Hi i have a LTD M-1000 Deluxe and it has 2 emg 81s in it. I want to change them to passives simply because i dont think i need actives and i just couldnt get used to them. I dont know how to change the actives to passives but i can take it to a tech. Is it a process which is very costly? Also since i have a battery slot can i use that to install some kind of booster or something? Btw which pickups would you recommend me? With the bridge pickup i play metal rhythms and i use neck pickup for solos and clean stuff. I play stuff like in flames, children of bodom also im working on progressive metal like symphony x and dream theater and neo classical stuff. Btw please recommend me seymour duncans or dimarzios because in my country we dont have pickups like bareknuckles.
youll need to change your pots

i suggest checking out the dimarzio site and listen to what each of the pickups sound like
the only thing there i can really recommend you (according to your like of dream theater) are: in neck: air norton (all dt albums i think about from 1997-systematic chaos), or liquifire (bc&sl) and in bridge: d sonic, steve's special (i think he may have switched between the two, but used d sonic, most predominantly), or crunch lab (bc&sl)

all 5 pickups are/have been used by petrucci and all 5 are dimarzio

alexi laiho uses actives im pretty sure
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Quote by Bob_Smith

alexi laiho uses an active im pretty sure

Fixed
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Well alexi first useb jackson j 50 pickup with booster after he used emg hz 4 i think and then for a short while he used seymour duncan blackout and now he has a signature emg which is a passive pickup with an active booster. Btw thanks for your help i will check dimarzio's site.
Quote by falconthefirst
Fixed

ah yes. good point
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
I changed my esp eclipse EMG'S irongear blues engines.

I used this to hook it up

http://bcsguitars.com/?page_id=585
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Right to change from active to passive what you'll need to do is change your pots (25K to 500K), your input jack (stereo to mono), remove the battery clip (you'll do this when you change pots), and also you'll need to ground the guitar by soldering a wire from the back of your volume pot all the way to the trem claw (now I'm not too sure on this but I do remember some guitars with active pickups already have a wire soldered onto the trem claw so all you need is to solder that wire onto your volume pot)
Quote by Bob_Smith
youll need to change your pots
+1. EMGs need 25K pots which are not sufficient for passives. You'll need 250K or 500K replacements. Just ask you're local electronics store