I want to record better, professional quality vocals.

Right now I am using a Line 6 UX1 Interface and a Samson USB CO1U condenser mic.

It is pretty bad quality mic. But I am running straight through my USB with no sound card. Just using sound processor on me motherboard.

Now I want some good sounding vocals because I am interested in recording Death Growls and Power Metal Vocals. And I also need a mic that picks up a lot and doesn't require you to up the gain and cause a crap load of white noise.

But what should I get?

Should I get a better quality mic, a better interface, or a really good soundcard?

Which would make the biggest improvement in my sound?

Thanks!
Quote by MuffinMan
I hope for a day when circumcised and uncircumcised penises can live together in harmony!

Quote by Kensai
Cowslayer, I recognize you as the Emperor of the universe. I applaud you in your awesomeness.
A UX1 is fine at the moment, it's an interface and a soundcard, you just want to plug a microphone through that, for growls an sm57 is usually better than a 58, condensers aren't usually a good idea unless you're doing cleans and usb mics are always a bad idea.

Bottom line - get a Shure Sm57, you can do growls and also mic guitar cabs and snares with it.
But I was always told that condensers are better for micing an amp.

Is this wrong?
Quote by MuffinMan
I hope for a day when circumcised and uncircumcised penises can live together in harmony!

Quote by Kensai
Cowslayer, I recognize you as the Emperor of the universe. I applaud you in your awesomeness.
You can use certain condensers on an amp.

But the Sm57 is definately the most used mic, it's tried and tested and featured on thousands of albums.
Yes. Yes it is.

It can work, but chances are you won't like it unless it's blended with another mic with a more sm57-ish character like... Ooh, I dunno, an SM57.
But don't even think about blending mics. Get an SM57, learn it, learn how to use it properly.
One SM57 in the correct place is enough for andy sneap so it should be enough for you too.
Quote by Cowslayer
But I was always told that condensers are better for micing an amp.

Is this wrong?

There's far too many factors that go into making a generalization like that, because really it comes down to the mic, and the application. You could find a dozen condensers that would sound great on your guitar amp, and a dozen condensers that would sound like complete crap. Same applies to dynamics. There are engineers out there who swear by certain ribbon mics (I see the Royer R-122 popping up a lot), there's also engineers who swear by SM57's, and there's also engineers who swear by something else. Point is that different microphones accentuate different sonic characteristics. Better in this case is purely subjective.
Last edited by take_it_t at Oct 31, 2009,
You were always told... That says a lot. take_it_t is telling you RIGHT.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by Beefmo
A UX1 is fine at the moment, it's an interface and a soundcard, you just want to plug a microphone through that, for growls an sm57 is usually better than a 58, condensers aren't usually a good idea unless you're doing cleans and usb mics are always a bad idea.

Bottom line - get a Shure Sm57, you can do growls and also mic guitar cabs and snares with it.

the 57 and the 58 are the same mic.the 58 just has a different case with a built in spit guard so it doesnt really affect the sound of a guitar amp.it is worth paying the extra money for the 58 for vocals tho.the 58 beta is a different mic however with a voicing to the standard 58.its similar to the 57 but its voiced more towards vocals.t bone do really good cheap copies of shure mics.the only thing is they can be a bit inconsistent regards quality
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
NO THEY ****ING ARE NOT THE SAME

yes they are.they use the same cartridge and they have the same frequency response curve.the only difference is the grill nd how it is integrated into the mic.because of the u can get the diaphragm closer to the sound source with the sm57 compared to the sm58 which gives it a tiny difference sonically but electronics wise they are the exact same mic.look it up on the shure website
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
i pulled this from the shure site

"The SM57 and SM58 microphones are based on the same cartridge design. The main difference is in the grille design. The SM58 was designed for vocal application and it uses a ball grille that acts as an effective pop filter. The SM57 was designed as an instrument microphone where a smaller grille size is preferred. In this application, pop and wind are not usually a concern.
The SM57 uses an integral resonator/grille assembly, where grille is actually a part of the cartridge. These two grille designs place the diaphragm of each microphone in a different acoustical environment. The distance from the top of the grille to the diaphragm is shorter on the SM57 compared to that of the SM58. This allows for a closer miking position with a more pronounced proximity effect. The different resonator/grille assembly design of the SM57 is also responsible for its slightly higher output above 5 kHz
."

from what i gather there pretty much the same mic, except for the grille design. although this grille design difference does produce slightly different results in close range.
Last edited by MetalBass 77 at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by MetalBass 77

from what i gather there pretty much the same mic

Except that one was designed for vocals and the other was designed for instruments?

They do sound fundamentally different, if you'd used both for the same application you would know, I like the sm57 for growls more than the 58 and it is multi-purpose as well as lower cost.