I've been putting a lot of thought into learning to record and edit sound, since versatility is never a bad thing. I went to Tom Lee's recording and audio dep. the other day and I got some advice on what I should start off. The first thing the staff did was recommend reading up on recording techniques, specifically "The Recording Engineers Handbook" and searching "Modern Recording Techniques".

He also recommended an Apogee Duet hardware system. Which is my question. Has anyone used it? It seems delightfully simple yet intricate, good to learn on but with enough depth to keep me learning for years. Does anyone have anything to say about it?

Much thanks!
The DUET is supposedly (I don't own one but would love to get one) a fantastic interface. According to the Apple Recording Forums - the guys who own it just rave about the sound quality. You do know it's MAC only right?
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I do know it's mac only, one thing the store employee told me about. My roommate has a computer designed for sound editing and recording, it's a mac, and I'm likely getting my own once I find the money for it. I've heard it creates CD quality, so it seems like a fantastic buy, especially with the simplicity and accessibility of it (big pluses in my books)