Well guys as the thread title says, I'm torn between 2 amps. Specifically the 212 combo versions of the Peavey JSX and the Peavey 6505/+. Which one would suit my style better, do you think?

My style of music: I like to have good sound in all aspects of the guitar. Good clean, good distortion, good neck sound, good bridge sound, good rhythm, good lead, etc. However, some aspects are more important than others to me. I play Death Metal, Deathcore, and Shred more than anything, so I'd be willing to settle for an amp that does those styles.

More important:

I like my rhythm distortion sound to be tight, biting, with a good amount of top end, and tight bass (I will not accept flabby bass). I tend to lean more on the treble and mids than on the bass for my rhythm tone.

I like my lead tone to be smooth and round, having a good amount of top end without being spiky or unpleasant in any way. Think Steve Vai/Yngwie's tone. The exact opposite of the tone I want would be Paul Gilbert (too loose, too trebly) or Frank Zappa (Too loose, too much low end, not enough highs).

Less important:

I like cleans fine, I'd prefer a clean that "sparkles" with a midrange/low sound, not too much high, but enough to give it that "fendery" shimmer. I tend to prefer a sound in between "bright" and "dark."

If I play with a crunch tone, I'd like it to sound a bit looser than my metal tone, and also be suitable for blues with the gain down.

Price is an issue. I can't really afford to spend that much. I'll probably be looking for these used, waiting to snatch them up. I hear that the both go for about $500-$600 US dollars, so that's my price range.

I will probably use this amp for gigging sometime in the future, so I want it to last me a long time. I've heard Peaveys are extremely reliable, and I love them, but if you have a suggestion for something in a similar price range that might be for me, feel free to shout it out.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I haven't actually tried the XXX, I'll have to give that one a look. Thanks.
My Blog

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
sounds like the jsx is right for you of those two
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
For some reason there is an ungodly number of XXXs but not a lot of JSXs or 6505/5150 for sale out here.
My Blog

Good news forum, I've decided to go with the XXX. I tried out the 3120 (the 6505 of the XXX, if you will), and I loved everything about it. I played a schecter with EMGs through the clean channel, and though EMGs get shit for having bad cleans, they sparkled and shimmered, and the tone was perfect for a little blues or jazz. The "crunch" channel was gainy enough to play metal through it, and the tone had BALLS. Everything at about 7, it was tight, and it had a good bottom end with a nice top end to it. The lead channel was unfortunately not as gainy as I wanted, but this way I'm able to keep my Pink Verb for overdrive, and reverb as well. I tried it alongside the 6505 (they didn't have the JSX), and it was absolutely incomparable how much more I liked the 3120. The clean channel is what really turned me off, because not only do I need this amp to be versatile, I would much rather have a clean amp and make it dirty then try to make do with mediocre cleans. The 6505, though it's said to be a dark amp, was harsh and spiky, but the 3120 ran smooth the whole time, and best of all, no noise at all. I ran a Wylde Overdrive to see how the lead channel would sound with some boost (I'd need it), and it sounded fantastic.
My Blog

I wouldn't seriously want a Peavey XXX/JSX/6505 if I wanted good cleans.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
^I generally disagree.

Quote by woodenbandman
Good news forum, I've decided to go with the XXX. I tried out the 3120 (the 6505 of the XXX, if you will), and I loved everything about it. I played a schecter with EMGs through the clean channel, and though EMGs get shit for having bad cleans, they sparkled and shimmered, and the tone was perfect for a little blues or jazz. The "crunch" channel was gainy enough to play metal through it, and the tone had BALLS. Everything at about 7, it was tight, and it had a good bottom end with a nice top end to it. The lead channel was unfortunately not as gainy as I wanted, but this way I'm able to keep my Pink Verb for overdrive, and reverb as well. I tried it alongside the 6505 (they didn't have the JSX), and it was absolutely incomparable how much more I liked the 3120. The clean channel is what really turned me off, because not only do I need this amp to be versatile, I would much rather have a clean amp and make it dirty then try to make do with mediocre cleans. The 6505, though it's said to be a dark amp, was harsh and spiky, but the 3120 ran smooth the whole time, and best of all, no noise at all. I ran a Wylde Overdrive to see how the lead channel would sound with some boost (I'd need it), and it sounded fantastic.

Sounds good.

This part did not makes sense though to me. The 3120 is the XXX just reincarnated in a new headshell and EL34s stock so....