I need a new practice and minor gigging amp. Retiring my Roland Microcube, I searched high and low and asked for tons of advice. Went to the music shop and tried a bunch more out. And really liked the VoxAC30. The tone seemed so "organic." One concern: I hear its not good for metal, 85% of my arsenal. The shop attendant kept urging me to buy buy buy and it will work out when I figure how to the use the amp to its fullest potential...I just felt like he was trying to make a sale.
Anyway, to anyone who knows, is Vox just not good for metal? Considering its wattage, are there any amps out there that are? and not more than $500?
Vox AC30s can do metal, but it's a stretch. Just one question- you do realize the Vox AC30 is appx $1100 for the CHEAPEST one and you're asking to suggest other amps in the $500 price range? Is your budget the price of an AC30, or $500?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
like $60 more and I'd suggest a Peavey 6505+ 112 which is a killer amp for metal
but for under $500 try looking into Randall amps

and ebay, if you're into the more extreme metal like death metal look for the Ampeg VH-140c (search ampeg vh for better results) or Crate GX130c or used Peavy's and Randalls
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Might not have been an AC30. Don't they do one called an AD30 which is solid state or hybrid, and alot cheaper? Vox is one of the only brands where I can't get the model numbering system.
Nothing under $500 is gonna beat an AC30 for anything, except maybe for metal. Look into the 6505+, but it won't give you the organic sounds that the Vox does.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
If it is indeed the AC30, you can get metal out of it. It's certainly a novel approach to the genre, but the CC series has a good master volume and you can get some really lovely grind out of the amp. Toss a pedal on top and you'll have some very unique metal tones. If you like it, you can make it work. The only thing I'd qualify that with is that you might not get enough bass out of it. If you're doing downtuned rhythm chugs I think you might want to look elsewhere.
Maybe a used 1x12, those were 700 new before they were discontinued. It's a hell of a deal if it's an actual AC30, whichever version it is.
Quote by jc349
Vox AC30s can do metal, but it's a stretch. Just one question- you do realize the Vox AC30 is appx $1100 for the CHEAPEST one and you're asking to suggest other amps in the $500 price range? Is your budget the price of an AC30, or $500?

the music shop here (i'm in japan) is selling it for approx. 340
Quote by preciousflyingv
I need a new practice and minor gigging amp. Retiring my Roland Microcube, I searched high and low and asked for tons of advice. Went to the music shop and tried a bunch more out. And really liked the VoxAC30. The tone seemed so "organic." One concern: I hear its not good for metal, 85% of my arsenal. The shop attendant kept urging me to buy buy buy and it will work out when I figure how to the use the amp to its fullest potential...I just felt like he was trying to make a sale.
Anyway, to anyone who knows, is Vox just not good for metal? Considering its wattage, are there any amps out there that are? and not more than $500?

i just called the music shop and checked: it is indeed a vox ac30 for $340. and they have the next one up for 380 but used.
Wow I wanna live in Japan.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by preciousflyingv
i just called the music shop and checked: it is indeed a vox ac30 for $340. and they have the next one up for 380 but used.

BUY IT!
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Guys...
Quote by Ali-b912
Might not have been an AC30. Don't they do one called an AD30 which is solid state or hybrid, and alot cheaper?
Anyway, if metal is 85% of your arsenal, what is the remaining 15%? We need to know that before helping you.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
It's not an AC30 - its an AD30. Modelling amp - you can do better for 500. I have one, and they are great, but I don't like many of the modern high gain tones. What does it look like? If its brown, DO IT! If its silver, don't!

its brown
The AC30 is pretty agressive, especially when boosted. But its a VERY trebly amp when you get to that kind of gain. If you can deal with that go for it.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Guys...Anyway, if metal is 85% of your arsenal, what is the remaining 15%? We need to know that before helping you.

acoustic-electric
Quote by The_Bosstone
Guys...Anyway, if metal is 85% of your arsenal, what is the remaining 15%? We need to know that before helping you.

really? we do? i thought we pretty much covered that it can do metal (barely, imo), and on top of that, it's got some of the best cleans and sweetest overdrive of any amp ever made! the ac30 is a classic (and my gas obsession, if you couldn't tell), and if you can pick one up for $300 and change you'd be a fool not to (though i have my doubts that it's actually an ac30, and condition is unknown).
You have to go for it at that price no matter what you play.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
To be honest, I think I would rather have a Vox AC30 for metal over a 6505 like everyone else. Put on OD in front and an EQ in the loop and you should be fine.