Simple title, explain what it is about guitar that makes you want to play? What motivated you about picking up a guitar for the first time, what motivates you to play now? What is your passion in guitar? What makes playing guitar so great in your opinion?
I love it how technique isn't the most needed thing to be concidered a good guitar player, if I shred my gf goes meh, but when I start playing some doom metal songs and put my heart in it, it makes her go nuts

so short answer: sex

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
It's great fun.

It's a talking point & conversation starter.

It looks great on CVs.

It gives me something to do with my time.

It allows me to feel closer to my idols.

It allows me to appreciate music to a higher level.

It connects people.

It can occasionally impress women.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
First picked it up because me and a bunch of mates were going to make a metalcore band, but I was the only one who bothered to learn to play, and then there was a fight between us and I don't talk to them anymore. Now, I honestly don't know. Nothing motivates me to play anymore (hoping just a side-effect of depression ATM, I don't have motivation for anything ATM, including school-work ). Suppose it's something to do, and I do enjoy picking it up and noodling, but I haven't learned anything new in a while. Plus I enjoy music, so it makes sense that I learn to play something.

tl;dr - Feck, I dunno
as someone said earlier, playing an instrument allows you to grow in appreciation and understanding of music. I started playing because I just wanted to be able to rock some of my favorite songs... makes listening to them more fun.
Quote by sashki
Back then: The sound
Now: Sex The sound

I like being able to play for people, and how versatile the guitar is. There are so many genres you can play, and unlike Alto Saxophone (what I used to play), it's awesome being able to play such wide range of songs without a band.
I believe guitar (and other stringed instruments) are the most expressive musical instruments, and guitars are so versatile.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Everything about guitar I love.

Helps teach you to appreciate music and it's a hobby to keep you outta doing bad shit...at least for me.
I started because of guitar hero... on my starcaster that my parents bought me like 2 years before I began playing. I played guitar (crappily) to fit in at first, but then I started to enjoy it more as I got better.

When I upgraded my amp to a roland micro cube, it sounded like 15x better then the amp that came with my starcaster, giving me more motivation.

Now, when I just got my new Ibanez, and I can play some moderate solos, I'm making up new songs all the time, and I'm consistently getting better, it's all about the enjoyment that comes with it. I don't even know why I like playing guitar so much..

And it gives me something to talk about with people. I've made some good friends because of it...

so yeah.
Quote by SlayingDragons
I started because of guitar hero... on my starcaster that my parents bought me like 2 years before I began playing. I played guitar (crappily) to fit in at first, but then I started to enjoy it more as I got better.

When I upgraded my amp to a roland micro cube, it sounded like 15x better then the amp that came with my starcaster, giving me more motivation.

Now, when I just got my new Ibanez, and I can play some moderate solos, I'm making up new songs all the time, and I'm consistently getting better, it's all about the enjoyment that comes with it. I don't even know why I like playing guitar so much..

And it gives me something to talk about with people. I've made some good friends because of it...

so yeah.

D00d your like by twin!

I starts thanks to guitar hero too, and I got a starcaster guitar for my first!

But I remeber this sad days of when I thought I was teh shiznit, I found a few recordings and was like ewww there was nothing good out of all of them LOL
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Can play stuff i've always wanted to play, nothing like hearing a riff you like, then being able to play it, song's i have liked my whole life i can now play.
The creativity part also, coming up with riff's and solo's is alway's fun and just jamming out

plus guitar makes you look bad ass :p
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Quote by sashki
Wat.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Well it clearly is.

If you put stuff like "I am a dedicated guitar player have played in several bands, organised shows, etc." it shows you manage time and personal life and are organised and dedciated, perhaps a fun person too.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by westdyolf
D00d your like by twin!

I starts thanks to guitar hero too, and I got a starcaster guitar for my first!

But I remeber this sad days of when I thought I was teh shiznit, I found a few recordings and was like ewww there was nothing good out of all of them LOL

Looking back at some of my recordings, I couldn't get 5 seconds into any of them without thinking 'this is crap.'

For finding my long- lost twin.
What do I love about guitar...

I think the question would be "what do I not] like about guitar", though in that case it would probably be "nothing.

I'd have to go into my history with the guitar, really. Let's put things into perspective: I'm only 16 years old, hardly been playing for a year. Those who listen to me say I'm awesome for having only started, but every day I wish that I started earlier. And, honestly, I could have.

When I was 13, my father bought me a Squier Strat, cheap but it actually sounded awesome. I hardly touched it for three years. Come a bit before February of this year, I had become very inspired to pick the guitar up. And the more I looked at it, thought about it, I realized how much I had held myself back, didn't play because I had the mindset of "want to play good but won't put the time in". So I finally started picking the guitar up. I applied myself heavily. Sadly, the Strat was stolen later, alongside a vintage Les Paul Firebrand, that my father was going to pass down to me, in February. I haven't gotten it back, even though we -know who stole it-, and I doubt I'll ever really find one like it to any extent again. At least they left one guitar, a nice Les Paul Standard that I've been playing ever since.

So, I've hardly been playing a year, but what can I say that I like about guitar? Just... the very amount of expressiveness that one can put into it; it's an instrument that's unlike any other. It can sing, it can scream, it can cry, it can do everything. And it's truly become a part of me, something that I can't live without. Every moment when I don't have my guitar slung over my shoulder, I'm thinking about it, wanting to get back to it, wanting to play it. And... really, in all honesty, I play it so much that things such as my schoolwork suffer. But honestly? I don't really care; I love the guitar too much to care.

The guitar is something that puts forth who I am as a person, and there's no limit to what one can do with it. There will never be a time when people have exhausted the guitar's capabilities - there'll always be someone that comes along to prove them wrong. And the sound, the tone... it can go from some of the most beautiful, shining things you'll hear, to the rawest, sickest, most insane, opposite side of the spectrum.

I've never really wanted to sound like anyone else in either playing style or tone, but I've always gotten a sense of satisfaction from figuring out my favorite songs by ear, or learning something new. And... sometimes it can be a bit of an exercise in itself to figure out a new song.

... Yeah, I'm done gibbering now.
idk y i wanted to play. i liked making noises and i guess at the time i thought that just playing guitar was cool. now i mostly play cuz i just really enjoy playing and get a kick out of it. its relaxing for the most part. i just wish i had friends that played whom i could play with.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by Infiniti
What do I love about guitar...

I think the question would be "what do I not] like about guitar", though in that case it would probably be "nothing.

I'd have to go into my history with the guitar, really. Let's put things into perspective: I'm only 16 years old, hardly been playing for a year. Those who listen to me say I'm awesome for having only started, but every day I wish that I started earlier. And, honestly, I could have.

When I was 13, my father bought me a Squier Strat, cheap but it actually sounded awesome. I hardly touched it for three years. Come a bit before February of this year, I had become very inspired to pick the guitar up. And the more I looked at it, thought about it, I realized how much I had held myself back, didn't play because I had the mindset of "want to play good but won't put the time in". So I finally started picking the guitar up. I applied myself heavily. Sadly, the Strat was stolen later, alongside a vintage Les Paul Firebrand, that my father was going to pass down to me, in February. I haven't gotten it back, even though we -know who stole it-, and I doubt I'll ever really find one like it to any extent again. At least they left one guitar, a nice Les Paul Standard that I've been playing ever since.

So, I've hardly been playing a year, but what can I say that I like about guitar? Just... the very amount of expressiveness that one can put into it; it's an instrument that's unlike any other. It can sing, it can scream, it can cry, it can do everything. And it's truly become a part of me, something that I can't live without. Every moment when I don't have my guitar slung over my shoulder, I'm thinking about it, wanting to get back to it, wanting to play it. And... really, in all honesty, I play it so much that things such as my schoolwork suffer. But honestly? I don't really care; I love the guitar too much to care.

The guitar is something that puts forth who I am as a person, and there's no limit to what one can do with it. There will never be a time when people have exhausted the guitar's capabilities - there'll always be someone that comes along to prove them wrong. And the sound, the tone... it can go from some of the most beautiful, shining things you'll hear, to the rawest, sickest, most insane, opposite side of the spectrum.

I've never really wanted to sound like anyone else in either playing style or tone, but I've always gotten a sense of satisfaction from figuring out my favorite songs by ear, or learning something new. And... sometimes it can be a bit of an exercise in itself to figure out a new song.

... Yeah, I'm done gibbering now.

O.O

China called, they want their great wall back.

Lol jk, I get what you mean. A guitar is a very expressive instrument, and unlike drums or piano, it's something you can take with you and play, it's like a part of you.
Last edited by dsan224 at Oct 30, 2009,
I first picked up Guitar when I heard Nirvana for the first time about 2 years back. They were the first band I actually really liked so I wanted to cover some songs. But now that I'm do play my inspiration is Jimi Hendrix and I keep playing to get good enough to cover his songs.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV