Hello, GG&A. What is the approximate market value of a custom-designed cabinet loaded with 4 12-inch Peavey Black Widow 1208-8 SPS speakers, that is covered with that ugly-ass gray carpet stuff with a bad caster? What would the value be if covered with tolex or tweed, and with 2 good casters?

Could I plausibly sell it on craigslist and get enough to buy a used JSX or 6505 2x12 combo?

EDIT: The speakers can be found on ebay for about 90, but their dealer market price is 150 or so. That's each, by the way.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Last edited by woodenbandman at Oct 30, 2009,
Honestly, those are kind of love/hate average cabs - I'm thinking maybe $200. Reclothining it and putting new casters on it would really cost that much if you did it yourself. I'm really guessing on the price.

Won't be enough to pay for a 6505 or JSX though

I think you know how to use the link in my sig based on your other thread. Select Peavey, Location and then type 'cab' or '412' or something in the Filter box and hunt. Actually, leave your location blank, it will broaden the search.

PS: I don't know how those Black Widows are viewed on the used market. How does it sound?
Anywhere between $80 and $250, depending whether your definition of 'custom-designed' is 'cheap piece of shit', or 'high quality handmade'. Also how well the prospective buyer knows their gear.
Why so low? It was made by someone who knows what they're doing for its previous owner. I've checked and the speakers go for 150 new, so it seems like it should be worth at least 300 used.

I'm about to give it a run, it's been a while since i've used it. I'll report on the sound a bit later.
My Blog

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
No way it'll go for $300 unless you sell it to some n00b. Cabs don't hold value well at all. A used Marshall 4X12 can go for $200. A 'custom-designed' cabinet would sell at the most for the same amount.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by woodenbandman
Why so low? It was made by someone who knows what they're doing for its previous owner. I've checked and the speakers go for 150 new, so it seems like it should be worth at least 300 used.

I'm about to give it a run, it's been a while since i've used it. I'll report on the sound a bit later.

Well that's simply what I thought from reading your description. And bear in mind, a lot of people are reluctant to spend money on something with no brand name on it.

Sounds like a bass cab to me, especially with the carpet covering and Black Widows.
Guy I got it from was playing his bass through it, but it works for guitar very well.

EDIT: Just tested the cab, it sounds great.

Would I make more money on this if I sold the speakers individually? What if I offered it with a head, as a half stack (it's not a very good head)? In my local Craigslist, Fender 4x12s go for $400, So I figure I can get at least 300 for it, and if I can get 150 for the head, I should be in good shape. Alas, I will probably have to let some pedals go to get the amp that I desire.
My Blog

Last edited by woodenbandman at Oct 30, 2009,