Well I just got back from Guitar Center this evening after getting my Telecaster worked on. I decided to try out some amps and played through the Epiphone Valve Jr., Fender Pro Jr., and the Vox AC4 TV8. I realized I don't need 30 watt combos and 50 watt heads, that I would just be wasting tone and money on those. So I decided to do something of a shoot out between low watt, tube combos. After trying them all out, I put the AC4 on GC's lay away program and am making payments. I just wanted to get the opinion of any AC4 owners on their long term thoughts on the amp. Obviously, your experience 6 months later is a little different than 45 minutes in a guitar store. I loved the sound and made my decision, but I'm wondering what others thought about it, whether they had any problems down the road or noticed any differences that occurred with time.

By the way, I've read through the Vox thread and searched.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
These haven't been out that long, I don't think anybody in the world has had one for six months.

My advice, though, would be to get the model with the 10" speaker rather than the 8. It's got a fuller sound and is more readily upgraded later on if you should so choose.
Either way, they're excellent little amps.
Quote by Roc8995
These haven't been out that long, I don't think anybody in the world has had one for six months.

My advice, though, would be to get the model with the 10" speaker rather than the 8. It's got a fuller sound and is more readily upgraded later on if you should so choose.
Either way, they're excellent little amps.

Yep, 100% correct. An 8" speaker just won't cut it. The 12" head and cab version is meant to be even better, not that you can tell much about tone from youtube demos some guy makes in his kitchen with a gosh darn telephone-camera.

Also the Blackheart Killer Ant and Little Giant are great affordable low watt amps too. More on the higher gain end of things, though.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
My thinking was I could use the 8" as a combo and if I wanted to, I could use it as a head (which is possible) later on down the road. The 12" head and cab version was 150$ (same price for the head, 150$ for the cab) more and the 10" combo was 75$ more.

Also, I apologize, I didn't realize they were that new.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Quote by BlueTele1983
My thinking was I could use the 8" as a combo and if I wanted to, I could use it as a head (which is possible) later on down the road.

To be honest, that's not a bad idea at all.

I like your progressive way of thinking, mate...
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by gerardwayne
To be honest, that's not a bad idea at all.

I like your progressive way of thinking, mate...

Thank you

I thought it was a good idea myself.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Quote by BlueTele1983
Obviously, your experience 6 months later is a little different than 45 minutes in a guitar store.

couldn't agree more.

it takes time to truly love or hate a piece of gear.
I've owned my AC4 for about 3 months now. I have the head version, I just use the cab I already had though, specs are in my sig. I really like the attenuator, it allows you to get tube break up at practice volumes and still open it up a little if you want to keep the cleans at a practice level. It takes pedals very well, I usually have my Small Clone and Big Muff running through it. I can easily get RHCP, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, The Black Keys, and Hendrix out of it. If I boost it with my OD, I get acceptable metallica tones.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Well just to update everyone, I got the amp paid off today and it is sitting next to me as we speak. I've been fiddling around with it all night. It took me a while to get a tone I really liked out of it, but man, once I hit it, it was golden. Nails that Shadows tone really well with some reverb and tremolo. It is the perfect volume, as I never play any louder than what I have it set at now. I do think getting a cab would help open up the sound a bit, but that is for later on down the line.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals