Okay, so both guitar companys make very high quality instruments, practically without flaws. But a guitar's a guitar and i have played guitars for just over £300 that play better than gibsons for twice as much. Im just asking, what the hell am i paying for.

Its less of a problem for dean, but still pretty expensive. I thinking of buying the dean vendetta 1f, but i dont know if there acctually any good

Im sure plenty of people own gibsons and deans, so please post your thoughts
DEAN FTW you cant go wrong (unless it shipped broken or something which is rare)
Quote by SteRammy
But a guitar's a guitar and i have played guitars for just over £300 that play better than gibsons for twice as much. Im just asking, what the hell am i paying for.

The £300 Chinease or whatever guitar is probably going to be a higher spec, a £600 Gibson is going to be basic and from what I gather, in general low end Gibsons are not great quality, you are just paying for the Name.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
It's pretty much summed up in "made in the US" vs "made in Asia"...

Edit: It's the same for Epiphone & Gibson, or Fender & Squier, even though there are some Fender guitars made in Mexico (aka MiM) that are cheaper.
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Last edited by tickler444 at Oct 31, 2009,
low end US-Made vs. Asia low end made

No winners. A cheap guitar is a cheap guitar, cheap being defined by the manufacturing countries' labor costs.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I own a Gibson Les Paul GODDESS, a kind of "mid-price"-Les Paul for approx 1000£. And all i can say is that after 1 jear of relationship to her, it´s a great guitar with undoubtly a better tone than higher valued insruments like the standard LP.

If you are not shure if an instrument it worth the money, test it and compare it to others at your local dealer. Don´t ever order instruments on the internet, without having played them your own.
Quote by Anthony1991
This will get locked soon sadly, no vs threads

Well if he's planning on buying one, they may let it slide. Unless they wage war on the threads.

EDIT: ignore the idiot(me) this is gonna get closed soon, especially since we have a lot of Gibson haters and dean haters.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Last edited by westdyolf at Oct 31, 2009,
To be honest with you, I find most of the new Dean line extremely mediocre for what you're paying. You might as well get a Schecter or a Jackson or something. I've owned a few '79' series Deans, as well as a Razorback for a very, very brief period of time.

The only Dean I still have is my Vintage 1983 Dean Z Standard. That guitar is a phenomenal axe.

The problem with Gibbies is the fact that you have to sit in a guitar store for like 5 hours to find one that has the right neck, the right sound and the right look.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
To be honest with you, I find most of the new Dean line extremely mediocre for what you're paying. You might as well get a Schecter or a Jackson or something. I've owned a few '79' series Deans, as well as a Razorback for a very, very brief period of time.

The only Dean I still have is my Vintage 1983 Dean Z Standard. That guitar is a phenomenal axe.

The problem with Gibbies is the fact that you have to sit in a guitar store for like 5 hours to find one that has the right neck, the right sound and the right look.

^^^That. Hatebreeder is right.

BTW, HB, do you still even listen to Bodom?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
^^^That. Hatebreeder is right.

BTW, HB, do you still even listen to Bodom?

Well I still listen to them, just not anything off Blooddrunk.

I might be a lame bluesman now but I still gots teh brutz in me.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
In my experience, higher end guitars made outside of the U.S. are usually a better deal than the cheap U.S. made ones (Throw some better pickups, and/or hardware in and you have a nice axe), but the nice U.S. made guitars (the expensive ones) are pure bliss (U.S-made strats, Jacksons = drool)

I own a Squire Floyd Rose HSH strat and a Jackson DK2M Dinky, which are both made in Japan, and a US-made Gibson Explorer. Oddly enough, I play the explorer the least of the three (This could largely be due to my preferences in how a guitar feels and plays though, the the strat and Dinky do have bigger frets, which I like). But the bottom line is still to try everything out that you're considering buying, and going with the one that seems the best for YOU.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Gibson are definately overpriced. Some people will make the argument that they're made of higher quality woods, and that justifies the price. Wood quality doesn't factor into it THAT much since guitar manufacturers get even the highest quality woods for dirt cheap in comparison to what the public can get. Also, it doesn't matter how good the wood is if the build quality is awful. For instance, I played a Gibson Explorer that felt worse than my Squier Affinity Strat (not kidding).
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
WOW did i really just start a debate?

Well i played a gibson lp standard today, and i have to say your right they are built well and sound phenominal. But the neck on them things. Its like playing a drainpipe with a fret board stuck on