So I,m making an electric guitar, and I have access to some free wood (wooooo.) but it's fairly thin. could you stack wood to build a body, like plywood style and make it sound decent? It would only be two or three layers deep.

This will also be a build thread (or an extreme mod thread, kinda depends on how you look at it). Im getting a pawnshop special from my friend tomorrow and Im gonna build a new body for it. Ill try to make it pic heavy. And Ill update when I can.

My plan is to take a strat-copy and use the neck and electronics to build my own body. The body is going to be a clone of a Rickenbacker 4001 only scaled for a guitar instead of a bass.

Hopefully pics tomorrow of the guitar before I mod it.
no sir away a papaya war is on
yes.

it has been done and sold for lots of moneys.

and that sounds cool!!! what sound do you want?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Did someone say Zoot Suit SG?

Also, sounds decent. I'm interested.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I don't know what sound Im looking for yet. bassically I just love 4001's and I want to do a build. Im deciding between several different woods right now, everything from mahogany to maple. Ash is an option. so are a couple of local woods. So thats what im thinking as far as tone woods.
oh hey, I forgot about the zuit suit sg. probably because eventhough I love sgs, and zuit suits, I want to kill whoever decided to combine them.
well, what guitar players do you like?

which sounds of theirs most impress you?

for example, I think Stevie Ray Vaughan's tone in his studio recording of Wall of Denial may be the coolest tone ever on guitar.

lemme guess, Patrick Stump's tone on Dance Dance?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

i just have so many influances that I can't decide, actually is there a good wood for a punk tone? I play alot of that and it would be cool to have a guitar just for punk.
Ash would probably be good. Nice and harsh to cut through a mix.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
thanks. I guess I should say that Im not exactly building my dream guitar right now. Im more than anything just goofing off and practicing so when I make my dream guitar (or bass) I won't tottally muff it.
what pickups are you planning on?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

im gonna use the pickups out of my friends (soon to be mine) silvertone strat copy. s-s-s
Quote by bv310
Ash

After looking at your avatar I found this exceptionally humorous.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
After looking at your avatar I found this exceptionally humorous.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, indeed. Also, panic, your sig gives me mixed emotions. The one im gonna settle on is creeped out.

Okay I'm off to buy the silvertone.
Quote by the_perdestrian
HAHAHAHAHAHA, indeed. Also, panic, your sig gives me mixed emotions. The one im gonna settle on is creeped out.

Okay I'm off to buy the silvertone.

Was aroused among any those emotions? By the way this looks like a sick build.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
your sig just gives me a big wtf.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the_perdestrian
Also, panic, your sig gives me mixed emotions. The one im gonna settle on is creeped out.

it's awesome for haloween though.

I think it will be okay just layering 2 or 3 layers. Some people hate plywood but really at the end of the day most bodies are glued together vertically so i don't think it can do too much harm. How thin is too thin anyway? Bearing in mind that the standard body size is 45mm but i don't know how big a ric body is.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
This build sounds like the rickenbacher guitar with the 4001 body, i think it was called the 480. apparently it looked great but sounded like ass and was a bit shocking
Okay, pics tonight. I would post now but I have to go to work. Got the silvertone and have taken it apart. It had a plywood body (blah).

Also I believe Im going to take brocks advice and use ash. It was on my list of candidates anyway.

edit here are pics

Last edited by the_perdestrian at Nov 1, 2009,
So I bought my wood today. It's ash. Had a really hard time deciding between this and a piece of spalted alder. I love spalted wood so much. Any way here are some pics andthey should be more reasonably sized.

wood looks nice
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
you should have got both! made two guitars

tho, if you where to stain it, or w/e it would look kinda weird
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.