I just finished this up today, and conqured my fears of playing at 140 bpm, took awhile to get my timeing just right, but I got pertty dang close. I tuned back to A# and tried to play faster, so it would be more of a low end growl thrash kinda song, course, with my personal style thrown in there. My harmonizing guitar is kinda odd, its not to off is it?

So what do ya'll think of this one?

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play725894

Leave a linky and I'll happly crit yours.
Sorry dude, the beginning is horribly out of time. The cymbals are much too loud in the mix and sound as if they aren't part of the kit. You need more practice (which is odd because some of your other stuff seems to be played better albeit without drums). You do manage to nail the riff starting at 1:12 a few times but overall this needs a lot of work.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
i dont know what its like working with a drum machine, but yeah i agree, the beginning is a bit out of time. i like your gtr. tone a lot though. what gear did you use and how did you record it?

next string change im putting my AX-350 in drop B or Bb. theres some Disarmonia Mundi and In Flames songs i really want to learn.

oh, and uh if you could take a look at the song i just posted up.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

the guitars are horribly sloppy, the cymbals too loud, the drumming monotonous, the mix confusing and guitar tone muddy and weak.
Are you recording to a click?
I usually am not this harsh, but that was a weak recording dude :/
How did you record this? I'll try and give tips to make it better
EDIT: tip 1: practice and record to a metronome and really pay attention to getting every beat right. being off time is the thing that throws recordings off most.

so... yeah, I'll be nice and give you a chance to bash my crappy songs as well

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1223582

I'm really surprised, because your other tracks are all much better what happened on this one?
Yeah, sorry to dissapoint, its just I have a real problem playing above 120 bpm, and this one is 140 bpm, I guess my style is just to slow. The drums might sound bad becuase I had to take all the bass out of them, they kept phaseing with the rythem guitar. I actually think the drum track is pertty good, just needs some volume adjusting in places.

But I used Drumkit, which like a program each note into a pattern and then set different patterns to make the song, and the drum sounds arent from any certian kit, I downloaded a 5000 drum sounds pack thing and found the best sounding sounds out of the clean drum sounds.

But I do agree my other recordings are better than this, this was more of an experinment, to see if I could play that fast. Aparently not. lol

But I used Reaper 3.13 and did a direct plugin from the preamp on my Valveking. Then used impluses to clean up the tone.

Thanks for the crits though, might try something a bit slower next time.
yeah, man, just stay at a speed where you can play tightly, and then slowly work your way up. I'm assuming you jumped directly from 120 bpm to 140?

if you did, try jumping from 120 to 125 instead. that should be difficult enough
Pertty much, I know it was prolly a dumbass thing to do, but hey, if you never take the risk you'll never learn.

Actually my comforte zone is prolly more around 100 bpm, on the drums, I can always speed up my playing over a 100 bpm track. I just recently started getting good at playing at 120 bpm, so I think I'll try your idea, makes sense.
I'm not a fast picker myself (being left-handed, but playing guitar the "normal" way, my right hand is way slower than my left, which can play sweeps and legatos at 16ths around 170bpm), but practicing gradually is the only way you'll get faster cleanly. I'm stuck at around 130bpm with picking atm, and am progressing slowly, but steadily.
Yeah, I'm going to have to work on it, I think I'll write another song tonight, more of a slow paced doom metal thing, seem to be good at it. I'm going to have a brain explosin at some point, I've been writeing and recording a song every freaken day for 2 weeks straight since I figured out DI recording sounds so much better.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, I'm going to have to work on it, I think I'll write another song tonight, more of a slow paced doom metal thing, seem to be good at it. I'm going to have a brain explosin at some point, I've been writeing and recording a song every freaken day for 2 weeks straight since I figured out DI recording sounds so much better.

I know the feeling, man. I have so many crap songs on my laptop, I don't even dare post them on UG.
I got into the habit of writing at least one song a week around april this year, and it really improved my song writing, recording technique, mixing technique and even my playing technique. Keep on writing and you'll get better