I've learnt how to improvise, how to play acoustic songs using open chords and barre, how to play power chords, alternate picking, tremolo picking, hammer-ons (but not pull-offs). I've also learnt the basics of music theory.

And now i'm wondering what to learn next.. I want to learn to play several styles, which are camp-fire songs, folk songs, celtic songs, metal songs, classical songs, epic fantasy metal, folk metal, hammerfall-like metal, neo-classical metal, viking metal, power metal, and manowar-like metal.

At the moment, I play acoustic chord songs and improvise on top of chord progressions and backing tracks.
I think i'm lingering in the basics too long (3 years), and want to move on to the more complicated styles that I like listening to (the ones that I listed above). But I don't know any resources on the internet or in book form that teaches you how to play those styles, or what techniques/music theory to learn. Or how to transition from playing chord songs to playing advanced song structures on an electric guitar.

So i'm asking you guys, do you have any websites/books/movies/other resources for me that are targeted to the styles I want to learn? Or any advice on what to learn, in order to become good at playing those styles?
All you need to do is pick up an electric guitar and start learning songs within the genres that you've listed with the tabs here in UG.

That simple.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
+1

just learn more songs - invariably each new song will teach you something you didn't know before.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for the advice. But almost all the songs in the genres I listed, are too hard for me to play, currently. I don't have the required techniques down.
Last edited by robinlint at Oct 31, 2009,
But robinlint that is perfect. If you could play them before how will you learn? Slow them down and practice, and you'll be surprised how fast you get better.
All good questions. I recommend you check out this

Good luck!
If you are new to guitar, or even advanced and want to learn more, I recommend you check this out: Click Here

Cheers! And keep on playing!
Quote by Bonorly
But robinlint that is perfect. If you could play them before how will you learn? Slow them down and practice, and you'll be surprised how fast you get better.

Do you mean I should just pick any song I want, regardless of it's difficulty, and slow it down? (And of course, the harder the song would be, the longer it would take to get it up to full speed)
Hey:
here's a quick summary of the conversation we had on UG chat:
-You know all the techniques you need already - you just need to learn to spot when they're being used and get them to a faster speed
-The best way to a faster speed is playing things as slow as you need then speeding up slowly till you can play it full speed
- you can in theory do that to any song even something crazy like a dragonforce solo but it might take you years to get to full speed
- How quickly you learn a song will depend on how much you practice and how focussed that is e.g. i will sit for 30 mins now and memorise how this solo goes
- When you learn a song you can either play it exactly as x guitarist does or you can make it into your own style, you will learn more by exactly copying but it can be good to make it your own too
- don't try to sing and play for now, get the playing down first
- remember slow it down and you'll get there eventually!
Quote by doive
Hey:
here's a quick summary of the conversation we had on UG chat:
-You know all the techniques you need already - you just need to learn to spot when they're being used and get them to a faster speed
-The best way to a faster speed is playing things as slow as you need then speeding up slowly till you can play it full speed
- you can in theory do that to any song even something crazy like a dragonforce solo but it might take you years to get to full speed
- How quickly you learn a song will depend on how much you practice and how focussed that is e.g. i will sit for 30 mins now and memorise how this solo goes
- When you learn a song you can either play it exactly as x guitarist does or you can make it into your own style, you will learn more by exactly copying but it can be good to make it your own too
- don't try to sing and play for now, get the playing down first
- remember slow it down and you'll get there eventually!

Thanks Doive, for the help! Thank you!
I've practiced Aces High by Iron Maiden today. First I did the intro at a comfortable speed, after that the part after it, and so on. After that, I used the guitar pro speed trainer to practice each part faster and faster. After that, I started the speed trainer for the whole song, from 30% to 100%. I can now play Aces High by Iron Maiden at 90% speed. (90% is where it starts to get sloppy, 80% is not sloppy.)
Thanks so much for the help, doive

EDIT: Here's me playing Aces High by Iron Maiden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecDSZto5nWo
Last edited by robinlint at Nov 1, 2009,