Unless it's hiding in the stickies, or dead for months, I didn't see a thread like this.

I just started wanting to play blues, kinda like jimi Hendrix and electric blues, but I don't understand how to improvise worth a turd.

I have access to all the scales in all the keys, I just don't know how to use them, I'm learning to memorize them in whole half orientation too.

So if anyone could teach me a box exercise or box riff that I can derive the concept from that would be a tremendous help.

If any more information is needed please ask

Thanks guys!
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Minor pentatonic/blues scale to start with. But beter yet, learn the licks they're playing. All the scales in the world are useless unless you don't know your phrases
How do I learn phrasing? And I can tell when some licks are from certain scales

Whole lotta love solo-minor blues scale

I just dot know how to derive something from a scale or such

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
just make $#!t up as you go along but stay in certain keys or whatever, that's all i do... my main idol is john mayer (who in turn IS influenced by hendrix & SRV) so just listen to hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan and even mayer and just be inspired and make up stuff as you go along... sounds a lot harder than it is.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
For blues, learn minor pentatonic scale with a b5 (blue note) in all positions on the fretboard. And then just try to create melodies and riffs that your favorite players play with that scale. Play a lot and listen, and you'll get it. And after mastering the minor pentatonic, you can learn the major pentatonic by the same principles. Just don't think it'll come fast and easily, some people play the blues all their life and still find some new things about it, so yeah, play and have fun with it

Edit: And I forgot, if you really want to play good blues, listen to records that are as old as it gets (Robert Johnson, Big Bill Broonzy, Leadbelly, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, etc.) and try to get as much ideas, phrasing and licks from it. Because all the newer blues styles are derived from the old ones and it's much easier and better to learn the old styles first.
Last edited by UNIe at Oct 30, 2009,
Should I try to stay away from licks inside of a certain position?

Like say I'm jamming in the key of b, should I stay in like the 7th postion of the scale(blues)

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
Should I try to stay away from licks inside of a certain position?

Like say I'm jamming in the key of b, should I stay in like the 7th postion of the scale(blues)

You should try to learn and adjust all the licks you know to all positions. I know how it's frustrating at the beginning, but it's worth it.
You need to start thinking about what they actually sound like because that's the most important thing, not the dots on the fretboard or what you do with your hands.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com