Hey all.

So on January 22, 2010, I am planning to go see Arch Enemy live in the Nokia Theatre in Times Square in New York City. I am really excited to go, but since I have never been to a metal (or rock, etc.) concert, I have no idea for planning and other information. I plan to buy the tickets online from Ticketmaster.com so I will have the tickets on me already when I go to the concert.

The concert is at 6:30 P.M. and doesn't say any ending time. I live in Central New Jersey, so I plan to take a train (NJ Transit) from Princeton Junction Station to New York Penn Station, and either walk, take a taxi, bus, or subway to Times Square.

So what time do you think I should be AT the theatre because it starts at 6:30 P.M. How long does it take to get IN the theatre? Are there lines or anything? I am planning to buy tickets from Ticketmaster.com so I will have the tickets on me already when going to the concert. Then I can buy tickets for the train if I know what time I should be there. Any advice or info on this stuff?

Also, it says "for ages 16 or older" for the concert. I am 15 years old, but I look a year or two older because I am slightly "bigger" than average and I have lots of facial hair (I do shave when I need to). Any advice or info on this stuff?

I have 2 friends who may come with me. One is in my grade (10th grade) but is slightly smaller than me, just a little bit. But he will turn 16 before the concert. My other friend is going to be 18 years old before the concert and he is black (just saying, if that makes any difference in a death metal concert). Any advice or info on this stuff?

How safe is an Arch Enemy concert? Just if you didn't know, they are a Swedish melodic death metal band. There is only standing in this concert, no seats. Where should I stand? And should I bring ear plugs? Any advice or info on this stuff?

Also, my dad might just come with me, but NOT TO THE CONCERT. He will most likely go around NYC. So it's basically me (15 years old), my friend (16 years old) and my other friend (18 years old). Any advice or info on this stuff?

How long would this kind of concert be? Because I will have to catch a train on the way back, and not many NJ Transits run late. Any advice or info on this stuff?

PLEASE give me advice and information for this concert.

Thank you!
Last edited by 1if3 0wn3r at Oct 30, 2009,
It's a fucking gig, not Operation Desert Storm.

You go there at 6.30, the band plays some songs, you stand and watch then you go home.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
You've laid this out in a pretty creepy way, but...

Get there for around half an hour before doors if you can. Presumably that's what you meant be the 'concert starting', so get there for 6.

Living in the UK, I've never been to the Nokia Theatre but most places you won't get ID'd just to get in unless it's 18 or 21+ or you're like 12.

Arch Enemy's shows aren't exactly notorious or anything, but there'll be mosh pits. If you want to avoid them either go right to the front (if you can) or more to the sides, but I'd recommend getting over the initial fear that most people have and going for it, cause it's not as brutal as it looks. Maybe not as this concert, though.

Shows normally finish at 11 or 11:30, but ring the venue and look up some train times. To get back to New Jersey you will probably have to leave a bit early.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by eazy-c
It's a fucking gig, not Operation Desert Storm.

You go there at 6.30, the band plays some songs, you stand and watch then you go home.

/thread

Move along people, nothing to see here.
Airship is liek teh best giitar playr evr!!111!1!

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!
if you want front row seats get there like an hour or two early. if you get there at 630 youll likely be in the back. i have friends who always goto concerts like 2 hours early and get to stand right up in front of like mikael akerfeldt and john haugm. ive never been to an age restricted concert before when i was younger so idk if they actually check and id or something or what. you can and probably should bring earplugs if youre planning on being anywhere near the front. these types of concerts are usually pretty safe, but youll probably get knocked around a bit if you want to go into the mosh pit. being that its arch enemy i can probably guess the pit will be a little more intense than average. but youre not going to get beat up or anything, no. people in most pits are usually very friendly at metal shows. punkass shows can be a bit different tho. but if you fall in the pit someone will probably pick you up, or if you lose a shoe or something someone will hold it up until the owner claims it. btw if youre gonna mosh take everything out of your pockets and have one of your friends hold them.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I know it seems weird asking all that, but I have heard dangerous things about metal concerts. And I've never been to any real concert in my life before. I was planning to go to a Children of Bodom concert in September, but nobody could come with me. So I have no experience.
Just get there about half an hour before doors open and just go with the flow man, nothin difficult other than transportation.

