I've got an Ibanez RGR321EX, and currently it has some stock INF1 and INF2 humbuckers.

I want to get a warmer and more metal tone, so I thought some seymour duncans would do the trick.
The reason i'm not getting any active pups is because i've got a peavey vypyr 75 (modelling amp) and I've heard that solid states and active pickups don't go well together.

So, what are the good passive seymour duncans (for metal) out there>
For Rock/Hard Rock I would use a JB in the bridge but,
For Metal I would use an Invader in the bridge

the JB would be more versitle but the Invader sounds more Metal in my opinion because it has more bottom end/bass tone.

What kind of Metal tone do you want? if you tell us that then we may be able to help you more instead of just giving you basic answers
What band do you want to sound like?
Any particular song?
youtube vid?
Thanks for the replies so far.
In Metal, i'm looking to sound like Children Of Bodom, metallica, Lamb of god. I know these all have different tones, but anything that can do all of them is good. I'll also need a good death metal tone.
The JB is great for a bridge p/u. The Screamin' Demon is pretty good, too. '59 or Jazz in the neck. I would advise against the Invader as they're not very versatile. They've also got larger magnets in them so the sustain will be lacking.
duncan distortion
duncan custom custom
screamin demon
invader (get shit on a lot but it actually a great pickup, very very dark)
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's stopping you from dialing in the tone you want from the Vypyr? As a modeling amp, it's extremely flexible.

I can get very good metal tones from the vypyr, with better pickups i can make that metal tone even better.

I'll look into the JB.
well he wants a darker metal tone. Assumingly he doesn't want tons of treble. the invader has a rolled off top end and lots of mids and bass. I don't see why that would be bad for what he wants.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
the SH-4 and SH-8 are simply the more technical names for the pickups. the invader is an SH-8, the JB is an SH-4
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
They're different models. Different components. Alnico V versus Ceramic magnet.

I'm going to suggest a pair of Dimarzio Breeds, btw.

Quote by pmeg568c
well he wants a darker metal tone. Assumingly he doesn't want tons of treble. the invader has a rolled off top end and lots of mids and bass. I don't see why that would be bad for what he wants.

Actually, I thought I was in a different thread.
But I still think the Invader is pretty awful, and sounds terrible. I can show you a picture I drew up demonstrating its abilities, if you like.
+1 on the breeds, also check out a dimarzio norton, i had one in my SG and the harmonics were awesome and it was wicked heavy sounding.

and Im down to see a funny picture haha
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
hahah i could see that happening...
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's stopping you from dialing in the tone you want from the Vypyr? As a modeling amp, it's extremely flexible.

Yeah, but a good amp can't cure crappy pickups.

Anyway, Duncan Distortion, Duncan Custom, Dimarzio Super Distortion, Dimarzio Breed.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I dont mean to throw this forum off but 2 of the 3 of the bands (Children of Bodom, Metallica) use active EMGs. In all honesty i dont see why an active pickup would sound worse on a solid state than a passive one. provided you dial your amp in properly.
I'm still gonna stick by my suggestion of an SH-8 Invader if you truly want a passive Seymour Duncan. This is the pickup that is used in the bridge position for both guitarists of Lamb Of God. it's true that an Invader wont be as versatile but it does do punk and metal very, very well. Be forewarned, it will distort the clean channel on your amp. I included a link at the bottom to Seymour Duncan's website on this particular pickup.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh8_invader/
Honestly, even on a decent SS amp like that, pickups aren't going to drastically change your tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by jdrier21
I dont mean to throw this forum off but 2 of the 3 of the bands (Children of Bodom, Metallica) use active EMGs. In all honesty i dont see why an active pickup would sound worse on a solid state than a passive one. provided you dial your amp in properly.
I'm still gonna stick by my suggestion of an SH-8 Invader if you truly want a passive Seymour Duncan. This is the pickup that is used in the bridge position for both guitarists of Lamb Of God. it's true that an Invader wont be as versatile but it does do punk and metal very, very well. Be forewarned, it will distort the clean channel on your amp. I included a link at the bottom to Seymour Duncan's website on this particular pickup.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh8_invader/

Bodom use passive EMG's.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a Duncan Custom Custom and likes it lots but its in a Strat.

The metal modes on the Vypyr are kinda trebly, especially the non-power tube versions. If you are happy with the tone of your amp, new pickups are a logical next step. That said, they won't make quite the difference as they would on an all tube amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a Duncan Custom Custom and likes it lots but its in a Strat.

The metal modes on the Vypyr are kinda trebly, especially the non-power tube versions. If you are happy with the tone of your amp, new pickups are a logical next step. That said, they won't make quite the difference as they would on an all tube amp.

Yeah, they are quite trebly - the amp is a very bright-voiced amp.
They're changing that with firmware update 1.58.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
^Yeah-that's true. A nice G12k-100 or a Texas Heat would work pretty well.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by pmeg568c
+1 on the breeds, also check out a dimarzio norton, i had one in my SG and the harmonics were awesome and it was wicked heavy sounding.

and Im down to see a funny picture haha

Yea man, check out DiMarzio, Orrrr Get Some ACTIVES!!!!!! and a tube amp...LOL..

your metal tone will magically appear.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness