Right now, I've been playing for about a year and a half. I have a nice setup in my studio, but my starter amp just doesn't cut it anymore. I have a Jackson KE3 Kelly, and I'm looking into a new amp. I literally don't know anything about amps yet. I play a little bit of everything, as I haven't developed my own "style" yet, I just learn what I can. I would like to spend around $700 if I can, but I'd go as high as $1,000. Noise is a small issue, because the room isn't completely soundproof (but I have an agreement with my neighbors that during the daytime hours, I'm free to play as loud as I want, so I want to still be able to crank it up and enjoy what I'm playing). I occasionally jam with my friend, he plays drums and bass. So I need an amp that won't be drowned out by the drums, but still has a good sound at a lower volume. I want this to be an upgrade that lasts me a while.

My questions are:

Is there a preferred brand?
Should I get a combo? Or a half/full stack?
Whats the difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp?
Which would be better for my situation?

Overall, I'm looking for the best amp for my situation. Any suggestions?
combos are easier, but halfstacks would sound better because there are more speakers so you can get a more diverse sound, i think

check out peavey, fender, mesa (used)
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Beings you don't know what your style is yet, check out the Line 6 Flextone. It's a good sounding modeler amp within your budget. My friend had one for a while and his sounded great. Also it's a 2x12 so it's in between a combo and stack in terms of speaker dynamic.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by pl0x4

My questions are:

Is there a preferred brand?
Should I get a combo? Or a half/full stack?
Whats the difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp?
Which would be better for my situation?

Overall, I'm looking for the best amp for my situation. Any suggestions?

1.There is no really preferred brand. just the right wattage.well for your situation atleast.

2.a combo would be easier to work with, but with a halfstack youd be getting more tones out of it (depends on the head you get) it will also help to get one now, because eventually youll want to get one. and if you get a cab now, when you get the head you want in the future youll just get the head, and save some cash on the cab. unless you want to buy it.

3.i know what the difference between tube and solid state, but i cant explain it lol.
ill try(if im wrong people correct me)

tube amps= tube amps use TUBES (lol) and generally sound different and have a warmer sound.

Solid State=They use transistors (?) to get they're sound and can range from crappy to really good.

although many people will tell you that "OMG T3h So0L1d Sta7e Suck!!!" its not generally true. some can be really good, and the same can be said for tube amps. some tube amps can suck. although alot less tube amps suck than solid state.

4.well, perfect for you would be a low wattage halfstack. i cant reccomend any because you didnt specify :

Genre:
Budget:
Are u willing to go used?:

after you answer that i can reccomend some amps.

Genre
Classical Guitarist
Wrong forum, reported so it gets moved...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Zep_shizzle
1.There is no really preferred brand. just the right wattage.well for your situation atleast.

2.a combo would be easier to work with, but with a halfstack youd be getting more tones out of it (depends on the head you get) it will also help to get one now, because eventually youll want to get one. and if you get a cab now, when you get the head you want in the future youll just get the head, and save some cash on the cab. unless you want to buy it.

3.i know what the difference between tube and solid state, but i cant explain it lol.
ill try(if im wrong people correct me)

tube amps= tube amps use TUBES (lol) and generally sound different and have a warmer sound.

Solid State=They use transistors (?) to get they're sound and can range from crappy to really good.

although many people will tell you that "OMG T3h So0L1d Sta7e Suck!!!" its not generally true. some can be really good, and the same can be said for tube amps. some tube amps can suck. although alot less tube amps suck than solid state.

4.well, perfect for you would be a low wattage halfstack. i cant reccomend any because you didnt specify :

Genre:
Budget:
Are u willing to go used?:

after you answer that i can reccomend some amps.

Genre

My budget limit is $1,000, and I'm not sure what you mean by genre. I'm willing to go used in the sense that if I like a used amp, then I'd just get the same amp, but new (I don't know if age/use has to do with tone, so I'd just like to get the most bang for my buck, correct me if I'm wrong).
Last edited by pl0x4 at Oct 30, 2009,
He meant, what kind of music do you play? When you're trying to pick out an amplifier, what style of music you play matters.
Quote by pl0x4
My budget limit is $1,000, and I'm not sure what you mean by genre. I'm willing to go used in the sense that if I like a used amp, then I'd just get the same amp, but new (I don't know if age/use has to do with tone, so I'd just like to get the most bang for my buck, correct me if I'm wrong).

He means that what genres you play will affect what amps we recommend...and whether or not you will buy an amp second hand, or if it has to be brand new.
Another way to look at the 'What you play' or 'What Genres' is this.

Do you like to play cleanly with little or no distortion and how important are cleans to you?

Do you like American voiced stuff like Fender and Mesa or do you like British voiced stuff like Marshall and Vox? Or German?

Give us an example of how heavy of stuff you want to play. How much distortion do you think you need?

Genres are things like: Country, Jazz, Rock, Thrash metal, Neoclassical-nu-melodic-death-metal, etc.

Someone helped with the other questions already.

Otherwise, get a modeling amp as mentioned.
He probably doesn't know the difference between the different voicings, if he doesn't know anything about amps. I would recommend a flextone to anybody who doesn't really know what they want to play yet.
^good point Imihay. I actually considered not typing that.

The reason I left it is that often people are knowledgeable of who their fav bands/artists might be and that can actually help guide the discussion

Dark, bright, fuzzy, clean, chimey, chuggy, sonic ball busting are all terms that can help too.
He may never come back, so it doesn't matter anyway. He hasn't posted for over an hour. I wasn't trying to sound uppity, about (Read with an English gentlemen's accent) "He does not know about voicings sir." But you're right, he could be knowledgeable about the bands he listens to. It would help if we new what bands he liked and what he wanted to play.