I would like to record guitar and vox at home, heavy gain stuff and also to practice at night with headphones.

Would be h2 be enough to record some demos? or should i pay almost twice the price for the h4n?

thanks in advance
Unless you particularly need a portable recorder, you'd be better off buying an interface and a mic.
Quote by Beefmo
Unless you particularly need a portable recorder, you'd be better off buying an interface and a mic.

That may be correct but a good interface + shure sm57 goes over 300e easy and still loses to these portable recorders.

The zooms have more than one mic and are condensers so that means it gives you a wider range of options.

Also, my laptop gives me headaches and the portable recorder would give me the option to play wherever i want.
You're not going to get as good sound quality with a portable recorder, that is one thing to be aware of, your demos will not sound particularly good. These portable recorders are designed for picking up ambient sounds not for micing up guitar amps.
well i heard good stuff at youtube but what interfaces and mic combination's are you talking about?

thanks
Not trying to hijack this thread - If the reason you want to record your guitar playing is for you, the player, to listen to and no one else, like during practice sessions so you can review your tone, pace, etc. and listen for mistakes would a portable be alright? It seems that the general feel here is that the portable ones arent worth considering for any use.

For instance, the Line 6 Back-Track is a portable that would be able to record, playback, yudda, yudda, so you can review your playing. As long as you are not planning on using the recordings for professional purposes, is the sound quality good enough to use for improving your playing, or are they not worth it?
Last edited by CryptoSquirrel at Nov 4, 2009,