Hey guys. I recently noticed a very loud buzzing noise that comes from my amp at random times. It generally lasts until I tap on it. Generally hard enough to make the reverb give out some noise...that makes me believe that it's the reverb, but even when the verb is turned down all the way, it still does it. It generally does this soon after bringing it inside from my car - I have to haul it to jams and stuff - and it almost never happens when I'm at home. Perhaps it's from dew on the tubes or something?

Anyways, what could cause this? It's pretty cold here, so should I let it warm up a bit before actually turning it on? Maybe it's the tubes going out? Maybe the reverb is messed up a tad? I'm clueless...

Thanks!
Last edited by The.new.guy at Oct 30, 2009,
What amp is it? If its a tube amp it may be bad power amp tubes.

Have you checked your cables?
Have you checked the jacks on both your guitar and the amp to make sure there are no loose connections?
Are you running any effects between your guitar and your amp that may be causing this?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
What amp is it? If its a tube amp it may be bad power amp tubes.

Have you checked your cables?
Have you checked the jacks on both your guitar and the amp to make sure there are no loose connections?
Are you running any effects between your guitar and your amp that may be causing this?

I'm assuming it's the tubes, then. I've had it on with nothing between the guitar and amp, then with nothing on the amp at all. Still does it...I guess I'll get saving for a new set of tubes.

EDIT: Any suggestions for tubes that would give my Peavey Classic 30 more gain and a Marshall-like tone. I can't afford to get a new amp, and I don't plan on doing so very soon...I know tubes can make a lot of difference so...
Last edited by The.new.guy at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by The.new.guy
Any suggestions for tubes that would give my Peavey Classic 30 more gain and a Marshall-like tone. I can't afford to get a new amp, and I don't plan on doing so very soon...I know tubes can make a lot of difference so...

Although tubes can change your tone, its not going to make it sound like another amp. No matter what tubes you put in it, your C30 is always gonna sound like a C30.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Although tubes can change your tone, its not going to make it sound like another amp. No matter what tubes you put in it, your C30 is always gonna sound like a C30.

I was hoping for more gain, mostly...that's about it.
If you want more gain, get a boost like a ibanez ts808 or t9, run it on the dirty channel and set the level max and the gain on low.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