Alright, I was planning on covering I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas for the UG Rock Album compilation. Thing is, I'm just one guy and I don't sing.

I'm planning on just ripping the acapella for this song off of youtube so I can put it over the instruments that I record, but I was wondering, is that considered copyright infringement? Could I get banned or sued for that?
Well you're not gonna get sued unless you try to make money from it.
But you can't put other peoples work on your mp3 player without their permission.
You can get a warning or ban for that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by jetfuel495
So the fact that the vocals are taken directly out of the original makes it against the rules, I guess?
Yeah, even pulling an individual track out of a copyrighted song is still a copyright infringement.

We wanna hear you, or you and your band.
Collaborating with other musicians, whether they're on UG or not is okay, too.
But they have to be willing participants.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Yeah, even pulling an individual track out of a copyrighted song is still a copyright infringement.

We wanna hear you, or you and your band.
Collaborating with other musicians, whether they're on UG or not is okay, too.
But they have to be willing participants.

Yeah I'd love to collaborate with a full band over UG but I don't think I'd find many people willing to participate in a Black Eyed Peas cover :/

I may post a project advert when I get more time, though.
You might want to check out this site: http://www.copyright.gov/

Generally, you can't use anyone else's recorded intellectual property unless:
  • You compensate them, or
  • You have express permission, or
  • Your use falls into some form of "Fair Use."

Usually, Fair Use in music/video falls into one of 2 categories- Parody/Transformation or De Minimus use.

With Parody/Transformation, whatever use you have made of the original work significantly changes the nature and character of the original work so that it is essentially something new. Weird Al Yankovic's career is founded on that principle. However, it should be noted that he tries to clear each and every sample or composition he parodies- even though by law it wouldn't be required- in order to be respectful of the original artists and to stave off costly lawsuits.

With De Minimus use, you have used so little of the original work that it does not affect the value of the work sampled, or your use is so obscured/distorted/indistinct that it is not readily identifiable. (See Sandoval v. New Line Cinema Corp., 147 F.3d 215 (2d Cir. 1998).)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!