I was checking out pedals on Musician's Friend and I noticed tube pedals...specifically, Blackstar.

I was checking out their high-gain distortion tube pedal and I was wondering if it would sound any better than the normal pedals out there...

Thoughts?
should also take a look at the "effectrode" lineup

yes, the tube will make a bit of a difference in the tone...not sure how much but it WILL add something
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
It will sound good, but not as good as a tube preamp. Imo they're a great way to liven up SS amps if you don't have enough for a tube amp.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Well, I have a tube amp, but I'd love to have a really heavy distortion for it BECAUSE...

I have a footswitch for it and I want it to control the reverb...I need something to control the distortion. Not saying that I wouldn't ever use the distortion channel, but I'd like to have some heavier gain more readily available than what it is right now. (ATM, I have a Peavy C30 amp and to get really heavy gain out of it, I need a boost in front of it so when I switch to the clean channel, I have to switch two pedals in quick succession...)
Blackstar's pedals, imo, sound much better than other pedals in general.

Most "tube" pedals are just a gimmick because they are only sending 9, 12, or 18 volts (whatever the pedals running on) to the tube, which isn't enough to do anything.

Some pedals have a transformer in them which bumps up the voltage being delivered to the tube, but most pedals are just a gimmick.
If you need to boost your C30, I'd go for an OD. A classic 30 can get really heavy with an overdrive. There is a Blackstar tube overdrive, also look into a Fulltone OCD or a Ibanez TS9 (even though they aren't tube).

The thing with tube pedals is, no tube pedal can run with enough power to really drive a preamp tube. This means that tube pedals are only somewhat resemblant of a tube preamp. That said, the blackstar does take 18 volts DC, and I can confidently tell you that imho there is a noticeable difference between a Blackstar tube distortion and a regular distortion.

Edit- ^ beaten to it by I am metalhead.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Last edited by jc349 at Oct 31, 2009,
Interesting point, metalhead. Musician's Friend Magazine says "The HT Series tube overdrive pedals feature true high-voltage (300V) circuitry..." With that stated, would this be a good $180 investment, or should I just go with something cheaper? I was also looking at the Metal Muff pedal by Electro-Harmonix. Does anyone think that would be a good choice?

EDIT: I already boost it, jc. Thanks for the other info, though.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Oct 31, 2009,
Quote by The.new.guy
Interesting point, metalhead. Musician's Friend Magazine says "The HT Series tube overdrive pedals feature true high-voltage (300V) circuitry..." With that stated, would this be a good $180 investment, or should I just go with something cheaper? I was also looking at the Metal Muff pedal by Electro-Harmonix. Does anyone think that would be a good choice?

as I stated above, the Blackstar pedal ony takes 18 volts of AC. That said, I would much rather have it than a metal muff. The sound difference is there.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by jc349
as I stated above, the Blackstar pedal ony takes 18 volts of AC. That said, I would much rather have it than a metal muff. The sound difference is there.

+1

It shouldn't matter if it has a tube in it or not. Use your ears - if you like the tone then thats all that matters.
tube pedals are great with tube amps because they give you better tone and more useable gain.

the problem with them is that the dirty your cleans obviously.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
tube pedals are great with tube amps because they give you better tone and more useable gain.

the problem with them is that the dirty your cleans obviously.

I can't say that I'll mind the slightly grittier cleans. I think it would sound awesome, actually.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
as the owner of a Blackstar HT-DUAL I can say they are amazing pedals

I've actually been thinking about buying that pedal rather than the high-gain distortion pedal. Considering it's only $30 more and it has two channels, I think it'd be worth the extra cash.
If you're going to be using the pedal on your clean channel, get the dual distortion. If you want to boost your Classic 30s gain channel, go for the overdrive

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by jc349

right, but that 18v is amplified within the pedal. i don't deny that there are gimmic tube pedals out there with "starving tubes," but the blackstar ht dual is not one of them, and it's a great lttle pedal in general. i personally really REALL dig the radial tonebone classic, but many prefer the hot british.

