I use some marshall stack that for the most part was dumped upon me because the owner didn't like it, i dont remember if he said it actually broke; it's from some time period too new to have an impressive vintage quality and too old to work right - and besides the tone for the most part sucking, everyonce and a while the gain cracks like a 13 year old boys voice and I never really know why. I keep the gain all the way down on the headstock and just use my pedals instead, but when im playing clean, every so often it adds distortion at random points, or when im using a pedal to add distortion, the tone trips and falls into a black hole. Is the problem in the head, the cabinet, both, or what?
It just sounds like a cheap amp breaking down.
It's probably something in the head that's causing you problems.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7

+1
Quote by darkarbiter7

Unless it's an MG DFX or a brand new haze (which it definitely is not by the sounds of things) it's hardly a cheap marshall amp. Does sound like a head problem to me. What is the model number? - the head will have it on there someplace.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by gerardwayne
Unless it's an MG DFX or a brand new haze (which it definitely is not by the sounds of things) it's hardly a cheap marshall amp. Does sound like a head problem to me. What is the model number? - the head will have it on there someplace.

What about the Valvestates. Not horrible amps but I think they fall into the "cheap Marshall" catagory!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
What about the Valvestates. Not horrible amps but I think they fall into the "cheap Marshall" catagory!

True, and they've been around ages... Not too many people throwing around JCM800's like old shoes, I guess.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by gerardwayne
True, and they've been around ages... Not too many people throwing around JCM800's like old shoes, I guess.

No no. The AVT series - Marshall's "hybrids".
If it is a Marshall tube amplifier, it is well worth having it looked at by a professional technician. It could be that the thing just needs a basic overhaul: new tubes, biasing, maybe a capacitor or two, etc. It would likely be cheaper than buying a new Marshall tube amp, and the difference in tone and reliability could be like night and day once it has been properly serviced.
Quote by FatalGear41
If it is a Marshall tube amplifier, it is well worth having it looked at by a professional technician. It could be that the thing just needs a basic overhaul: new tubes, biasing, maybe a capacitor or two, etc. It would likely be cheaper than buying a new Marshall tube amp, and the difference in tone and reliability could be like night and day once it has been properly serviced.

This may be true, but most people wouldn't just give someone a valve Marshall even if there is something wrong with it.

I'm suspecting that it's a cheap SS or hybrid amp.
mm do u have pics
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
lol thats no surprise really. to change the direction of this then, are there any recommendations for marshalls with good built in reverb? ive found some for fender and orange but id like to stick with marshall.-and still havent found any
Quote by Lrn2play
lol thats no surprise really. to change the direction of this then, are there any recommendations for marshalls with good built in reverb? ive found some for fender and orange but id like to stick with marshall.-and still havent found any

The only ones with reverb I actually like are the old 2205 and 2210. The 900 series also has reverb but I'm not the biggest 900 fan. Most good Marshall type amps don't have reverb though. Is there any reason for you wanting to stick with Marshall?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Nov 3, 2009,
i have a gib explorer.
and god damn this has been the most helpful thread ive ever had

ill check those out though, thanks
EDIT: are the haze series any good?
Last edited by Lrn2play at Nov 3, 2009,
The Haze series is ok, albeit a bit overpriced. Don't get the matching cab though. You'll be much better off getting a 2X12 from someone like Avatar.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
From that link: "This awesome, 100 watt head"
Methinks they have a different definition of awesome to me.

I own a JCM900 (my backup amp actually) and I don't mind it at all, I'd prefer a JCM800 but I got my JCM900 for an insanely cheap price. Still, once you dial it in it properly it sounds pretty damn good and certainly streets ahead of an MG. Imo putting the Marshall name on an MG is like putting a Mercedes badge on a Musso - it just aint right.

I'm not one for discouraging you from getting a Marshall but there are a lot of other amps worth considering that you can pick up on the used market. You just have to try them out really, you might find that a Laney (just as one example) might have the sound you are looking for.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the reverb either, that's something that can be picked up on ebay for small change if you are patient.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification