Hey all,

Lately, I've been trying to improv my legato technique. I've been using 16th note chromatic exercises (for example, on the high e string, frets 5-6-7-8)...

For hammer ons...

1.) Should the previous note be relieved by the next note? That is to say, if I hammer on from 5 to 6 or A to Bb, should my first finger (that frets the A) lift up after I sound the 6th fret (Bb)?

For pull offs...

2.) When I move to the next string, should all of my fingers plant themselves before I start pulling off? I am very confused as to what finger should anchor itself in order for the other notes to sound correctly. I always plant my index finger first as a permanent anchor, then, if I want to sound the first note with my pinky, I quickly plant my ring finger, and pull off with said pinky, and so on and so forth.

Thanks for any constructive replies.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Last edited by plainsight at Oct 30, 2009,
A: it would entirely depend on the situation, but generally you may want to keep it on for a little extra

B: It would depend what note you are trying to pull of to, for what fingers would be anchored, but u would want to think a head to have the fingers correctly anchored before pulling off