The deal

i orderd an RR3 from sydney and it arrived yesterday, BUT, the fretboard is a bit worn and the big wing is missing some finish on the tip but it isn't chipped.
They gave me 800$ off the guitar and 80$ off the only case that fits a rhoads.
I'm wondering how you can repair a worn fretboard without getting a new neck and how to repair missing finish? thanks for any help guys

Also, this is the very last one of this left and if i want a brand new one then i gotta pay about 1800$, i'm not paying that so help is def appreciated, thanks
Last edited by ShredHead396 at Oct 30, 2009,
Look i payed attention in woodwork When you say worn fret do you mean you could just sand every fret down and apply the suiatable varnish. Or if its more drastic you could use some high quality wood filler that matches the grain and colour of your frets.

As for the finish, i dont understand are you just missing the clear cote but not the colour, or has the paint just worn?
Quote by SteRammy
Look i payed attention in woodwork When you say worn fret do you mean you could just sand every fret down and apply the suiatable varnish. Or if its more drastic you could use some high quality wood filler that matches the grain and colour of your frets.

As for the finish, i dont understand are you just missing the clear cote but not the colour, or has the paint just worn?

There are a few fingermarks in the board from various people coming in to play and not buy it ( bastards ) and the grains of the wood look pretty diverse but that doesn't worry me.

For the paint on the tip its missing finish, i'd say its worn off because it isn't missing wood, in two small areas

is that a little clearer?
For the finish i would say lightly sand off the small area around it, and use some wood enamel for the colour and some clear enamel over the top. Guitars are finished in different ways. some are finished with a plastic coating, but if its a small area, with the right colour match you shouldnt really notice the difference The paint really isnt expensive you can get it from just about anywere. Try at your local B&Q
So its a road worn RR3 ...

I dont think you will be able to fix any of those things with out a total overhaul of each part thats effected. Perhaps if you polish the fretboard it will come up cleaner and might be less noticable.

Also $1800 for a RR3 seems pretty expensive. There about 1500 at both allans and billyhdye.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by SteRammy
For the finish i would say lightly sand off the small area around it, and use some wood enamel for the colour and some clear enamel over the top. Guitars are finished in different ways. some are finished with a plastic coating, but if its a small area, with the right colour match you shouldnt really notice the difference The paint really isnt expensive you can get it from just about anywere. Try at your local B&Q

Thanks for the insight dude, anyone else? it's good to have dif opinions
Is it a rosewood fingerboard? If so, get this:
http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=233&pmh=products/maintenance

It is it just the clearcoat that's missing? The horn seems like the biggest problem as you can restore a rosewood fingerboard. You have to remember that you're almost getting the guitar for half price. Is the horn worth $800? Is that little piece of finish worth half of the whole guitar? You probably answered no to those questions, and it would seem like you "buy it" is the obvious question. But you were willing to spend full-price for a new instrument so all of that goes out the window when you could've just went used in the first place. Tough decision. I would personally take the brand new one, but that's just me.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Is it a rosewood fingerboard? If so, get this:
http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=233&pmh=products/maintenance

It is it just the clearcoat that's missing? The horn seems like the biggest problem as you can restore a rosewood fingerboard. You have to remember that you're almost getting the guitar for half price. Is the horn worth $800? Is that little piece of finish worth half of the whole guitar? You probably answered no to those questions, and it would seem like you "buy it" is the obvious question. But you were willing to spend full-price for a new instrument so all of that goes out the window when you could've just went used in the first place. Tough decision. I would personally take the brand new one, but that's just me.

No chance of getting a new one of that particular model, i got the last one for sale at allans in australia, i'll ask about that fretboard restoring stuff but the paint on the tip doesn't really bother me