So my friend is learning cello and im helping her out by getting her sheet music and tabs that were for guitar or bass but I transposed, I know alot of beginning cellists mark their fretboard for learning but i cant find anywhere where i should put the markers. Help?
you find it by ear.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
you find it by ear.

Apparently you didn't get the part where he said she's just learning.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by kibatsume
So my friend is learning cello....[i cant find anywhere where i should put the markers. Help?

if your friend is learning cello then perhaps the person who can answer the question as to where the fret markers go would be your friend, or your friends teacher... otherwise they wont learn if you do it.

also this seems like something you can find on google rather easily.
well I've spent the last half hour on google to no avail, and she doest have a teacher, which leads to me transposing sheet music for her to help get her started. I guess I should just get a tuner and find them that way if theres no sheet i can use or something.
You can use a pickup and an electronic tuner to find where the masking tape for the fret markers should go. Some electronic tuners have a microphone built in so that you could do it without the pickup. Intellitouch makes a tuner that clamps onto the head of the instrument, and that would work fine. Fret the note, and if the machine says it is spot-on in tune, then put the strip of tape there.

Good luck.
You can do it by maths. 1st harmonic will be mid string, like on a guitar. Mark like a 12th fret. compare lengths to a guitar and do the sum.
Or you could really cheat and take it to a shop with a Mandocello and copy it straight across.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

OK, maybe I didn't explain it well enough. YOU match it to notes on your bass (which I'm assuming is intonated correctly) and tape where it sounds the same.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Or you could do it the correct way and use a ****ing tuner.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Lurcher
You can do it by maths. 1st harmonic will be mid string, like on a guitar. Mark like a 12th fret. compare lengths to a guitar and do the sum.

This.

Measure the distance from the nut to the bridge.. that's your scale length. Use that with an online fret calculator, to give you the position of each fret.
Quote by FatalGear41
Some electronic tuners have a microphone built in so that you could do it without the pickup.

This.

Most all electronic tuners have a mic in them. Use the tuner to find the second, third, fourth, and fifth intervals up the C string and place some electrical tape across. If you use black electrical tape, you can feel but not see it, making it easier to get used to "feeling" the positions.

The bridge on a cello is held there by the tension of the strings, and they quite often get moved around, so I wouldn't recommend using the harmonics or scale length as references for the correct positions. If you can't do it by ear, use a tuner to find when the notes are in tune. The idea is that the player will eventually be able to correct to just intonation on the fly, but that takes a lot of practice.

Use a tuner, easy as pie.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Dude,
You are actually supposed to do it by ear. The bridges move around a little bit on orchestral stringed instruments, and you're supposed to put on tape that's about a quarter inch wide so you can adjust your intonation depending upon how things are on a given day.
The next bit is that it's also easier to deal with when its done by ear. When you're dealing with a square and everything... eew. Find the half step on the lowest string, find it on the highest string, tape a line across both points. Simple as that.

Have a sizzlin' day,
AJ

EDIT: fixed. =)
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Last edited by Emoishboy at Oct 31, 2009,