Alright so I just worked a sh*tload. I worked from 12:30pm yesterday to 6am this morning. Its 9:30 am now and I still havnt went to sleep yet. I'm in this really wierd state of mind right now. I picked up the guitar and found myself extremly creative for some reason. I've been coming up with more and more ideas within the past few hours.

Have any of you ever noticed this? Ever tried it? Try it! So wierd mann.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
Do you work at an office where everyone smokes weed?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
i had noticed this once also, maybe it is because your not focusing on thing that will block your creativity. like some guitar rules.. aka scales etc.
Quote by larrytheguitar
Do you work at an office where everyone smokes weed?

sound reasoning
I know. I only get inspired randomly when I'm trying to convince myself to sleep for work or school, and then I'm up all night because I won't let the moment go to waste.
i end up sitting in my room writing songs... thinking up possible chord changes and talkin to mah homies... Its sweet to have people to bounce ideas off of.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I know. I only get inspired randomly when I'm trying to convince myself to sleep for work or school, and then I'm up all night because I won't let the moment go to waste.

exactly lol. I did that shit last night. I am more creative and feel more inspired at night, which lends itself to me never sleeping.
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
If you're kind of burnt out and tired, you aren't thinking as much about what you're doing. Sometimes you will come up with nothing and sometimes it'll work perfectly. Just one of those things.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
i prefere falling to sleep and waking up before i play my guitar :P considering how tired you would be after that long working. I think Hendrix wrote a fair few songs when he was high, maybe he wrote all of them when he was high lol. Maybe you have a knack for making songs when your tired
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

I love playing when im tired and worn out. I do play alot of creative things. But i forget most of them later. Which sucks.
Dude, it's fun to just sit down in a comfy chair, close your eyes, and just play half-asleep. Some cool stuff happens.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
what it is is when u play normally you are so worried about sounding good you cant think about anything new but when you are tired high drunk or just plain dont give a damn u can think up some riffs and rhythms that sound great but remember to record them or write them down as tabbs or u will never remember them i have a notebook beside my bed where i have drawn a template for tabs so if i have a burst in creativity i can write it down and i have a small digital audio recorder so i can hear how the riff went at the time.
Nick Drake used to stay up until early in the morning and write melodies when he was tired. He considered them "lullabys".

I find that I do the same thing often.
Quote by thabiggwiggle
what it is is when u play normally you are so worried about sounding good you cant think about anything new but when you are tired high drunk or just plain dont give a damn u can think up some riffs and rhythms that sound great but remember to record them or write them down as tabbs or u will never remember them i have a notebook beside my bed where i have drawn a template for tabs so if i have a burst in creativity i can write it down and i have a small digital audio recorder so i can hear how the riff went at the time.

cool punctuation, bro...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
There l was in the desert with a horse with no name, and there was a place called hotel calafornia Thats where i got my best writting,or was it STRAWBERRY FIELDS?
Quote by j37h307
Alright so I just worked a sh*tload. I worked from 12:30pm yesterday to 6am this morning

You worked for seventeen and a half hours lol?

On topic, ya, I do find I am generally more creative when I'm tired, or at least late at night/early morning. Sucks, at those times I usually can't get my guitar out to muck about
Same thing happens to me, but I'm too lazy to write anything down I come up with.
Playing in different conditions than what you're used to can spark new ideas. Steve Vai made For the Love of God after a 7 day fast or something.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I'm sober. Well kinda, I quit smokin the weed and drinkin october 4th 2008. Exactly one year later I started smokin again in moderation to spark some creativity. I find a change in environment also sparks creativity.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
I'm stone sober too exactly a year. I play way more often and way better now. Instead of getting plowed and picking up the guitar and fumbling around I can play it now without total loss of motor skills. What a difference.
This makes me think of a poem called 'Nighttime' made by Henry Bowers. If you're in to spoken word, you should really check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ7u0eEqNy0

And for myself, if there's one time that I'm creative then it's when I'm tired, the time when I come up with the most dope riffs. I really need to start write 'em down, memorizing is not an option when I'm that tired.
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
occassionally i`ll wake up in the middle of the night, with a urgent need to play, and have wriiten complete songs from this in less than a hour (some of epic length), i call it 3am inspiration, but the idea probably stemmed from a dream.......dreams come from recent experiences
When I do this is usually when i mess around with tunings, chords, and making my own scales that have no doubt already been made.
Sounds like you were high on...lack of sleep

I'm so going to try it when I can next. Trouble is, I never really get tired
I have experience this before too .., i use to find that i played better after coming home from work. Its probally because were tired and we just play without thinking.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

I feel this myself, when im tierd im blocking out all the "Must come up with something", I just let my hands take me away.

When im tierd and pick up the guitar, I kinda forget all other licks that kinda gets stuck with me (you know what I mean, these licks that you always play and they just start to sound boring).
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Im gonna go ahead and guess that it has to do with the subconscious mind in a state were it is more active then ones conscious mind. Therefore it is somewhat free to do what it wants and be creative on the guitar, and can take all the information it has gathered about playing the guitar and put a lot of into action when you are not thinking about it, or intentionally trying to be creative. Where as with a conscious mind focuses on what it already knows what already sounds good, rather than something new.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
When I am very tired my playing goes downhill rapidly. I find it best when I am well rested and up for it.