My band has started recording. Right now we have a final drum track for this song, a bass track that we will probably do again, a scratch guitar track and some scratch vocals.

comments on the drum mix? song?

www.soundclick.com/mataharius

"fullmixrough1"
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
please? C4C? i promise its heavy.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
don't bump your own threads. if you're not getting enough responses, crit other people's work and leave a link to this in the thread and they'll crit you back.

if you upload the track to your UG profile I'll listen to it (my browser is crashing alot with other sites for some reason)
the sound quality on UG is terrible, soundclick always works and takes 2 clicks. I know im not supposed to bump my own threads but only about 2% of the actually people here will care. I just want some feedback. This is actually a well written song and great recording quality not some noob writing his first guitar riff.

I just can't crit anyone elses right now because im at work and don't have headphones.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
sorry, but this is not great recording quality. the entire track lacks punch and clarity, and the sound quality on UG is certainly NOT terrible. if you have an excellent recording it will sound good on UG as well. Go listen to CatharsisStudio's recordings, and tell me the UG player sounds terrible.
And you've been here since '03, yet still can't abide by the rules?
Who cares if you're never warned for it, it's unfair for the people who DO listen to the rules and DON't bump their threads.
If you read the first post I never said it was completed. The guitar is just there for reference. Im asking for opinions on the dry drum track and the vocals, not what the entire thing sounds like. obiviously something with 2 scratch tracks and 2 final tracks is not going to sound good as a whole. Thats why i never asked for that
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
you said in the post above my last that this is great recording quality and not some noob writing his first guitar riff.

it is not, that's what I was referring to.
if you really don't think those drums are recorded well for being dry then i dont know what to say man lol.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I have very honestly heard much better.
And I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I think for instance you got the cymbals and hi-hat down well, but the kick and snare are pretty lacking, IMO. What are you using to record?
our friend is using a mackie firewire mixer/interface into logic

i dunno i think the snare sounds very natural but I could see the kicks as something lacking
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
the snare lacks natural crack, IMO, that can be because of the way the drummer was playing or the positioning of the mic. it may also be the way it was mixed, but the kick is nothing more than a faint thud. that can definately be recorded better.

I may also just be too used to my old drummer who slammed his drums like a mofo
but seriously dude, next time please just crit other people instead of bumping, okay?

I know this forum is sparesly modded, but it's just out of decentness to other users.
hah ok man. i usually will crit people I just can't right now and don't really see the negatives about bumping your own thread. Its not easy to get people to be interested in something
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
hah ok man. i usually will crit people I just can't right now and don't really see the negatives about bumping your own thread. Its not easy to get people to be interested in something

it's just the fact that it's the rules to NOT bump, and if you do you're taking advantage of the people who abide by the rules and don't bump, because you're pushing your stuff in front of theirs.
I'm seriously not trying to be an asshole, but that is really uncool IMO, just try not to do it again
How did you record the vocals, btw?
we used an SM57 because it seems like he gets some really cool distortion out of it that you can't really get from a 58. and yea i could do that
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I agree that the snare lacks "snap" to it, the bass drum needs some more work as well.

Song sounds pretty sweet though, I like it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
thanks guys i appreciate that. ill be sure to bring that up to him. i can hear what you mean.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I agree with everything said above, there's nothing worng with the playing, the playing great, and so is the song, musicaly, but mix needs work. Your rythem guitars are way too far back in the mix, I cant hardly hear them, your bass cuts through way too much, mabey takes some mids out of the bass, and add mids to your rythem guitar and lead guitar. And snare needs more mids for sure, and the bass drum needs more lows, so its more punchy. You want your rythem guitar to be the basis for your overall sound, you want your bass guitar to cover the lows, and some of the mids, and your lead guitars should cover your highs. And drums cover all of your frequiencys.( I can never spell that damn word right)

The only reason I use alot of bass on my guitars is because I dont use a bass in my songs, so I compensate.

But just clean up your mix and you'll be fine. Its a great song.

Crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22171527#post22171527
thanks for the advice man, but remember the guitar is scratch track, just recorded DI into logic. when we record real guitar tracks with our amps it will sound huge.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I'd say they're pretty well recorded. People need to understand that this is for a DEMO, for which this sounds above average. The only thing I would probably do is maybe turn the hat down slightly. but thats just preference, it sounds fine as is.

what was the setup for this? I've been trying to demo with my band and the drums don't sound nearly as good as this. (then again we're using 3 mics and they're all 58s so I'm sure your rig was better then that, haha)
well i mean the dude recording us just graduated with a sound recording technology degree from umass lowell. He is using a fairly nice mackie mixer and firewire interface. We used probably around 11-12 mics on the drums, lots of small/hyper cardiod condensers, 57s 58s, room mics, kick mics, i forget what they are all called. The bass was recorded with a laney pro tube 100 watt and an ampeg b25 played together through a mesa 4x10 and a traynor 4x12 with greenback and g12h30s
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob