Right, I've been researching for a hell of a lot of time, because I'm looking to purchase a new guitar but I don't want to spend mass amounts of money on it, I want something costly and efficient. I've considered and sampled at least 75 different guitars. I love the way how Les Paul inspired guitars and the Les Paul itself plays, but like I said, I'm on a really low budget £375 (About $615) - I could exceed probably though. I've also looked at Fender Jaguar's but if I were to get one I'd probably have to pick up something that's been Used and has a slight bit of damage - also I think the sound is a little too bare for my liking, it sounds fairly acoustic.

Basically, I'll just summarise it; I need somebody, anybody to add any good quality guitars that I could purchase under my budget - I'm looking for a Grungy/Alternative/Indie sound, nothing to go over or exceed a sound within the zone of Hendrix and Black Sabbath's work with Ozzy Osbourne, here's my current list of guitars I might purchase, I need to come down with one, could anybody contribute towards this list or recommend something?

Ibanez ART 300,
Gibson Les Paul Studio or Junior (I'd have to get a pre-owned one.)
Epiphone Standard/Special/Custom,

Contributions please? Thanks.
I'd check out the Michael Kelly Patriot Custom. Around £370 I believe, Les Paul type shape and the reviews I've seen all say that it's a giant killer in terms of price.
Agile +3000 series, if you want on the cheap and good.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Agile +3000 series, if you want on the cheap and good.

He's in England, I wish people would stop recommended Agiles to English people. The shipping and tax is ridiculous.

Check out Michael Kelly, Vintage AV1 series, and TC Ellis, and Tokai.
Right, would any of these have more pros than the Epiphone LP Standard? Thanks for the recommendations, I'll research these, keep 'em coming

Also I've acknowledged that some of these have quite a muddy sound, I'm looking for a solid sound, but then again I guess that really depends on the amp.
Last edited by J.Simpson at Oct 30, 2009,
I'd go with an Epiphone LP Standard, the Standards have a better body than the LP Customs or Studios, its slighty slimmer I believe and has a better reach to the 22nd fret.
Also if you really don't like the pickups that come with the Epiphone you could always change it for a good £100+ after a few months.
Epiphones are awesome, I love mine.
Washburn X50Pro!

Or go secondhand - you can normally get the same guitar in good nick for 1/2 to 3/4 of its retail price.
Quote by J.Simpson
Right, would any of these have more pros than the Epiphone LP Standard? Thanks for the recommendations, I'll research these, keep 'em coming

Also I've acknowledged that some of these have quite a muddy sound, I'm looking for a solid sound, but then again I guess that really depends on the amp.

Michael Kelly are a bit more expensive than an Epi, but will blow them out of the water. They sound clear, check out YouTube vids of them to see.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
He's in England, I wish people would stop recommended Agiles to English people. The shipping and tax is ridiculous.

translation: "I really wish they had a dealer outside the us"

Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Oct 30, 2009,
The Ibanez RGA42FM is another one to look at, pretty similar to the ART320 but in a strat style. I think the pickups are also slightly better.

EDIT: What about a MIM HSS Strat ? It will do hendrix very well and I think you can get it new with your budget.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by falconthefirst at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by falconthefirst
The Ibanez RGA42FM is another one to look at, pretty similar to the ART320 but in a strat style. I think the pickups are also slightly better.

EDIT: What about a MIM HSS Strat ? It will do hendrix very well and I think you can get it new with your budget.

And they're not actually that bad
Quote by zhilla
Washburn X50Pro!

Or go secondhand - you can normally get the same guitar in good nick for 1/2 to 3/4 of its retail price.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH Don't tell him about the Washburn, its too good
T.C.Ellis Series 2 will lose any of the big brands for finish, playability, setup and price.
Here's the official demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmJYUCBw3BI&feature=player_embedded
And here is my mates fitst go on his Mantis hollow which cost £320 with Duncans in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNVdj-StWC0&feature=player_embedded
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

You want a Grungy/Alternative/Indie sound?? Well I don't know any grunge or indie bands that use les pauls. I'd strongly suggest something like a fender stratocaster or a telecaster which fits perfectly in your budget. They're great guitars, too.

And I wouldn't suggest the gibson les paul junior/studio because it's over budget, and also the juniors sound is not the typical les paul sound to be honest.
Quote by dotheFlop
You want a Grungy/Alternative/Indie sound?? Well I don't know any grunge or indie bands that use les pauls. I'd strongly suggest something like a fender stratocaster or a telecaster which fits perfectly in your budget. They're great guitars, too.

