Page 1 of 2
Hi Guys,

About 2 months ago I got my Rockerveb 50. Now I love the amp, it's great, but I just don't think it's quite 'me'.

Although it sounds fantastic I think I've come to the conclusion that its a little too dark/warn sounding for my liking.

Like I say it's a bloody fantastic amp but I miss my EL34's

In my personal opinion it does cleans and high gain stuff fantastically but kinda sucks at anything in between, people say it's easy to get an easy AC/DC tone out of an Orange rockerverb 50, believe me, it's not. The Rockerverb is far too dark sounding imo for those tones.

Anyway, I know modern day marshalls are kinda frowned upon and I'm more of a fan of less is more in terms of knobs on an amp but I'm all for versatility.

Just wondering what your guys opinions are on this?

Yes i know it's pathetic that I got a £1100 amp 2 months ago and I'm already looking elsewhere but what can I do, tone is tone.

My local shop have just started stocking JVM's so when i get time I'll run down there and check it out.

Lastly if there are any 14 year olds on here who have never tried a high end Marshall and are going to tell me how much the JVM sucks by jumping on the bandwagon, please don't bother...

Anyway for comparison, Marshall JVM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZH1IivStFg&feature=related

Me playing my rockerverb http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTJTZAKxZCw&feature=channel
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Oct 30, 2009,
I much prefered the vintage modern tone to the JVM
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
I only have about 30 minutes on a JVM, and I've never played your Orange. However, I will say that I preferred the Vintage Modern to the JVM if you can push the tubes. Also check out Splawn amps.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
the JVM is a very good amp, i played the 410H yesterday and it impressed me a lot (not enough to defer me from getting a Dual Rectifier though!!!) I say go and play it and see what you think though its the best way to find out if you really do want to get it. also (and dont take this badly) i think its a bit short sighted of you to have bought an amp that you now dont like. I've been looking for a new amp for over a year now and have only just decided on the one i want. do more research before you buy.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
It's not a case of not liking the Orange. I like it a lot. It's just not 'me'

I'm wondering how the JVM differs to the DSL/TSL

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Play the JVM when they come in and make a decision.

I forgot, did you have the JVMs on your watch list 2 months ago?

Yes but i never had the opportunity to try one
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
I want a rockerverb, that's the amp I've been looking at. It's either that or a thunderverb. I really like JVM's though. I have also heard a lot of great things about the vintage modern series. Regarding your situation, you will always want something new. I get a different gas every time I go into a guitar center. Go and play everything you can get you're hands on, that's the only thing I can suggest.
@sharpant: i can understand, oranges are warm. the don't get that same 'cutting' mids sound from inbetween the high gain and clean, it is a warmer sound. i love my oranges(i went after the or50h cuz the classic 3xecc83/2xel34 setup).

i would either recommend trying out the 50h if you feel like keeping with orange, or def try b4 buying the marshall. but there are also plenty of better 'marshall' designs(like splawn) that will be made with more love and care. but **** it, it's about tone, make sure the marshall won't break and gives a good tone then go for it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
definatly try out the JVM extensively first, not to say its not a good amp but make sure its you first. Don't limit yourself to the one amp, there are amps besides Marshalls that do the Marshall thing better.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Well I've tried the vintage moderns and I didn't really like them.

I hear JCM800's sound poor at bedroom volumes but amazing cranked, so that doesn't help me.

All that is left to try is the JCM2000 DSL/TSL and the JVM. I will try the JVM very soon incase my local store sell it. I shall definably be keeping my Orange 2x12 though regardless of what head I have.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
just trade it for an original 800 2203 or 2204. If you are getting a high powered head i assume you aren't really going to be playing it in your bedroom most of the time.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
just trade it for an original 800 2203 or 2204. If you are getting a high powered head i assume you aren't really going to be playing it in your bedroom most of the time.

Nope. The thing is I play mostly in my room but I play pretty loud :P

I also don't agree with the 100w tube heads need to be cranked to sound good...

Sure they sound better cranked but there are a lot of tube amps that do sound good at low volumes.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Well, you know how feel about the JVMs. Just play it extensively and see what you think. Better value for you than I money wise. I actually would rather play a 800 and low volumes than a JVM.

If I remember Splawn's are kinda out of the question unless one pops up where you are otherwise, you'd just have to take people's word for it. Although I'm sure if you did it right, you could actually make money selling it if it ended up not being your thing. If you were closer to me, I'd offer a 1 month trade just for the fun of it.

I think the OR50 is a good idea, but I've never played one nor the VMs.
i dunno, for me I don't really care how i sound at low volumes. I have never had a problem EQing any of my amps to sound decent at low volumes. I feel like that is a worthless thing to consider when buying an amp. they are made for live performance, and made to be played loud. if you are just gonna be a bedroom player buy a lower wattage combo amp.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Well I'll go try out a JVM410H at my local some time next week. i'm going to put my Laney VC50 on the bay soon!

My ibanez Fireman custom guitar should be here very soon as well! Check the pics guys

http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17913&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=220
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
the JVM also doesn't have the classic marshall EL34 tone you are looking for. it has a weird spongy high gain sound that not a lot of people like. Its the most modern voiced marshall id say
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
yea i haven't played it too much. but it definitely has tons of gain, and the channels that sounded the best to me were the higher gain ones.

bottom line is im trying to get this guy to just buy an old marshall haha. way better.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Well i just took my VC50 out form under the desk to sell it and holy jizz.

