I would like to upgrade my guitar or get a better one, but I am not sure which I should go for. I like to play stuff like metallica, megadeth, stuff like that. I am currently leaning towards getting a set of EMGs, (with installation it would cost around $250). However I acknowledge that I don't know everything and that theres probably something I am overlooking. Current guitar is an early 2000s Jackson DX10D, with the stock humbuckers in it, thanks.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
New amp
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by sw1ss023
New amp

nevermind. i didnt see the tone blaster in your sig. i saw the mg and raised the alarm. Tone blasters are actually fairly decent amps. go ahead and get some emgs my man
Last edited by dfinch10 at Oct 30, 2009,
No point putting EMG's into a guitar with an alder body and a cheap trem. No offence but even if you replace the pickups you're still going to want a new guitar in a month or so.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
I say you should buy yourself a nice schecter that already has EMGs in it. That way you have a bad ass guitar, and the pups you want. Theres a $500 hell raiser on musicians friend i believe

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Devil-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=515763

Not the hell raiser but its got EMGs

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=520092

Thats the Hell raiser
Last edited by nickdohle at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by ninjaapirate
getting a set of EMGs, (with installation it would cost around $250).

Get some Seymour Duncan Blackouts instead. http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/blackouts/ They're also active, but with better cleans. They cost anywhere from $180 plus shipping at musiciansfriend.com. I'm about to buy a 2nd set soon, to put in my main guitar. If you can learn to use a soddering iron (or know someone who already does), you can easily install them yourself. Most pickups you order come with wiring instructions; just follow those & you're good.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by dfinch10
nevermind. i didnt see the tone blaster in your sig. i saw the mg and raised the alarm. Tone blasters are actually fairly decent amps. go ahead and get some emgs my man

is anyone else seeing this as a multi??? he said sorry for a previous post saying i when t was a different user
Quote by Tedis1111
is anyone else seeing this as a multi??? he said sorry for a previous post saying i when t was a different user

He actually had originally poster +1 to the idea. He just erased it in his edit
Quote by nickdohle
He actually had originally poster +1 to the idea. He just erased it in his edit

oh right he should put the +1 back then to stop the mods
definetly get new pickups bro, but i wouldnt get emg's. EMG pickups are very good on guitars like yours especial if you get the 81, 85 combo. but i would recommend symour duncan blackouts active pickups. much better tone then emg and they stay a lot clearer.
Quote by falconthefirst
No point putting EMG's into a guitar with an alder body and a cheap trem. No offence but even if you replace the pickups you're still going to want a new guitar in a month or so.

I have played a non licensed floyd rose, and they aren't really that much better in my opinion. I haven't actually looked at what body material does for you, but it seems like my body wasnt alder. I'm not sure though. Plus I don't have enough money to buy a completely new guitar.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
Quote by Tedis1111
oh right he should put the +1 back then to stop the mods

The mods would be able to check the IPs and see if they matched.

And there's nothing wrong with putting EMGs in an alder body. In my experience, they minimise differences between woods, i.e they tend to always sound much the same, no matter the material.
In fact, there's nothing wrong with alder bodies. Also, Jackson's LFR's aren't bad trems at all. So, falconthefirst didn't give the best advice in this thread.
I say, if you like the tone of EMG's, and if you like your current rig/set up, why not?
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence