I need a pedal to help improve my solo tone on my 6505, which is Renown for not having a nice soloing tone.

I've heard that a TS-9 would do the job, by boosting the signal, and making it warmer sounding. But I was told in PMT that it would not do the job, and that a Black Star HT-5 pedal would. I tried it, and it didn't.

I notice that quite a few bands that use 6505's use the TS-9 for soloing, so was he just BSing?

Also, can anyone recommend a pedal that would do the job?
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
A TS would work fine...or maybe an EQ pedal like the MXR 10-band. I use mine quite a bit to get that extra umph during a solo. But many people use an OD pedal like the TS to get a good lead tone.
I tried an EQ pedal before and it didnt do what I wanted. So basically that salesperson was BSing?
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
A Ts9 would be fine, a lot of people use that pedal. If you like the ts9 get it, it's not my favorite pedal but for the money it's one of the best I've heard. Personally, I would look at a Fulltone OCD, it beats the piss out of a Ts9. imo
Last edited by lmihay at Oct 30, 2009,
whats ur budget? if u just want something to mess around with and cheap, get a cool cat drive or transparent drive. it does the job just fine and it makes the distortion much cleaner cut.

if u want to spend a little more money, instead of an overdrive u could try a boost pedal.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I haven't had chance to try one out as none of the stores near me stock them.

EDIT: I'd say my budget is about £130
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Last edited by Dust_to_Dust at Oct 30, 2009,
Last time I was in PMT in Leeds (about a month ago) they didn't stock tube screamers - did you see the TS9 or did you just ask? because those guys work on commision and can't earn commision on stuff they don't stock.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
they didn't have any instock, and the bloke said it wasn't what I was looking for. This was the one in Birmingham
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
If you don't wanna change your tone at all and just want to cut through a live mix better so your solo can be heard a clean boost would be perfect. Something like the Electro Harmonix lpb1 or the mxr micro amp. These are probably the best known and most used, but there are tonnes of options out there. More gain for a solo, especially with a hi-gain amp like the 6505, is not necessarily what you want. You've a good chance it'll just be too much - lacking clarity and definition. A good compressor could do the job either, but you'll lose alot of the natural tonal tweaks that come from your picking dynamics etc (It'll be one striaght volume and sound through and through).

Just a couple of options that I hadn't seen anyone post.

By the time I've finished typing what's the odds that someone else'll have said both?
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
whats ur budget? if u just want something to mess around with and cheap, get a cool cat drive or transparent drive. it does the job just fine and it makes the distortion much cleaner cut.

if u want to spend a little more money, instead of an overdrive u could try a boost pedal.

Yup. I was late. lol.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by lmihay
A Ts9 would be fine, a lot of people use that pedal. If you like the ts9 get it, it's not my favorite pedal but for the money it's one of the best I've heard. Personally, I would look at a Fulltone OCD, it beats the piss out of a Ts9. imo

fulltone ocd expensive but delivers.
He doesn't want gain, he wants a warmer tone.

TS, an EQ will help.
Also, delay generally sounds good over a dry sounding solo.
Try it out.
I tried an EQ pedal before, and it attenuated my sound a hell of a lot, I think it was some Boss one.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
there are soooo many ts9 clones/pedals based on the same design, each with their own flavor. sometimes the differences are slight, sometimes they're more pronounced. what you need to do is get out and try a few, hit up manufactuers' websites for sound clips, youtube, etc.

there was another thread recently whit a lot of great OD suggestions, i'll see if i can't find it and post a link. the natural mid-boost inherrent in most ODs sounds like it'd do just right for ya. here we go:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221211&page=1&pp=20

eq and sometimes a sonic maximizer work wonders with 6505+ (are you using 6505 or 6505+?), as does a hot bias mod in most cases. if you go the EQ route, don't bother with a pedal, get yourself a 31-band graphic eq... dbx makes a geat one that you can get on the cheap in most cases. it'll give you nearly 4x as much detailed control over your tne without slaughtering your high and low frequencies.

also, what cab ar you using, and with what speakers? what pickups are in your guitar?
Im using a normal 6505, with a Marshall MF280B, which has Celestion V30's. What does this Bias mod do? and where could I get it done if needed? (In Birmingham if possible)

Most of my guitars have EMG's, for example my Esp's, but my Gibson has its standard pickups, and my Ibanez has a Seymour Duncan Distortion set in it.

Thanks for all the help
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Does that help?
Main Gear