I got a Laney GH100L head recently & I am looking for a cabinet to go with it. I used it through my friends cab (2x12), he has 70/80s in it. I am not sure which brand they are cause it is 2nd hand self assembled cab, even the owner did not know much about it before selling it to him
The amp sounded very thin through them, so after looking around here & from my previous thread before getting the amp, one suggestion was the framus cab & somewhere else i found avatar & orange cabs but i dont know if these were 2x12s or 4x12s. So do you guys have any more to add to the list? My bugdet is almost around $850, i can raise it to $1000 but not more than that

I've changed the tubes in the amp to jjel34s already to try to tame the brightness abit, so i am looking for a darker cab to go with a really bright sounding amp
From what i know having v30 speakers makes the sound darker
Anyway, most preferably a 2x12, although I am open to 4x12 as well
Orange cabinets are fairly dark. Might one to give those a try. Framus isn't nearly as dark, I have one myself.
WTLTL 2011
I have some Wharfedale GSH12-30 speakers that come with the std Vox AC30 and it's seems to be a pretty dark speaker.
Marshall 1960TV is pretty dark. Easily acquired for about 400-600 used.
Last edited by Chetbango at Oct 31, 2009,
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
just change the speakers. Look into jensen or eminence speakers.

I will need a cab first inorder to change the speakers in it, which i dont have at the moment

Quote by fly135
I have some Wharfedale GSH12-30 speakers that come with the std Vox AC30 and it's seems to be a pretty dark speaker.

Cool, I will keep that in mind

Quote by Viking_Swede666
get a Vader cab.

I will see if i can find one, have not heard much about these cabs yet, any specific one I should be looking for?

Quote by Chetbango
Marshall 1960TV is pretty dark. Easily acquired for about 400-600 used.

I've heard of Marshall 1960A but not the Marshall 1960TV, I will try to find that one to try out & like you said its cheap too

Quote by Mark G
Orange cabinets are fairly dark. Might one to give those a try. Framus isn't nearly as dark, I have one myself.

Quote by Rhoads_1096
Orange pops in to mind, plus they have great build quality.

Ok, for now i am leaning towards Orange cabs, a lot of people seem to like em for being darker sounding.

Any thoughts on mesa cabs though?
Find a cab with G12k-100's or Texas Heats. They've got a rolled off high end and a lot of bass - which is what you want, right?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by vishal_metalhed

Any thoughts on mesa cabs though?

The Mesa traditional cabs are amazing, very full and nicely balanced. Orange is darker sounding, and a lot of people don't like that. But you asked specifically for a dark cab.

Quote by AxSilentxLine
Engl Standard with V60's if you can afford one

Muddy.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Not in my experience maybe you just didn't spend enough time with it I find it to be an incredibly articulate cab

I've A/B'ed it with the V30 pro, and I prefered the V30 pro by a long shot. I'd say I spent about 2 hours with it using about 5 different guitars (including an Ibanez 7 string) and two different amp setups (ENGL Invader, Marshall JMP-1 + 8008). The V30s just feel more balanced to me, especially in the low end.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
I've A/B'ed it with the V30 pro, and I prefered the V30 pro by a long shot. I'd say I spent about 2 hours with it using about 5 different guitars (including an Ibanez 7 string) and two different amp setups (ENGL Invader, Marshall JMP-1 + 8008). The V30s just feel more balanced to me, especially in the low end.

Well hey i'd prefer a V30 pro as well but i'm not made of money lol but as far a good low end goes you can't go wrong with any Engl cabs imo
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Well hey i'd prefer a V30 pro as well but i'm not made of money lol but as far a good low end goes you can't go wrong with any Engl cabs imo

He listed a $1000 budget, so money isn't a factor in my equation and I hear you. The Invader + 7 string through the V60s roared like a ****ing dinosaur with ADHD, but the palm mutes put me off.
WTLTL 2011
nice different options so far, hopefully I will be able to locate them all to try out

Thanks for the input so far guys
I have a a VH-100 (a two channel version of your amp) with an Avatar 412 with V30s. I had trouble coping with the brightness at first but now Im rather fond of it. I sounds different than most other amps I hear and I like that. I have put in JJ e34ls and I run the treble and presence at around 3-4 so its not really harsh like it was in the beginning but its still got a bit of bite.

Keep in mind that V30s have a mid hump in them too. Im happy with my Avatar, but with your budget you probably want to try an Orange or Mesa. I would stay away from Marshall cabs because I find that the greenbacks in them are too harsh for my taste regardless of the amp Im playing.
Sig What?
mesa recto oversized cab?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I say look at a used Krank Rev or Stein 4x12, a used Mesa OS Recto, or a Vader.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by apak

agreed. i have one myself, and it has a very good lower end tone. i used to own a madison divinity and now own a peavey 6505 and it handles gain like no other
Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Peavey 6505+
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
-
Morley Little Alligator Volume
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer Turbo
Boss TU-2

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
one of te darkest sounding cabs iv come across is the orange hp8 cab with the gk12 i think in it lol

super sound super quality weights a ton n built like a tank id get one of them. i did
Quote by Mark G
The Mesa traditional cabs are amazing, very full and nicely balanced. Orange is darker sounding, and a lot of people don't like that. But you asked specifically for a dark cab.

Yup but i was just thinking about them cause some people say their rectifiers tend to be brighter than their other amps But thats a bit off-topic lol
Quote by apak
mesa recto oversized cab

Okay, finally a mesa showed up If that can make a 6505 sound good then its something i am looking forward to check out
Quote by darth awsome
have a a VH-100 (a two channel version of your amp) with an Avatar 412 with V30s. I had trouble coping with the brightness at first but now Im rather fond of it. I sounds different than most other amps I hear and I like that. I have put in JJ e34ls and I run the treble and presence at around 3-4 so its not really harsh like it was in the beginning but its still got a bit of bite.
Keep in mind that V30s have a mid hump in them too. Im happy with my Avatar, but with your budget you probably want to try an Orange or Mesa. I would stay away from Marshall cabs because I find that the greenbacks in them are too harsh for my taste regardless of the amp Im playing.

I guess its just the laney tone, its different from the rest of the amps, but i do wish they had made it a little less brighter Congrats on that amp though, I wanted that one but none were showing up used but my gh100l showed up for $300 so i took it. Thats why i have a such a big budget left around with me
Quote by apak

+1, never had a darker cab, that includes orange 4 and 2x12's. OS mesa didn't suit my needs, but might work well for you.

for tightness, i like diamond... admittedly, has more to do with the speakers (i'll get to that), but for not having much noticable resonance without being what you'd call bright, it's tough to beat.

i also found Engl cabs muddy, but i've only played a handful, and not for extended periods of time at that.

also, construction of the cab is going to dictate resonance, but your speakers' responses will have sooo much more control over your tone. if dark is what you want, start downloading PDFs of various speakers' frequency response/impedance charts. someone mentioned v30's earlier as being particularly dark... couldn't disagree more. while being a great speaker that many guitarists go to, for you it seems like a bad fit. they're extremely middy, and many versions based on the original have some of the most prominent extended high-ends you'll find in a 12".