So today i bought a brand new Peavey 6505 plus at guitar center, brought it home and hooked it into my mesa boogie 4x12 and it sounds like absolute crap! I messed with settings made sure it was plugged into 8ohm ect ect and i cant find the problem. there is a loud hum that overpowers the guitar and its definitely not usual at all.

if anyone has any insight please help me out!
Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Peavey 6505+
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
-
Morley Little Alligator Volume
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer Turbo
Boss TU-2

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Take it back?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Take it back. This sounds like a transformer issue, which is definitely not something you want to mess with on a new amp.
Check to make sure all the tubes are seated properly in their sockets. Wiggle them gently and push down.
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
did it sound like that when u tried it out at gc? possibly something wrong with the speakers?

I played it at low volume and it didnt sound anything like that until i cranked it up.
Peavey 6505+
-
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2

Check to make sure all the tubes are seated properly in their sockets. Wiggle them gently and push down.

^this

Have you ever smelt a circuit short? it smells really acidic, have a smell of the back of the amp, if you can smell a metallic acidic smell, good chance your transformer has fused...

Other than that. It'll be a failed resistor, 50c piece that a tech will charge you an hours labor to replace, just take it back if it's anything other than the loose tube that was described in the quote.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Oct 30, 2009,
im going to work with the tubes and if it doesnt sound any better im returning it. is this a reuccuring thing that happens in 6505+ or should i get another model
Peavey 6505+
-
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2

Quote by Roc8995
Take it back. This sounds like a transformer issue, which is definitely not something you want to mess with on a new amp.

+1

Listen to Colin. He knows what he's talking about when it comes to stuff like this.
Quote by Roc8995

+1

And it sounds like you just got a dud TS. I've only played one Peavey that just flat didn't work when it was brand new and I've played a lot.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
so i just took open up the back of the 6505+ to make sure the tubes were in there place and i was looking around and noticed there were no preamp tubes??? i took out the four power to make sure they werent hiding behind them and they are no where to be found. there is one box to the left and one to the right (yes i know nothing about tube amps) theres no way they could be in there right?

if not how could guitar center get away with selling me a modded amp with no preamp tube slots??
Peavey 6505+
-
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2

found them, that made me sound like a re
Peavey 6505+
-
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2

Quote by Roc8995

make that +3.

also, onc you get it replaced/sorted out, try running it at 16ohm, both head and cab... depending on what mesa cab it is. i know some are 8 ohm only. if that's yours, nevermind.

one last thing, it's a high gain amp (one of the highest, actually). expect to need a noise gate. you described this sound as unusual, but even if you get a new one that's perfect shiny and new, when you open it up you'll hear noise. if that noise is oscillating, get a hum-x or power conditioner that will eliminate 60sch.
what kind of power conditioner do you recommend, right now im looking into buying an ns-2 or decimator (i have to try them out side by side) but i also was researching power conditioners and bbe sonic reducers. any insight?>
Peavey 6505+
-
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2

Quote by GrisKy
... if that noise is oscillating, get a hum-x or power conditioner that will eliminate 60sch.

I thought a power conditioner protected your gear from surges and spikes and whatnot. I didn't think they eliminated noise caused bye electrical signals.

I may be wrong though
So, can I use this thread as argument in the next Bugera vs used Peavey thread?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
any power conditioner suggestions???
Peavey 6505+
-
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2

I thought a power conditioner protected your gear from surges and spikes and whatnot. I didn't think they eliminated noise caused bye electrical signals.

I meant specifically one that does that. My monster3500 handles it, though I can't think of any other models off the top of my head that do... haven't used a furman in ages, but i don't remember it cancelling 60sch, and i like to think i would remember.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

I may be wrong though

It will definitely fix noise caused by bad grounding. It will make sure everything is running at proper, constant, levels so that no hum is produced.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The preamp tubes should be in the lower right hand corner, you have to unscrew the plate to access them. Confused the hell outta me back when I had one as well.

Anyway, just go get a new one, you shouldnt have to pay anything or take it to a tech if it's brand new.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
yeah i brought it in and they are mailing me a brand new one. should be here this week. i need to pick up a noise gate, and was thinking of getting a power conditioner as well. hopefully everything works out
Peavey 6505+
-
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2