quo vadis does it
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
In addition to Steve Digorio (of Quo Vadis and Death, amongst other bands), Obscura's bass player uses a 6 string fretless.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
yes.

I find when you clack properly on a fretless, it does a lot more SCHWANK, something that would suit a metal band I think.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
its's your choice... You should'n be asking it out here... If you want to play Heavy Metal with a fretless bass, then go ahead... Don't care about "if it is okay for the others" -stuff.. Do It how you like it..
Definitely not okay. Where do you silly kids get these crazy ideas. Next thing you'll be making six string basses and bass distortion pedals to boot!
The guy from Augury does it, pretty sick stuff.

Go ahead and try it out if you can play accurately that fast.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by thedonutman
No, you will die.

This. ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!?!? Everyone knows if you so much as brought a fretless bass into practice with a metal band, without even plugging it in, you would create a reaction that would kill you, you're bandmtes, and everyone within a 12 mile radius. You would even run the risk of igniting the earth's atmosphere, ending all life on earth.

Do you want to responsible for the end of world ImaginaryEvil? I think not.

Seriously though, do it. Screw what everybody else says. Do what you want. And check out Steve Digiorgio. In addition to Death and Quo Vadis mentioned above, check out Sadus.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Oct 31, 2009,
ok your gonna be playing metal. that means you can play music what ever f---ing way you want to. dont ask to use a fretless bass. all the power to you.
Quote by edgeyyz
It's like everyone's getting laid and I'm the only virgin...

Quote by Nunwhxre 666
I now dub thee, Fapking.

Bow down to the Fapking!

Shoop Group!
Quote by ImaginaryEvil
a fretless bass?

Cynic and Obscura do it...

I do it.
I am me. Live with it.
fretless + metal = just fine

unless theres a big scary man pointing a gun at your head and telling you not to use the fretless, in which case I suggest you do what he says.

But seriously, it'll sound fine
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Yes, its fine. I play fretless in death metal, I prefer the deep warm balance it brings to the band. I find that the usual clacky tone metal bassists drift towards leaves the band sounding bottomless and very cluttered in one frequency. Fretless bass adds more dimension and aptmosphere to the over tone of the band.

Check out these bands, they have great fretless bass players.

Obscura (Jeroen Paul Thesseling) , Cynic, Gordian Knot, Aghora (Sean Malone) Exivious (Robin Zielhorst) , Intronaut (Joe Lester) , Death (Steve DiGiorgio)
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Hobble at Oct 30, 2009,
I'm pretty sure Rex Brown might have used fretless for a few tunes... that may be in Down though.

Also Dan Briggs used a fretless Steinberger on BTBAM's song Mirrors, and Yasuyuki Suzuki and Doug Keyser were playing them back in around 87.

Bottom line: yes, it's fine.

edit: FYI Steve DiGiorgio uses fretless basically exclusively, and he's played with a LOT of bands. And yeah, Forest from Augury is another plus.
Quote by Thegian
The guy from Augury does it, pretty sick stuff.

Go ahead and try it out if you can play accurately that fast.

Geddy Lee's technique on fretless basses:

"The trick is to play so fast nobody can tell you are out of tune."
If you can make it sound the way you want it to sound, then it doesn't matter what instrument you're playing.
fretless in metal sounds amazing, imo. if you like the sound of it, then its fine.

and it really does add another dimension of listening to it
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
In addition to what everydody's mentioned, I'd like to throw in Arthur von Nagel from Cormorant. Very tasteful fretless playing. Nothing too technical, but it serves the song, and can stand out melodically on it's own.

http://www.myspace.com/cormorantmusic

Check out Salt of the Earth or Ballad of the Beast. Uneasy Lies The Head is pretty cool too.

I also strongly second Robin Zielhorst. Awesome tone.
Only if you´re good at it and when youre playing weird prog avant garde experimental metals.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
I say yes... Fretless has cool sound Listen to Obscura he has nice sound on hes fretless.
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Remember what happened when you said that to Balin?

Yup. He died. Killed by Goblins and a Balrog.

It's like you swoop down out of nowhere with witty retorts. I never even saw that coming.

I've got where I love playing Metal on my fretless.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Dawnwalker
Only if you´re good at it and when youre playing weird prog avant garde experimental metals.

Some Opeth songs use fretless same with death and both arent really avant garde :S

I say go with it, gives your band more character and originality as long as it suits the type of metal you play.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.