as to one of the previous comments stating that the pedal will dirty up your cleans, well, yeah, if you leave it on! it's a pedal, a distortion/overdrive pedal. its job is to dirty things up. if you want cleans from your clean channel, here's a grand idea: try turning it off with the provided footswitch.
Quote by GrisKy
as to one of the previous comments stating that the pedal will dirty up your cleans, well, yeah, if you leave it on! it's a pedal, a distortion/overdrive pedal. its job is to dirty things up. if you want cleans from your clean channel, here's a grand idea: try turning it off with the provided footswitch.

+1

That's exactly what I was thinking.

And where were you earlier!?? There was another "noise reduction pedal" thread a few hours ago and I was looking to start round 3

Quote by GrisKy
right, but that 18v is amplified within the pedal. i don't deny that there are gimmic tube pedals out there with "starving tubes," but the blackstar ht dual is not one of them, and it's a great lttle pedal in general. i personally really REALL dig the radial tonebone classic, but many prefer the hot british.

. Thanks for the correction, I didn't know that.

TS: Listen to Grisky

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by jc349
If you're going to be using the pedal on your clean channel, get the dual distortion. If you want to boost your Classic 30s gain channel, go for the overdrive

'Swhat I be goin' for.
Quote by GrisKy
i don't deny that there are gimmic tube pedals out there with "starving tubes,"...

A prime example would be the Ibanez TK999US. The new TK999HTs have a transformer to pump up the intake and deliver 300v to the tube.

The sad thing is the old USs sound much better than the HTs, imo.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
A prime example would be the Ibanez TK999US. The new TK999HTs have a transformer to pump up the intake and deliver 300v to the tube.

That's er...pathetic...
Quote by i_am_metalhead

in the end, it's all about what your ears think.

as for the noise gates... and reverb pedals... and delays... most things to do with pickups... "whch amp..." i'm really getting tired of those threads. how come we never see Diamond, Laboga, Diezel, Brunetti, Voodoo, Two Rock, The Valve, DrZ, Bogner other than Alchemist, Blackstar other than HT-5, Hayden, Rivera...

everything's Engl this or 6505+ that with the occational Mesa, Orange, Marshall, Splawn or Soldano. everything's "don't get a spider, don't get an MG."

once in a blue moon we'll see a great vintage fender or vox thread... maybe a sunn.

wh does it feel like no one is doing their homework on what's out there besides the same faces I always see on these same threads? I know you regulars feel the same way, right?

...it just gets exhausting, that's all.
On topic bit first: TS the Blackstar pedals are amazing I had one and it just sounded awesome, I only sold it because I had the distortion one and boosting my amp gave me a better sound.

Quote by GrisKy
in the end, it's all about what your ears think.

as for the noise gates... and reverb pedals... and delays... most things to do with pickups... "whch amp..." i'm really getting tired of those threads. how come we never see Diamond, Laboga, Diezel, Brunetti, Voodoo, Two Rock, The Valve, DrZ, Bogner other than Alchemist, Blackstar other than HT-5, Hayden, Rivera...

everything's Engl this or 6505+ that with the occational Mesa, Orange, Marshall, Splawn or Soldano. everything's "don't get a spider, don't get an MG."

once in a blue moon we'll see a great vintage fender or vox thread... maybe a sunn.

wh does it feel like no one is doing their homework on what's out there besides the same faces I always see on these same threads? I know you regulars feel the same way, right?

...it just gets exhausting, that's all.

+1 unless I've missed something there hasn't been anything particularly interesting around here since MC's NAD a few weeks back. It just seems everyone on here at the moment wants cheap/metal.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by nightraven
i have a really good NPD coming soon

You always have really good NPD's

I look forward to it
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by nightraven
i have a really good NPD coming soon

YESSS!!!
you KNOW a nightraven NPD is gonna be the shizz!!!