http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12--Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp-582106-i1445921.gc

I'm getting an RG7321 soon (tried and guitarcenter and I loved it) but I need a new amp. I was thinking of the Peavey 6505, but I was wondering, would it be able to do metal really well? I like to play August Burns Red, and with my new 7 string I'll be learning a lot of Dream Theater (all that I can, at least).

My budget is $600 for the amp.
Quote by ABRfan
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12--Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp-582106-i1445921.gc

I'm getting an RG7321 soon (tried and guitarcenter and I loved it) but I need a new amp. I was thinking of the Peavey 6505, but I was wondering, would it be able to do metal really well? I like to play August Burns Red, and with my new 7 string I'll be learning a lot of Dream Theater (all that I can, at least).

Are you kidding me? The 6505 is one of the best (imho) amps for metal. Honestly you won't get a better amp for metal under $600

A lot of metal, especially death metal bands use the 6505 or it's predecessor the 5150.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by justinb904
Are you kidding me? The 6505 is one of the best (imho) amps for metal. Honestly you won't get a better amp for metal under $600

This man is right
just give me a fender and let me rip
Yes. I own one. I jsut think you should change the tubes (mine came with Electro Harmonix in the preamp and Ruby 6L6 in power amp) and the speakers suck too.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Did you seriously just ask if a 6505 can do metal?
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Quote by justinb904

I tend to disagree with the first part. Its a bit fizzy and the cleans are "meh" - not that you need nice cleans for metal (well, I do but I'm not the average metalhead lol) but it does cut down on the amp's versatility.

In terms of gain, yes the amp has more than enough gain to play any type of metal that you would want to play.

I agree with the second half of your statement if you're talking new amps. The only amp that I can think of that would be just as good for less money would be an Ampeg VH140-c and that would be on the used market.
Quote by ABRfan

That, man, is a good idea. And Peaveys, they tend to have terrible customer service. I remember also having to get my Peavey fixed once every 3 months. (I took that damn thing apart & saved the spare parts.) Get a Randall amp. Those things never break down.
Quote by justinb904

A lot of metal, especially death metal bands use the 6505 or it's predecessor the 5150.

No. Sorry, but no.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No. Sorry, but no.

What are your suggestions then, mighty October '09er? I agree, the 6505 is probably the best metal amp for under $600 new.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
That, man, is a good idea. And Peaveys, they tend to have terrible customer service. I remember also having to get my Peavey fixed once every 3 months. (I took that damn thing apart & saved the spare parts.) Get a Randall amp. Those things never break down.
You're kidding right ? Peaveys are known for being the most reliable amps on the market. You might have got a bad one but they are amazingly tough. They've already thrown a Bandit 112 off a moutain and it was still working well. I don't have the quote but it's true.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp