My pickups squeal a lot when I have no gain and a compressor on, or mid-high gain and it's bothersome

I'm upgrading my guitar soon but I'm gonna use this one still for heavier music(has humbuckers)

So I guess my question is; is there anyway I can eliminate squeal? I'm not too close to my amp, and it increases when my hand is infront of the current pickup

Oh and I'm getting a bigger and louder amp, tube amp, and I don't want to spoil the legendary tone
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Last edited by westdyolf at Oct 30, 2009,
What pickups are you talking about?

Sounds like the pickups could be microphonic, and the compressor is picking up and raising the squealing signal.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
What pickups are you talking about?

Sounds like the pickups could be microphonic, and the compressor is picking up and raising the squealing signal.

+1

A compressor pretty much levels everything out so your playing is smooth and even. Its picking up the squeal from your pickup and trying to mix it in with the notes that you're playing.
Quote by westdyolf
So I guess my question is; is there anyway I can eliminate squeal? I'm not too close to my amp, and it increases when my hand is infront of the current pickup

If you get even more squeal when your hand is in front of the amp... maybe you should check your blood iron... haha... your iron intake could be a little high.

OK honestly... are you wearing one of those health magnetic bracelets? What about rings?

Potting pickups is the only solution to solving pickup squeal.

If you pickups are aftermarket pickups they tend to come potted... but if they are stock... I think it might be worth considering trying to pot them for fun (if you can get the tools and paraffin wax). Otherwise, its a good opportunity for you to consider upgrading your pickups. I personally don't find stock pickups to be great... unless its a Gibson, Taylor, PRS... or most Fender.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
I personally don't find stock pickups to be great... unless its a Gibson, Taylor, PRS... or most Fender.

Gibson's stock pickups are okay, at best. When you're buying a guitar that already has them then they aren't bad. But for the price of buying them to put into a guitar you're better off going with something hand-wound like Bareknuckles because they're practically the same price.
I have no jewlery on at all, and it happens even with my compressor off.

They are stock pickups, and I think they're potted

I'm pretty sure they're microphonic because they tend to pick up my ringtone when my phones in my pcket.

It's just quite obnoxious and sorry it took forever to at back I got lost in the pit...

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
I'm pretty sure they're microphonic because they tend to pick up my ringtone when my phones in my pcket.

That happens with any pickups because cell phones are poorly shielded (due to the fact that if they had stronger shielding you they wouldn't pick up any signal).
Quote by i_am_metalhead
That happens with any pickups because cell phones are poorly shielded (due to the fact that if they had stronger shielding you they wouldn't pick up any signal).

What about music from my iPod?

Lol. I there any way to temporarily fix the squeal? I'll upgrade my pups soon, after the guitar and amp upgrade, but I just wanna see if it's possible to fix it

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Pot them. Not too difficult to do-there's bound to be a tutorial on the net somewhere.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Pot them. Not too difficult to do-there's bound to be a tutorial on the net somewhere.

I can't tell if they are potted, are mine not?

I'll be back when I find a tut

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
If its not the pickups, what kinda cable are you using? If its a crappy thin cable that may be the problem. Otherwise yah go ahead and try potting the pickups.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
I think I have a planet waves cable or something. It's pretty good quality cost like 20$.

I don't think I'm gonna pot them yet. Maybe when I change strings next, or just bite the bullet and drop the duncans I want in it

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
I think I have a planet waves cable or something. It's pretty good quality cost like 20$.

I don't think I'm gonna pot them yet. Maybe when I change strings next, or just bite the bullet and drop the duncans I want in it

Before you change the pickups what amp and effects (if any) are you using?
Quote by westdyolf

I think you're better off just changing the pickups to be honest.

Potting seems like an easy procedure... but it is not.

You're dealing with paraffin wax that's practically boiling.

Leave your pickups in too long and the bobbins could literally fall right off. Leave them in for too short a period of time and you'll still encounter the whole squealing issue.

Just read up on EVH's experience on potting pickups, I believe he destroyed more than just a few pickups learning to pot them correctly.

In addition, the wax is not just simple paraffin wax. I believe many pickup makers have a specific mixture of wax and something else they use. The maker of WCR spent a few years getting his potting mixture correct. Plus, after you pot the stock pickups, its not like its gonna fetch you more on the used market.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
^there's a shellac potting tutorial in the tutorial thread. Heatless potting.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.