Oh hai guise, I noticed there was a distinct lack of meat-related discussion on this forum and since meat is relevant to my interests, I decided to boost it up a bit with the best kind of meat: steak of course! How do you like your steak cooked? What is your favourite cut? Can you recommend any restaurants that serve amazing steaks? Just to get the juices flowing, here is some information about steak:

Steak cuts:

Cooking temperatures and terminology:
Raw - Uncooked. Used in dishes like steak tartare, Carpaccio, Gored gored, tiger meat and Kitfo.
Blue rare or very rare - (110°F core temp) Cooked very quickly; the outside is seared, but the inside is usually cool and barely cooked. The steak will be red on the inside and barely warmed. Sometimes asked for as "blood rare" or "bloody as hell". In the United States this is also sometimes referred to as 'Black and Blue' or 'Pittsburgh Rare'.
Rare - (120°F core temp) The outside is gray-brown, and the middle of the steak is red and slightly warm.
Medium rare - (145°F degrees core temp) The steak will have a fully red, warm center. Unless specified otherwise, upscale steakhouses will generally cook to at least this level.
Medium - (150°F degrees core temp) The middle of the steak is hot and red with pink surrounding the center. The outside is gray-brown.
Medium Plus - (155°F degrees core temp) More than medium, but not quite medium well.
Medium well done - (160°F degrees core temp) The meat is light pink surrounding the center.
Well done - (170°F degrees core temp) The meat is gray-brown throughout and slightly charred.

Mishima steak:
Mishima beef is a type of beef produced in Japan that is much rarer than Kobe beef. It is named after the tiny Mishima Island in the Sea of Japan 40 km northwest of Yamaguchi Prefecture.
The progenitors of the Kobe and Mishima cattle were probably brought to Japan by ancestors of the modern Japanese people over 2,000 years ago. Whereas Kobe beef is the result of breeding these with European cattle, the Mishima have never been crossed with modern European breeds. This is possible because of the area's unique island geography.

Pictures of steak

Personally, I like my steak medium-rare, and I prefer sirloin and New York cuts.

Steak on!
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
I had fillet steak for dinner With fries and onion rings.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I had fillet steak for dinner With fries and onion rings.

The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
A flame seared porterhouse, medium rare, with a side of green beans, and steamed potatos.

Damn, I'm hungry.
How about steakhouses? Here are a few summaries of some steakhouses in Australia (from my point of view):

Outback Steakhouse
I've only been here a couple of times, and I wasn't all that impressed on either visit. The steaks are quite thick, but on both visits there was a fair amount of gristle and the steaks themselves weren't very flavoursome.

Hog's Breath
Hog's Breath is a pretty popular chain. There are a number of them around where I live, and for good reason. Their pricing is reasonable, and they are consistent. I can't say their steaks are amazing, but they are decent, and they come with good sides. One thing to keep in mind is that their "16 hour slow-cooked" steaks are pre-cooked, stored, and re-warmed upon ordering. As a result, they are less juicy than one might come to expect from a good steak.

Silver Spur Steak Ranch
One of the best steaks I've had was bought here. I had the "lazy aged" steak. Pricey by comparison, but it was a decent size and was tender and juicy all the way through. I can't make an accurate review, however, as I've only had this meal once. The sauce and sides with this meal were also quite good. Recommended.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Rare kangaroo fillets with morrocan seasoning

/thread
member of the Australia FTW! group (pm the random hero or alter bridge to join (aussies only)
I cooked a steak whilst really pissed yesterday, needless to say it wasn't the greatest steak i'd ever eaten.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Last edited by I.O.T.M at Oct 31, 2009,
Pepper Steak, medium rare, si'l vous plait.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

I like my steaks so rare that they are still mooing!!!!
But in all seriousness(as serious as a forum about meat can be) Texas Roadhouse has the best steak I've had in a restaurant... ever...
Last edited by IronMaiden76 at Oct 31, 2009,
quality tenderloin, medium, garlic butter or black pepper

absolute orgasminyourmouth
Guitar - The true Religion
I was in Harrods the other day and was looking at some steaks. The had a Japanese type (not Kobe) that was selling for £180 for a single, relatively small steak.
I thought this was about "seak appreciation".
I know a lot about steaks, and I eat them a lot. I work at a butcher's as a cleaner/product tester. The second part of that is unofficial, but hey: free food!
Rib eye steak, cooked as rare as possible, about 45 seconds a side, on a very hot barbecue is the best. With thick and crispy chips and a decent coleslaw, and a nice pint of Hobgoblin.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Wheres the puny Taco lovers

This Kobe Steak Bitches!
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Last edited by Nexium at Nov 1, 2009,