I posted a threat in Acoustic Guitar about a very old guitar that I bought.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221400

Look at the fret markers and you'll see that it's marked, 2, 5, 7, 10, 12, 14, 17. I've seen this before but never really gave it much thought and didn't want to bring it up for fear of looking stupid. ha ha Now that others are asking it's not so bad.

What's the deal with 2, 5, 7, 10, 12, 14, 17? Should it not be 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12 etc?
It's not like there's rules about that kind of thing. And if it's very old, then it could have been made before that was standardized.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Obviously most have it 3, 5, 7, 9, 12. I've never seen a 2, 5 etc. one before, although my RG has a marker on the first fret, but not the 13th, and there's a classical guitar in my school with a marker on the 10th.

It shouldn't be a big thing, I mean the point is to help you know where on the fretboard you are, but obviously going against the grain like that will mess people up if they are not used to it.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Yea, don't worry about it. If anything, just worry about how it plays/sounds.

I personally prefer no fret-markers.
404: Sig not found.
Maybe its a[n old] classical guitar thing? So if its a really old acoustic, it might have borrowed it from that? I have an acoustic that doesn't have a marker on the third fret but has one on the other spots (5,7,etc). A lot of guitars only have it on the12th, and some not at all. Always seems like it wasn't something super standardized, but just that its most common.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by Chaos Nil
Maybe its a[n old] classical guitar thing?

Classical guitars typically don't have fret markers.
You should look at the scale, if a non-guitar maker made it it would probably be out, which would also explain the fret markets.

I like the headstock btw, it has a bit of Merle Travis to it.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Classical guitars typically don't have fret markers.

Good point.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