Don't worry about moshing or safety stuff when you're in there. I took my 13yo brother to a Becoming the Archetype a little while ago. Four death metal bands and the most moshing I've ever seen in a medium sized venue. It's not as big of a deal as you seem to imagine it.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 30, 2009,
Metal concerts are no more dangerous than any other type of concert. The majority of people there will probably be chilling with a beer just enjoying the band.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
no no no im not moshing lol

not that im a wussy or anything. i just wanna be safe and enjor the music without getting hurt. and im not that kinda kid who would get into fights and attack people for no reason.
Quote by 1if3 0wn3r

not that im a wussy or anything. i just wanna be safe and enjor the music without getting hurt. and im not that kinda kid who would get into fights and attack people for no reason.

Like I said, try it. It's not a 'fight' and, 'attacks' anybody else and you don't get hurt 90% of the time. It's not as dangerous as it looks.

After you've tried it, if you're not into it, then cool.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Last edited by duncang at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by eazy-c
Metal concerts are no more dangerous than any other type of concert. The majority of people there will probably be chilling with a beer just enjoying the band.

i detect sarcasm, or at least i hope
crypticslaughtr wrote:
WOOT WOOT HIT THE LIGHTS!!! I LOVE MEGADETH!!!!11111

I pay for my music
Quote by 1if3 0wn3r

thats not what a mosh pit is tho. its not a random fight or attack. its basically a bunch of dudes ****ing around pushing and knocking into each other. metal pits are usually safe. but ive seen some punkass pits go haywire. those ones can turn into fights cuz people are retarded.

its like a different way to enjoy the music. the music is intense and idk it just kinda happens and goes with it. like headbanging but different
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
you're worse than me when i went to my first concert. and i'm a wuss.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by jack hate crew

And why would that be?
Quote by ChemicalFire
Quote by 1if3 0wn3r

The only chance of injury is if you're in the middle of the mosh pit and even then it's not bad.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by jack hate crew

No really, most of us watch the band, not topless sweaty men running into each other.
Even when people do run into you full speed, you get over it quickly.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

You'll die.
Seriously though, don't be scared of a metal concert, the people are nice, nothing is going to happen to you.
Quote by eazy-c
This.
Quote by 1if3 0wn3r

The concert is at 6:30 P.M. and doesn't say any ending time. I live in Central New Jersey, so I plan to take a train (NJ Transit) from Princeton Junction Station to New York Penn Station, and either walk, take a taxi, bus, or subway to Times Square.

Calm down man

Also I love the fact that you actually say "Arch Enemy is a Swedish Melodic Death metal band"
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Last edited by Guitar_Kingdom at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by Guitar_Kingdom
Calm down man
Also I love the fact that you actually say "Arch Enemy is a Swedish Melodic Death metal band"

I DETECT THE PRESENCE OF SWEDES

Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
I love they way you wrote it as if you're a motivational speaker or one of those 'Is this as efficient as we can be?' guys.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by duncang
I DETECT THE PRESENCE OF SWEDES

ZOMGZ best smiley EVAR
Quote by ChemicalFire
The mental image i have of these guys is awesome. Sat in their treehouse with detailed maps of the subway system/city and timetables laid out on the floor. And each of them having a detailed itinery. If you don't stick to it, you get left behind!
lmao. ok ok im more relaxed about this. the biggest thing in my mind actually was how early i should be there. i would definitely go even if it was going to be dangerous. honestly. well im going then!
Okay I want you to listen to me carefully, this is how it will most likely go down... at least judging by the concerts I've gone to.

1- Get there early, my record was for a Cannibal Corpse show a few days ago 3 Hours and 25 Minutes early, on the plus side I was 6th in the Queue

2- Have some change for the cloak room, it's a God Send to be able to put your shit in a Jacket and then hand it over

3- When the show starts make sure you we're you wanna be. Some where out of the way, this is because that at the start of every show they choose a human sacrifice so that they can be sure that Satan will be smiling on the gig

4- Mosh pits are the most brutal places on earth, most of the sweaty topless men are either packing knives and ready to cut you, or will rape you due to their sexual preference

5- Find out how you're getting home and make sure you are where you need to be when the time comes

6- Band merch, if you do not buy band merch you are not br00tal enough to be at the gig. The door man will ask you to show your merch when you leave... if you fail to do so you will be sodomised

7- If you've read this far and not realised how Swiftian I just went on your ass, then you suck.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
TY TS for making me ROFLMAO uncontrollably.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Don't forget to memorise floor plans so you are able to swiftly evacuate the building to your secret rendezvous just in case the guy stuffs up the pyrotechnics
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
You want to make your presence known? Motion a space in the floor and breakdance. You'll be the talk of the metal scene in your local area.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat