Marshall JCM 800 2203KK
4 31%
ENGL Powerball
5 38%
ENGL Savage 120
4 31%
Voters: 13.
Marshall JCM 800 2203KK

ENGL Powerball (dun realli like the knobs, looks weird on the amp)

ENGL Savage 120

Well I've been looking around for a while around the stores at my place and the only 2 brands I'm interested in are Marshall and ENGL. I kinda want a sound like C.O.B and also a Thrash metal sound. Clean doesn't matter that much to me since I still play clean parts with a bit of distortion. Well actually it's pretty obvious that the ENGLs are better overall but still I kinda want to know what other people think. Live I just play straight through the amp, maybe with a OD and a noise gate (the KK has one built in also).

Also do I need a hot plate? I'd be playing it mostly at home so I don't want to blow the roofs off. Current amp Krank Rev Jr. Krank is great but I just feel that is isn't right for me. The tone just feels different from the other amps I've played (not that it sucks, it has like a distinctive sound to them... at least to me it does).
Last edited by MeLodicDethMTL at Oct 30, 2009,
I'd go for the powerball. If you are playing at home and don't want to play too loud, for best results you probably want an attenuator because it's going to be loud as hell. The KK JCM is pretty overpriced as far as I know, I remember hearing tons of sound clips when it first came out and the od isn't even that great. Might as well get an engl and shell out the little bit extra for a better gate/od.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
This belongs in GG&A.

The Savage destroys the other two, IMO. The KK has bad cleans and thin distortion (IMO), and the Powerball just isn't as good as the Savage, but the Powerball does cost alot less. What about a regular JCM 800? Doesn't Children of Bodom use those?

Also take a look at the ENGL Blackmore, it's a bit lower gain than the Savage and would suit your needs a bit more specifically.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
This belongs in GG&A.

The Savage destroys the other two, IMO. The KK has bad cleans and thin distortion (IMO), and the Powerball just isn't as good as the Savage, but the Powerball does cost alot less. What about a regular JCM 800? Doesn't Children of Bodom use those?

Also take a look at the ENGL Blackmore, it's a bit lower gain than the Savage and would suit your needs a bit more specifically.

I would probably stick to ENGL since I know the owner and already bought alot from the store. I actually could try the amps they hav unlike the Marshall dealer cuz last time my friend asked to try a JVM he let us play the AVT... I doubt they even hav the JCM outside so we could try it.

Btw anyone know anything about the difference between Savage 120 and Savage SE? I've tried the Savage and yes it was awesome! My friend and I tried the powerball but IMO dun realli like it as much... actually I like the savage by far

Also cab go for Marshall JCM 800 or the ENGLs.
Ok now I'm kinda worrying about the price. I checked musicians friends and a ENGL powerball was $2000 and in my local stores site says $2467 (converted to USD). I think I ought to go ask the owner about the price (for discount )

As for the Savage I hav no idea how much it cost since I dun see it on the site (but obviously they hav it since I've played it)
Reported wrong forum ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.