So the abc's new show taking on popular culture and current affairs has been running for a few weeks now, i for one find the the way they mix comedy with news rather ingeneous. what do you think?
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Quote by Butt Rayge
It's Aussie...

It's pretty cool. Looking forward to the conclusion of 'Robot Wars'

So am I! the whole bug thing is just ****ed up
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
I love Hungry Beast... when the ads first came on, I wondered what it was and then after a bit I started to get really angry at it because I couldn't figure out what the heck it was about. When it finally started, I got hooked. Especially after the hoax thing with Media Watch.
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
Quote by rigiddigits
Hungrey? Ingeneous?

Less TV and more book-learnin' for you son.

Agreed.

But at least it's intelligent tv (as intelligent as tv gets) and not Rove or Neighbours or Home and away or some crappy dickfucking cockarse bullcunt.

I think John Saffran's Race Relations is the best thing on at the moment, aside from good ol' Spicks And Specks. And they're all on wednesday on the ABC.

Of course, If the Chaser were around still, they'd claim my top position.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Agreed.

But at least it's intelligent tv (as intelligent as tv gets) and not Rove or Neighbours or Home and away or some crappy dickfucking cockarse bullcunt.

I think John Saffran's Race Relations is the best thing on at the moment, aside from good ol' Spicks And Specks. And they're all on wednesday on the ABC.

Of course, If the Chaser were around still, they'd claim my top position.

mmmmmmmmm, i think the chaser ran outta steam at the end of the second season. they just became to well known to the general population, and the media to continue being funny the way they were.

and i know my spelling its terrible
Quote by neopowell

Blog?
follow me
The show's okay. Not especially funny though - seems like they're trying to take the casual style of the Chaser too. Very amateur-ish in some spots. Can't say I'm really that impressed.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
I saw the first ep of hungry beast and it annoyed me how it would have something based on the news then something completly stupid and not funny like one guy who was pro-panda arguing against a guy who didnt like pandas or that woman who rips off A Current Afair reporters.

Ive seen a few segments (like robot wars) since then and ive heard its gotten better so i should check it out again.

ALso whilst we're discussing other non-commercial Australian comedy, did anyone else like Newstopia? It was supposed to come back this yr but got put off due to talking about ur gen, so im not sure where its at now.
The first season was really good, i thought it lost it a bit for the second season but that was at the start of 08 and there wasnt much news to joke about, the election was over etc but when it came back for a third season (or 2nd half of 2nd season) it was better and had some really funny stuff.
Quote by jticchi
I saw the first ep of hungry beast and it annoyed me how it would have something based on the news then something completly stupid and not funny like one guy who was pro-panda arguing against a guy who didnt like pandas or that woman who rips off A Current Afair reporters.

Ive seen a few segments (like robot wars) since then and ive heard its gotten better so i should check it out again.

ALso whilst we're discussing other non-commercial Australian comedy, did anyone else like Newstopia? It was supposed to come back this yr but got put off due to talking about ur gen, so im not sure where its at now.
The first season was really good, i thought it lost it a bit for the second season but that was at the start of 08 and there wasnt much news to joke about, the election was over etc but when it came back for a third season (or 2nd half of 2nd season) it was better and had some really funny stuff.

i cant say i watched much newstopia, but what i saw was funny enough.

and John Safran's race relations has been hilarious so far. he has really kept to both his style of comedy and his urge to hang shit on absoloutly everyone
Quote by neopowell

Blog?
follow me
Quote by GArrigan
mmmmmmmmm, i think the chaser ran outta steam at the end of the second season. they just became to well known to the general population, and the media to continue being funny the way they were.

and i know my spelling its terrible

True, but it was still better than 90% of what was on tv at the time.
Quote by Butt Rayge
True, but it was still better than 90% of what was on tv at the time.

it was and in fact still is, but i think it just became a victim of it's of sucess. lik ewith the whole make a realistic wish fioundation
Quote by neopowell

Blog?
follow me
Definitely. While I don't think that skit was particularly funny, it wouldn't have been an issue had they not been so popular, and I'm sure there were many out there who enjoyed it.

They were hampered by their success in other ways aswell. I'm certain they were recognised in Australia, which would wreck their skits, hence going overseas in the last saeson.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Definitely. While I don't think that skit was particularly funny, it wouldn't have been an issue had they not been so popular, and I'm sure there were many out there who enjoyed it.

They were hampered by their success in other ways aswell. I'm certain they were recognised in Australia, which would wreck their skits, hence going overseas in the last saeson.

exactly my point.
but i always found cnnnn was funnier for some unknown reason
Quote by neopowell

Blog?
follow me
Mixing comedy with news is a new idea? I think not! You've never heard of Saturday Night Live I take it? Chevy Chase and the original not ready for prime time players were doing it back in the 1970's.
Not to mention The Frost Report and Not the 9 o'clock news in the UK.

The new idea about it is that it is hosted by young people hand-picked by Australian factual Enterntainment god Andrew Denton. I guess he didn't have much input as an EP
Quote by GArrigan
exactly my point.
but i always found cnnnn was funnier for some unknown reason

I liked cnnnn but I haven't seen as much of it as TCWOE, and it was so long ago that I can't remember it much, so I can't really compare them.
Quote by tombo32
I watched it for the first time the other day. It was ok.

Anyone else watch Good Game? I can't believe they replaced Junglist.

yeah man im with you. ruined the show and my mood for the better part of a week.

such a ridiculous decsion
Ill Take it all
Arrows and Guns.. Hundreds and more

Save you from one
Last edited by tragorious at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by LeftyDave
Mixing comedy with news is a new idea? I think not! You've never heard of Saturday Night Live I take it? Chevy Chase and the original not ready for prime time players were doing it back in the 1970's.

And The Daily Show with John Stewart and the Colbert Report here in the US.