Imagine due to some bizarre circumstances (have fun making your own story) you are forced to use one, and only one, bass for the rest of your life. No custom models, factory models only with a US$2000 cost limit. What would you choose?

(A more interesting may of asking what is your favourite tone, would you stick with one tone or versatlity etc.)

I would say a deluxe Fender Jazz V, I can do everything that I need a bass to do. Seriously versatile and every tone I've heard them make has been spot on. If I was pushed to only use one set tone I'd still go with a punchy/growly Jazz bass.
Not a bass player. I like 6 better.
RIP Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan
Quote by PuRs3l

Outstanding contribution to the conversation there, my man.

Just so you know, basses can have six strings too...
Quote by PuRs3l

go troll elsewhere.

anyway i would most likely take right now a Ric 4001 or a Mike Dirnt P-bass (i played one and loved it the tele neck is pretty awesome imo)
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
id get a 6string bass, and restring it with elec guitar strings and shred on it rofl
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
id get a 6string bass, and restring it with elec guitar strings and shred on it rofl

reported.

are guitards out in force or something all i have seen is troll troll troll from some of them recently its getting really annoying you have a forum called electric guitar so leave bassists in peace instead of making yourself look like numpties...
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
rofl it was a joke damn >.> if anything id go for some sort of warlock, i love how their necks feel, i think i played an 1800$ one in my guitar center not too long ago
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
hmm.

I'll go with my Warwick Mastermann.

if I had to use only one tone, bass 7/8ish full, treble full (neck side) bass full, treble halfway (bridge), blend at 3/4 neck, 1/4 bridge.

with this

if amp settings are required too.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
A 6 string, probably a custom shuker, with MM and J pickups. Tune f#,b,e,a,d,g. That would do me.
Woops factory models, then a Second hand MM bongo, Dual H, same tunings. Through a trace elliot.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Couldn't do it.

I really could not.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Music Man Stingray HH, Maple Neck, Gunmetal Blue Body, Gold Swirl Pickgaurd, Gold Hardware... Ahh It was awesome...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Fender Marcus Miller Jazz, fulfills all my manly needs
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Black Stingray with gold hardware 5-String.

and those new Ibanez SR Prestige´s look sexay.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Six string Warwick Streamer. Easily.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Hmmmm, not sure if its within the $2000 limit, but if I could swing it, I'd go for a Rickenbacker 4004Cii Cheyenne.

Failing that, I'd get a G&L ASAT bass. I could play one of those forever
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Does it have to be stock? If not, how much can we mod it? And do the mods have to fit the budget (I'd assume they would)? If we can mod it, I'd use my current main bass, a Spector NS-2J-EX with a Kahler Trem. That actually goes a bit over budget (probably around $2100), but it wouldn't if I could actually find a Kahler 2400 used.

If it has to be stock, maybe a used Dingwall Afterburner, if I can find one for $2000 (they're $2800 new, IIRC, so its possible)

If it has to be stock and new, **** it. I don't know. I can't think of a single bass that costs under $2000 new that I would be happy with using as my only bass for the rest of my life if I can't mod it at all.

EDIT: As for tones, on the Spector my usual tone for it is with both pickups all the way up and the EQ flat, sometimes I tweak it a little, usually by slightly lowering the neck pickup volume or boosting the mids slightly.

For the Dingwall, I'd put both volume knobs all the way up, but I don't know what I'd do with the rotary tone thingy because I've never had the chance to try one out.

EDIT2: Nevermind, you can buy an Afterburner new for under $2000
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Oct 30, 2009,
Rickenbacker 4003/4001.

I love mine to death. Got it for $1500, so I think that counts.
Could I instead spend five years finding an idiot with a beat-up 62' Jazz Bass to convince to sell me it instead of just getting a new model?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Probably a Spector Euro 5'er in black cherry. Grrrrr. Yum.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Probably a Spector Euro 5'er in black cherry. Grrrrr. Yum.

Ditto.
Squier Mike Dirnt P-Bass.
That's right, a Squier.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Ibanez SR Prestige 5-string.

Or a Marcus Miller 5.

Or, my Schecter Stilletto Studio-5.

I'm a sucker for 5-strings, but honestly, I couldn't be much happier with a bass than I am right now. And it was $1550 under your price limit!
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Probably some sort of upright.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
american standard p bass
gear:
2005 ibanez grg, moded and painted.
2001 gibson sg
fender hot rod deluxe
1985 dunlop cry baby

soon to be gear
vox ac4tv, just need to sell my damn mg
home made fuzz
digitech whammy
marshall jcm 800
Quote by Vampire 255
Squier Mike Dirnt P-Bass.
That's right, a Squier.

pff get the fender one its downright sexy xD especially in black imo and doesnt have the star decal on it :P
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
either one of those creme colored Ric 4001's or an American Jazz Bass with a red transparent nitrocellulose finish. a family friend owns one. ooooh.....

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Sr5006E

I would do something to knock off that last 100 bucks. Maybe used. I don't know.

I haven't tried warwicks yet, so I'm just going to stick with what I know I love. I love both the feel and tone. And besides, if I never had to buy another bass, I could find a really good amp
MIA Jazz Bass
Rick 4001/4003
EBMM Stingray HH
One of the above, being 4 string.
Fender American Vintage 75 Jazz Bass.

Thing is a ****ing beauty.

Either that or the American Deluxe Jazz.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
my rick 4003 copy, it does everything i want from a bass. It's not ostentatious, it sounds great, it's affordable, there's every chance it'll appreciate in value due to Rickenbacker being bitchy little girls when it comes to copies, it feels amazing and did I mention how awesome it sounds
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
If we could mod it by changing the pickups, I'd use my Jag forever and ever... I probably will but eh

If I had to choose any other bass.

It would be a toss up between a Stinger or a Marcus Miller Jazz. Both in 4, both with the natural finish and maple fretboard.

Tone wise. with my Jag, if I'm using a pick I'll solo the neck pick-up or use both pickups in parallel, with fingers I'll change it around depending on what I do, but usually solo the neck pickup, or have them in parallel, (the bridge pick-up isn't used a whole heap, but its definitely needed)

on my amps ten band EQ, I boost the middle to higher end of the lows and the lower end of the low mids a bit, keep the mids at about neutral and the high mids to the lower end of the treble boosted just above the lower end.

I find this gives me a distinguished kick with a fair bit of clarity. I also play in a two piece that uses alot of bass chords with effects so it also gives me all the clarity I need for that with enough kick to keep it rocky as all hell. though most of the tone there comes from the pedal and freshness of the strings, so I go for playability on my bass,

if you can't play it clear, it wont sound clear.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by Razgriz_101
pff get the fender one its downright sexy xD especially in black imo and doesnt have the star decal on it :P

I actually prefer Squiers to Fenders.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Some kind of awesome Conklin 7. Tuned F#BEADGC, with Bartolinis and my current amp.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I think a 6-stringed Spector Euro 6 with D'Addario Nickel Roundwounds 50-135.
Tone:
Mid/high rich tone, with suffitient bass. Amp to suit that:
Ampeg SVT4PRO + SVT410 + SVT115