I forgot how good its sounds... I think i prefer it too my Orange :S

Must be down to me loving EL34's. Sorry but there's my decision made, the orange has to go.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
pmeg - I felt the opposite. I thought the cleans were nice but the OD was too 'fake' sounding for lack of a better description. I didn't feel anything modern about it but maybe that's just my ears.

They are actually not hard to dial in once you get the hang of it. The separate controls for each channel is nice if you are into that kinda thing and it has MIDI I believe. I was actually going to suggest one of those 18w clones but I don't know much about them.
Well maybe the JCM2000 TSL will be a better choice. More simplistic amp as well in terms of channels.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
I really enjoyed the JVM. I got classic rock sounds just fine out of it.

All around good amp. The big difference is the JVM is midi capable while the tsl/dsl is not
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by sharpant
Well maybe the JCM2000 TSL will be a better choice. More simplistic amp as well in terms of channels.

Personally I liked the JVM better than the TSL but I don't like either all that much. They're definitely a try before you buy amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Selling my RV50 too, know exactly what you mean. Clean channel doesn't have enough life, dirty is great for leads, too mushy for tight rhythm. Not just metal, it just doesnt have that snappy tightness that a Marshall would have. I want a Bogner Shiva. Tone for days, it's like a bit hotter marshall, with crazy good cleans/reverb.

More than enough people have bad things to say about the TSL, by the way.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Last edited by dcdossett65 at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by dcdossett65
Selling my RV50 too, know exactly what you mean. Clean channel doesn't have enough life, dirty is great for leads, too mushy for tight rhythm. Not just metal, it just doesnt have that snappy tightness that a Marshall would have. I want a Bogner Shiva. Tone for days, it's like a bit hotter marshall, with crazy good cleans/reverb.

More than enough people have bad things to say about the TSL, by the way.

I always got the impression you weren't quite satisfied with yours.

If you were going to look into Marshall what particular amps would you consider?

What do you think is a fair price seeing as mine is only 4 weeks old and is MINT+ comes with footswitch?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
I just traded my TSL if that affects you at all. There's just no "life" to the amp, imo. If you love the way your VC sounds, why not just stick with it?
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
I wouldn't get the JVM, i played one and really hated it. It just seemed that even thought it technically had the versatility to do anything, it couldn't really do any of them well. The high gain was just really muddy and i got the feeling that the EQ wasn't very responsive. I don't remember too much about playing the mid gain channels but i definitely don't remember being impressed by them.

But thats just my opinion, i suppose you should try it yourself.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by spiff389
I just traded my TSL if that affects you at all. There's just no "life" to the amp, imo. If you love the way your VC sounds, why not just stick with it?

Cause the only thing I love about it is the lead channel
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
I always got the impression you weren't quite satisfied with yours.

If you were going to look into Marshall what particular amps would you consider?

What do you think is a fair price seeing as mine is only 4 weeks old and is MINT+ comes with footswitch?

It's a bit of a love hate thing. I turned it on and jammed for a bit after class today, wasn't happy. Later at night, much better. I have a strange feeling it's the way our ears percieve it at different times of the day or whatever. Anyway, i just want a clearer distortion with a bit more upper midrange, and a brighter voicing.

I could just go get a vertical input JCM800, but then I dont have reverb, or a dedicated clean channel, both of which I need/love. I also really would love a plexi, but they are effing loud. Anyone know if you can pull tubes to hit that sweet spot earlier on plexis?

Since yours is essentially new, I'd just knock off a few hundred from the original price, sell it with the impression they are getting a new amp, you just happened to need a different sound.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Check out Matamp, Cornell and Cornford in addition to Marshall.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Do it, the JVM get's too much hate here. (it's a loved amp everywhere else) Yeah, the highest gain channel is a bit fizzy, but the JVM is a gas killer, sounds great and has so much bottom end IMO.
Last edited by thrasher. at Oct 30, 2009,
DSL's sound better than TSL's, just sayin
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
jvm, you need to keep the master and the preamp about the same , I like the preamp a bit louder then the master to get more crunch out. an eq seems to help out all the amps i had.
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
Quote by sharpant
Well I've tried the vintage moderns and I didn't really like them.

I hear JCM800's sound poor at bedroom volumes but amazing cranked, so that doesn't help me.

All that is left to try is the JCM2000 DSL/TSL and the JVM. I will try the JVM very soon incase my local store sell it. I shall definably be keeping my Orange 2x12 though regardless of what head I have.

If you want a bedroom Marshall, try the Class V or any of the myriad of boutique-ish clone amps. If you want something for both bedroom and gigging try the Hazes or clones. No 50-100w Marshall will sound nearly as good at bedroom volumes as it does cranked. To play my 50w JMP Marshall at "bedroom" volumes, it is literally below 1 on the dial and sounds lifeless and choked. Same with any amp designed to be played loud, unless it has a built-in attenuator or you buy one.
Last edited by Chetbango at Oct 31, 2009,
Page 1 of 2