Hello Dear UG:ers

Can someone learn me how to harmonize. i´ve got a paper from my guitar teacher but i don´t understand a thing.

Thanks
The simplest thing to do is use the octave. Like if you played 5th fret on A, you would harmonize with the 7th fret on G(both are the same note, D, just higher pitches). There are other ways, but I'm not exactly sure how to explain them.

You can probably harmonize using 5ths, but I bet I'm wrong. So if you were to go by D, it'd be B...
Last edited by jburde at Oct 30, 2009,
if im guessing what you mean, you mean harmonizing guitars. the easiest way i know how to do it is:

if it's a standard 7 note scale, make the guitar that you want to harmonize play a third to the first guitar, or a fifth (basically any interval of two notes higher/lower in the same scale)

or if its a diminished scale play 3 half steps higher than the first guitar (i think)

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Harmonizing simply means two notes playing the same line but with different notes. You can harmonize with any interval, but the most popular are 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th.

To harmonize with 3rds for example we would look at the scale we are in (let's say C major for convenience)

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

Now, each of these get's a corresponding number (that is the interval).

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (1)

So if we were to harmonize in 3rds, it means the other guitar would transpose the passage into E (which is the 3rd), using the same key signature as C major.

Ex:
(both guitars are being played simultaneously, record yourself and play over it or have a friend play one line)

Gtr 1

E|--------0---1---3---1---0------------
B|-1--3------------------------3---1----
G|-----------------------------------------
D|-----------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------

Gtr 2

E|--------3---5---7---5---3------------
B|-5--6------------------------6---5----
G|-----------------------------------------
D|-----------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------

Every thing Gtr 1 does, Gtr 2 does but a 3rd above.

C-D-E-F-G-F-E-D-C <-----Gtr 1.
E-F-G-A-B-A-G-F-E <------Gtr 2.

Sounds more complicated than it really is, you simply have to know the key you're playing in, and the key signature, as well as what interval you want to harmonize.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Last edited by BlueTele1983 at Oct 30, 2009,
ALL the info. youv,e got here i don,t need toadd.....rock on rock hard!!!!!!
Wouldn't your harmony kinda be dictated by the genre you are wanting to play? or is that more a question of different voicings?
Quote by Captain Capo
Wouldn't your harmony kinda be dictated by the genre you are wanting to play? or is that more a question of different voicings?

If you have been given a paper to 'harmonize' there are generally a few rules you follow.

If you look at the theory exams, they use these rules, regardless of how out-dated and how much they don't relate to music today.

also remember to use smooth voice leading (minimal movement between notes)

Look at the key and figure out your I, IV, V chords. Most of the notes he will have given you should fit into those chords, use notes from those chords to harmonize it.

Example:
Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Last edited by mdwallin at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by mdwallin

If you look at the theory exams, they use these rules, regardless of how out-dated and how much they don't relate to music today.

They don't have harmonizing sections these days....I think. My Grade 5 theory had nothing of this sort...but yeah, there are rules to harmonizing, mainly because of you harmonize the wrong notes it sounds really bad. I think harmonies are usually done in 3rds, 5ths and 8ves?