What gear would you recommend buying form anything youve tried or bought and why?

Would

Schecter c1 guitars..very well made, very versitile and good value
Ibanez S series...same
zoom g9 2tt multi fx pedal..great tone for a multi fx pedal
baron custom mIII amps...best amp ive ever bought or heard.

Wouldnt

Whammy pedal..well i never use mine
Marshall jcm2000..not great tone better alternatives
Would: Acoustic Guitar. Yamaha F335 (For anyone with a $100-$150 budget)
Wouldn't: Guitar tuner. I have perfect pitch so it only verifies what I already know... (I'm jk, I don't really have anything I wouldn't recommend)

Edit: I know one. Low end Ibanez guitars. I donno if they have higher end ones, but all the ones I played (Under $500) didn't sound very good at all.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Would-

guitars
-ibanez S series
-PRS anything, even SE
-epi Les Paul Ultra II
-agile Les pauls
-not squier bullet
-not anything with EMGs if you don't have a tube amp
-not cheap ibanez RGs

amps
-bugera V22/55, not the V5
-Vox AC4
-Fender Superchamp XD
-not Fender fontman if you use distortion
-not Line 6 Spider over 30 watts
-not Marshall MG over 30 watts
-full stacks are mehh. I'd rather have one nice 4x12 with nice speakers rather than 2 4x12s not as good.

Pedals
-can't comment much here, but
-ibanez tonelock are good budget pedals, as are Danelectro Cool Cats
-stay away from BOSS distortion unless you will mod it.

That's about all I can think of in general about cheaper gear that is good. I'm not that up on expensive gear though

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I use my whammy all the time (built into my MFX pedals). It's the best way I've found to detune Floyd Rose guitars and to play bass fills when I'm playing alone.

Do recommend Schecter shred guitars (love my cheap Avenger) & Ibanez XPT700. (Neck-through, mahogany, FR, reverse headstock, DiMarzio Pups, all for street price of $700)

Do recommend MIA Strats or Squier Standard/Deluxe Strats (if on a tight budget). 22 frets > 21 frets. 2 point trem > 6 point. Highway 1 OK if you're going to replace the trem anyway. Don't recommend MIM or Squier Bullet or Starcaster--plywood bodies & you might get splinters from the necks

Don't recommend any Marshall MG--cheap construction + cheap components = muddy sound
Last edited by jetwash69 at Oct 31, 2009,
good concept for a thread, but this will never survive... too many exceptions, and entirely too subjective. for example, i'd never recommend a multi-fx floor unit UNLESS i was talking to a newbiewho wanted to test different sounds, or maybe a gigging guitarist who plays many different covers in various styles and was working within a limited budget. i'd personally never recommend a verbzilla, but there are people on this forum who play a lot of space rock (etc.) who swear by that particular pedal.

i suppose there are the absolute fails that everyone already knows about, high wattage MG's, Spider III's, but that'll only turn this thread into a flame fest... which will lead to generalizations about the various companies' entire product catalogue. case and point: the very first post had a jcm2000 in the "wouldn't" column. there are plenty of instances when a jcm2000 would be just right, subjectively speaking. same with a whammy pedal. i don't personally use one, but what if i wanted that sound? would it be better for me to sell off a les paul that i love for a guitar i'm not really happy with just because it has a floyd rose?
Quote by GrisKy
...would it be better for me to sell off a les paul that i love for a guitar i'm not really happy with just because it has a floyd rose?

I think you answered your own question.

And you're right, it's totally subjective. That's why it's helpful if people follow the TS's instructions and post why they do or don't
Would:
Marshall JCM 900
Fender MIJ
Epiphone G400
Blackstar pedals
Blackstar amps
Hayden amps (provided they were looking for that sound)
Fret King guitars
MBM pedals

Wouldn't:
Epiphone Les Paul standard - the quality of mine was absolutley atrocious
Peavey Vyper - I found them to be very muddy and not worth the hype at all
Behringer pedals

Actually there's very little I wouldn't recommend because everyone wants something different, there's a lot I wouldn't use thought
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Would:

Ibanez WD-7. Best, most versatile wah I've ever heard, sounds awesome. Literally good for any style at all.

ProCo Turbo RAT - Great sounding distortion, though it's not quite right for what I want.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Would:

- Peavey Vypyr (30W): Probably the best amp for beginners, it has a ton of features, and sounds better than many amps at the price-range.

Wouldn't:

- Line 6 Spider III: I have played and heard them so many times because most of my friends own those amps. It's pretty impossible to get a good tone of it, no matter for how many hours you try to tweak it.

- Crybaby GCB 95: Just doesn't sound good.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Would

Godin Detour - Fantastic guitar for the price, once I get a new guitar I'm gonna mod this one to keep it up to speed.

Pod X3 - A very dynamic tone control tool. I can create really good tones to suit almost any genre.

MXR 10 band EQ - Throw it in an FXs loop to dial in the exact tone you are looking for.

RP250 - not the greatest tone generator but I'd recommend this to anyone who is unfamiliar with pedals and wants to get an idea of different effects pedals, delay, etc. Good price to.

Wouldn't

Maxon OD808 - Not worth the hefty price tag.

Krank Rev Jr. - I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a Metal amp, it has good tone but it lacks the balls (by itself) to go fullbore on distortion. Great for classic rock and hard rock though.
Quote by woodenbandman
Would:

Ibanez WD-7. Best, most versatile wah I've ever heard, sounds awesome. Literally good for any style at all.

ProCo Turbo RAT - Great sounding distortion, though it's not quite right for what I want.

Then you've obviously never used/heard any other wah on the market!

Oh wait...

You like DragonForce. That explains it

To make my post non-spamish:

Would:
Higher end LTD guitars
Line 6 Flextone
Line 6 Vetta
SF Bassman
Ibanez TK999US

Would not:
Modern production Marshalls
Ibanez Toneblaster
DigiTech Distortions (excluding the Hardwire series)
Ibanez WD-7 (unless you need something solely for high-gain playing)
Would
Any PRS
Bad Cat amps
Diamond Amps
G&L Guitars
Digitech Hardwire pedals
TC Electronics Nova System/G System
Vox Tonelabs
Bareknuckle Pickups

Wouldn't
Any lower end MFX unit made by Digitech or Boss
Many Boss pedals (cba to list them all)
Line 6 Spider, Vetta and Flextone (Vetta and Flextone cause for the price you could get a good tube amp)
Low End Ibanez's
Dean + BC Rich (Just can't dig the spikiness)