And I wouldn't suggest the gibson les paul junior/studio because it's over budget, and also the juniors sound is not the typical les paul sound to be honest.

I can name several bands that successfully produce a great sound with a Les Paul, I'm staying away from Stratocasters, I already own one and it's great. For now I'm going to keep looking probably.
I am assuming you do not live in the US so I would say look at Epiphone Les Pauls contrary to what a lot of people love to post they are the closest LP shaped guitar you'll get to a Gibby LP. Agiles a re great but i am not sure if they will ship overseas.

I see you already have an Epi LP maybe just upgrading it might do the trick. Finding a used Gibson LP here for a decent price is very easy I have no clue what the market is like over there. It looks like you are doing the right thing though by trying as many guitars as possible. I can't tell people enough you need to try guitars out if your looking for one.

Michael Kellys are not bad I have tried a few but nothing really stands out to me they look good seem to be built well but they lack in tone IMO at least all the ones I have tried anyway.

Don't rule out guitars you never heard of! I played something called a J3 (LP copy) that was amazing and only $250.00.

If I didn't just get two guitars I would have taken it home with me and in two weeks it's still there I will.

John
Vantage is in Europe right, don't they make good copies for around that price?
I think I'm down to the Epiphone LP Standard, Michael Kelly's, Ibanez ART 300 & Agile 3000, Epiphone being at the top of the list, Ibanez being second, Kelly's at 3rd and Agile at 4th.
if you're willing to go used, you could probably pick up an MIJ tokai or other japanese-made LP copy for your budget. you have to be careful, though, because it's not always easy to determine the model (and a lot of sellers don't care as long as it gets them more money), and there are fakes around.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Have to say I'm pretty pleased with the second-hand Michael Kelly Patriot Q that I got. I've never played an Epi or Gibson LP though, so I really wouldn't know how to compare them. IS there a UK equivalent of Craig's List?...I got mine for $200 USD.
www.rondomusic.com

their higher end gear (500-800 dollar range) is of godly quality, much greater than many high-end BC Rich guitars, though many will beg to differ
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
Quote by burnboy85
Used Gibson V?

That's actually a good suggestion, but the thing is, where can I get a Used Flying V in the UK or Online where I don't have to pay a mad price for shipping?

Quote by Wondergaurd
www.rondomusic.com

their higher end gear (500-800 dollar range) is of godly quality, much greater than many high-end BC Rich guitars, though many will beg to differ

Like I previously stated, I'm not so keen on spending over $30 on shipping, I also need a new amp and I'm hoping to get a Line6 Spider IV, so I need some leftovers.
Washburn or Vintage are the two best bets, I think they're the best value under £500 in the UK.
You should be able to get a Washburn WI66 Pro for that, or the X50. Both are brilliant guitars.
As for Vintage, I don't know models for them, I just know they're awesome quality, especially from the ones I've tried. Just can't remember the models.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Also look at this. Agile 3000 prestige, $385. This guy's budget: $615. I think he can manage shipping so long as rondo will actually do it.

That's provided an Agile is what the ts is looking for though. If you want a LP copy done right for much less, the Agile 3000's do also come with P90's if you wanted to go that route. If not, I'd recommend the MIM HSS strat. Another factor would be quality control. If you're not willing to take a chance on quality, MIM. Agiles are hit or miss, you either get a great guitar or a piece of crap, but if you get the latter you can send it back and they'll replace it.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
Also look at this. Agile 3000 prestige, $385. This guy's budget: $615. I think he can manage shipping so long as rondo will actually do it.

Shipping? Maybe. It cost me $150 to ship a body blank of wood from the States to here. I can't imagine it with a guitar.
Import tax? That's a pain. Also, I'm sure the guitar would get damaged somehow during the overseas.

The Agile is a great deal in the States. In the UK though, when you have the option of Washburn, Vintage, TC Ellis, it's just not worth it.
Right, it's now Epiphone vs Agile now.

I'm not sure what Epiphone I'll get if I end up getting one, most likely a Standard for that classic Gibson sound.

The Agile's I've only seen in two videos, which I was blown away by, I'm going to make this decision wisely, any contributions would be appreciated.

(Oh, and I've still not passed on the ART 300, but I don't think I'm going to go for it any more.)