Hi! I'm kind of a pickup noob and I don't know which one I'm supposed to get..
I'm gonna go get an RG2550MZ and plan on changing the stock pups to a better one..
any suggestions?
Amp? Budget? What band sounds are you aiming for?

It all can vary from Cynic to Dream Theater.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Im a metal head but my friend likes prog so I think you shoud check out Dimarzio's Crunch lab and liquifier. John Petruchi from Dream Theater uses them.
I'm going for dream theater.. the amps I am still not sure as of yet.. I am reseraching on what to use.. do you know any good ones?
Quote by ShredMan1224
I'm going for dream theater.. the amps I am still not sure as of yet.. I am reseraching on what to use.. do you know any good ones?

Ya petruchi uses Boogie I thinl but thats expensive check out Laney, Randall and some Marshalls.
Quote by Sharkjaw
Ya petruchi uses Boogie I thinl but thats expensive check out Laney, Randall and some Marshalls.

Or used Boogie Marks.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
There are no pickups for a genre. I could use a Dimarzio X2n for blues if I wanted to and I could use a Seymour Duncan Jazz for metal.

What you seem to be looking for is something that can handle high gain well, correct?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
There are no pickups for a genre. I could use a Dimarzio X2n for blues if I wanted to and I could use a Seymour Duncan Jazz for metal.

What you seem to be looking for is something that can handle high gain well, correct?

yup something that can do that.. but I forgot to mention that I would play almost anything that sounds good.. So I'm also looking for combinations of pickups that could give that versatility..
Work on getting an amp first (see suggestions above). Then, after you've played the guitar stock through that amp for a little bit, see if you still want new pickups, and post back saying exactly what you're looking to change. See if you want more sustain, more harmonics, etc.

The amp will give you the greatest change in tone - pickups will only help to shape it somewhat.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by Sharkjaw

yeah, he uses mesa boogies... and a couple refrigerator-sized racks.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to perfectly emulate John Petrucci's tone!!! you'll go broke loooong before you succeed.
Quote by DrNick
Work on getting an amp first (see suggestions above). Then, after you've played the guitar stock through that amp for a little bit, see if you still want new pickups, and post back saying exactly what you're looking to change. See if you want more sustain, more harmonics, etc.

The amp will give you the greatest change in tone - pickups will only help to shape it somewhat.

That's a good idea.. thanks for the advice...
Quote by GrisKy
yeah, he uses mesa boogies... and a couple refrigerator-sized racks.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to perfectly emulate John Petrucci's tone!!! you'll go broke loooong before you succeed.

LOL.. I couldn't even visualize on how I'm going to do that.. I'm already breaking my ass to get the RG2550...
Quote by RR787
Or used Boogie Marks.

I'll probably go for the Marshall.. I phoned up my friend to see if we got the brand in the country and he said he never heard of it.. except for Marshall though.. XD
Assuming you get your amp sorted

Pickups...

DiMarzio D Sonic
Bare Knuckles Painkiller

No experience with Crunch Lab
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.