Genre changes withing an album CANNOT work
7 3%
It depends on how it's done
128 54%
If you want to see paradise, take a look around and see it
21 9%
Voters: 239.
Page 1 of 3
if you buy a metal album, and in between the songs of evil and destruction, all of a sudden, there is a 70's disco song with falsetto vocals and wah wah guitar, does this disturb you?

I mean, imagine if the album flows well, yet there is a huge stylistic change within the album, does this throw you off?

I guess what I'm asking is, do you think stylistic changes and genre-crossovers within a single album can work well?
If there are a lot of different genres in an album, it could work, but if there's only one song that is massively different from the others, it would mess up the flow (unless it's the first or last song on the album).

Or maybe I'm just way too tired to think clearly.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Last edited by Karvid at Oct 31, 2009,
Quote by Karvid
If there are a lot of different genres in an album, it could work, but if there's only one song that is massively different from the others, it would mess up the flow (unless it's the first or last song on the album).

This.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
I'm the only one so far that voted number 4
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Between the ....
Quote by demoniacfashion
I think the worst are when intended compliments are really stupid. Like,"Dude, you're like the black Jimi Hendrix! Does that guy even still make albums?"
Genre changes definitely can work. Look at A Day At The Races. It's got straight rock tunes mixed in with freakin' opera and whatever the hell genre "Seaside Rendesvous" and "Good Company" are.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I still don't understand when people talk about the "flow" of an album. It's just a bunch of songs in a certain order.

Unless the endings somehow lead into the next song, but that can pretty much be done between any two songs.
Generally no. You buy an artist for that style of music. If they want to play another style, make a new cd.

But sometimes it works, but not as drastic as metal to disco. Lots of metal have really soft ballads, and such. Not many artists go out of their genre too far, for a reason.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Between the Buried and me does that in songs from metalcore to death metal to jazz to some polka stuff.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
you should check out Between The Buried And Me, they tend to do that.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
from a marketing standpoint thats probably not too attractive. its ideal if a band has a set style that they excel in and perform consistently.
that said, the style of music that a certain band plays could be defined as being all over the place. there are definitely some bands that can pull that off within an album. between the buried and me have been mentioned, i think another decent example is opeth, possibly agalloch as well.
if an album has a natural flow to it then genre crossover doesn't matter much to me, but if it sounds like a random collage of sounds, then it just won't work.
Quote by MedicreDemon
omg stfu about BTBAM, they suck, the singer sounds like a 12 year old girl

I guess good music flies over some peoples' heads.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Oct 31, 2009,
Quote by MedicreDemon

ENGAGE FLAME SHIELD ENGAGE fLAME SHIELD
Quote by demoniacfashion
I think the worst are when intended compliments are really stupid. Like,"Dude, you're like the black Jimi Hendrix! Does that guy even still make albums?"
Quote by MedicreDemon

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I guess good music flies over some peoples' heads.

Yeah definitely, Imma go listen to shpongle, then king crimson, then frank zappa, then opeth, then acid bath, then daft punk, then symphony x, the john mchlaughlin.....

too bad that pretentious wankfest of BTBAM flew over my head
Quote by illuminatiano

Your sig = win.

Quote by MedicreDemon
Yeah definitely, Imma go listen to shpongle, then king crimson, then frank zappa, then opeth, then acid bath, then daft punk, then symphony x, the john mchlaughlin.....

I'm not asking you to like them, I'm asking you to accept the fact they're an extremely talented and exceptionally diverse band. I quote you saying; "omg, they suck rorororororor!!!111!!1one!!1!!" You know this isn't true, stop lying to yourself, boy. The fact that you can't even use correct grammar isn't helping your case here, either.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Oct 31, 2009,
Have u evar herd of Between the Buried and Me?

/troll
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by MedicreDemon

You sound like a 12 year old girl stfu. BTBAM are gods you sir you fail. Write a solo as complicated as Selkies and then talk or become 1/100 the guitarist Paul is and then talk.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
Last edited by NY_FootBall49 at Oct 31, 2009,
Quote by 'Leviathan'
Your sig = win.

I'm not asking you to like them, I'm asking you to accept the fact they're an extremely talented and exceptionally diverse band. I quote you saying; "omg, they suck rorororororor!!!111!!1one!!1!!" You know this isn't true, stop lying to yourself, boy. The fact that you can't even use correct grammar isn't helping your case here, either.

dude, i obviously dont give a shit about showing how well i can type to you, and leave it to a ****ing BTBAM fan to go straight to bothering someone about their grammar.

I know they are kind of talented but they are a very shitty bandm, and they annoy the shit out of me, as do the fans. so........**** you.

Also, leave it to a pretentious BTBAM fan to present a pathetic attempt at hyperbole to insult someone.
Quote by MedicreDemon
dude, i obviously dont give a shit about showing how well i can type to you, and leave it to a ****ing BTBAM fan to go straight to bothering someone about their grammar.

I know they are kind of talented but they are a very shitty bandm, and they annoy the shit out of me, as do the fans. so........**** you.

Also, leave it to a pretentious BTBAM fan to present a pathetic attempt at hyperbole to insult someone.

Saying every BTBAM fan is the same, and "pretentious" isn't helping. It shows plain ignorance.
You don't have to like the band, but getting so riled up over a band you don't like isn't the best idea. People like different things. You think they suck. Ok. Let it be.
Quote by MedicreDemon

one of the most pretentious posts I've ever seen.

nice work being a massive hypocrite.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Quote by MedicreDemon

Calm the fuck down. If you don't like them, don't expect everyone else to feel the same.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
op : let's talk about metal bands that have parts that contain different genres of music !
group of posters 1 : BTBAM is one of those bands. You should give them a listen
group of posters 2 : WAAAH. WAAAH. BTBAM ARE TERRIBLE. ITS JUST A FACT. IM GOING TO COMPARE THEM TO OTHER BANDS ( Opeth ) THAT CLEARLY DO NOT WRITE THE SAME MUSIC.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
^THEY DO WRITE THE SAME MUSIC YOU BIGOT! IT'S PROGRESSIVE, AND PROGRESSIVE MUSIC IS IN NO WAY BROAD AND VERY OPEN TO INTERPRETATION! >:C

But they are not the same band, not wanting to go in the same direction of music at all ( BTBAM clearly being a Hardcore band at roots, while Opeth has Black/Death Metal roots ), and completely off-topic to this thread.
Quote by illuminatiano
But they are not the same band, not wanting to go in the same direction of music at all ( BTBAM clearly being a Hardcore band at roots, while Opeth has Black/Death Metal roots ), and completely off-topic to this thread.

'twas a joke. =]
Page 1 of 3