I know it's pretty simple to slide the pick, but listen to the end of the solo in beat it - how does he get it to "sound" like that. Kind of like a laser gun sound effect. I've watched all kinds of videos and i've tried sliding my fingers up and down the neck on the top 2 strings before, during and after the pick slide but I just can't get that sound.

What am I doing wrong?
Effects, I'll get back to you after I listen closely to it.

EDIT: what slide?? He does a few in the song...
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Last edited by westdyolf at Oct 30, 2009,
this guy does it at :15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUGiEm54NOo

i'm doing it like they do it but it just doesn't sound the same. i'm using a patch i downloaded for my tonelab se from a guy who has a good van halen sound and i've also tried it running through my pocket pod with a good hot for teacher preset i downloaded from customtone.
Quote by tenaciouswannaB
this guy does it at :15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUGiEm54NOo

i'm doing it like they do it but it just doesn't sound the same. i'm using a patch i downloaded for my tonelab se from a guy who has a good van halen sound and i've also tried it running through my pocket pod with a good hot for teacher preset i downloaded from customtone.

I'm also interested in know how to do this. Never been able to get it to sound right
The link isn't working for me, but just in general for pick slides, I found they sound beast on the A string on the lead channel. Boosting it with an OD really made mine sound better and make sure your pick is perpendicular with the string
I hate my sig
i'm just wondering if it's part of the stuff in the effects chain. unfortunately i live in an apartment so i can't crank my amp up but i play through headphones through my pod and with my tonelab. tomorrow i'm hoping to get a chance to run the tonelab into my amp and really crank it up to see if that gets me closer to that sound.

i mean heck, if you watch him it looks really simple so i figure it has to be something in the settings.
where the hell did a drill come into the picture? we were talking about the pick slide he does at the VERY end of the solo in Beat It.

what you do is slide the pick towards the neck while sliding your finger towards the pick. when you reach your "desired" position on the fret board you kinda flick the string with the pick as you end your slide. don't really pick the string but sorta catch it and then slide your finger back towards the other end of the guitar. takes some practice but i'm pretty sure that's what he's doing.
Quote by tenaciouswannaB
where the hell did a drill come into the picture? we were talking about the pick slide he does at the VERY end of the solo in Beat It.

what you do is slide the pick towards the neck while sliding your finger towards the pick. when you reach your "desired" position on the fret board you kinda flick the string with the pick as you end your slide. don't really pick the string but sorta catch it and then slide your finger back towards the other end of the guitar. takes some practice but i'm pretty sure that's what he's doing.

Yea. But instead of that, wouldn't it be cool to just take a drill and hit your guitar repeatedly with it? That would make a cool sound
I hate my sig
Quote by tenaciouswannaB

I was giving you ideas...
Last edited by The.new.guy at Nov 9, 2009,