Page 1 of 2
i do metallica covers and deciding on my next guitar. i'm thinking about the epihphone explorers, a jackson king V (with floyd), or the $500 version of kirk hammet's guitar. But I play more of james' parts and do kirk's part sometimes. I do the lead parts in master and battery and one.
Well james toured with a king v on the master of puppets tour, so I guess you can't go wrong with it. Personally I'm not much of a fan of the hammet , just don't like how they feel.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
you could also get a ltd explorer. I own a ltd ex-401 and really like it. and it's kinda Hetfield style
You don't have to have a specific guitar to sound like Metallica. Over the years they have played a bit of everything anyways, from Fender Strats (Kirk), to Les Pauls. Any guitar with humbucking pickups should get you close, as long as you have a decent amp.
Quote by Joowst
you could also get a ltd explorer. I own a ltd ex-401 and really like it. and it's kinda Hetfield style

which color do you think looks good
I own it in olymipic white and prefer it over the black ones. But I think thats a matter of opinion. But a white one always gets me thinking about hetfields "eet fuk" explorer
EX-401 in Olympic White.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well.. Hetfield guitar you say? **** the V, Explorer is where it's at! ESP Explorer too. I really like those.. oooh, shiny, beautiful things..
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by sgc09
which color do you think looks good

Which color do you think looks good?
buy anything with active 81/85 emg's and your set for metallica, just about every guitar james ever used has active emg's
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Quote by camaross427
buy anything with active 81/85 emg's and your set for metallica, just about every guitar james ever used has active emg's

He uses 81/60.
Any Explorer or V for Hetfield in a cover band. From a white Epi V with invaders for Kill 'em All in the studio to the custom Ken Lawrence explorers he uses on tour sometimes he's played tons of stuff that does the job. As long as you have high output pickups, preferably actives, and scoop your mids on your amp you'll be able to get his rhythm tone.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Any superstrat you feel comfortable with that has a floyd and good pickups will be excellent for metallica.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Matt420740
You don't have to have a specific guitar to sound like Metallica. Over the years they have played a bit of everything anyways, from Fender Strats (Kirk), to Les Pauls. Any guitar with humbucking pickups should get you close, as long as you have a decent amp.

go away you dont know anythnig
LTD explorer either the EX or FX series would be great

But really it doesn't matter. playing with a fender might look weird but not many people will care as long as you sound good
Quote by Tedis1111
go away you dont know anythnig

Oh, the irony

TS, anything with humbuckers.

I'd worry more about your amp if I were you...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Oh, the irony

no member of metallica ever played a fender strat and 'anything with humbuckers' just isnt true because there is such a variety of tones with pickups
Quote by steven seagull
Oh, the irony

i agree with all of this, ESPECIALLY the first bit

^you tend to lose the subtle differences when you're using hi-gain tones, in which case the amp makes a much bigger difference than any guitar will. and any guitar with humbuckers will work for metallica tones, whether it's 100% spot on or not, and you're never going to get that close anyway, unless you are metallica.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Dec 28, 2009,
this forum has gone too far with right idea, amp makes the biggest difference in your sound however the guitar is still a major factor. If it wasnt all guitars would have 20p pickups in
Quote by Tedis1111
no member of metallica ever played a fender strat and 'anything with humbuckers' just isnt true because there is such a variety of tones with pickups

Go away, you know nothing.

Kirk has been playing anything with humbuckers. ESP superstrats, Fender strats, Jackson superstrats and RR's, Gibson V's, Les Pauls, Ibanez'es, hell, if i'm not mistaking, i've seen pictures of him playing a telecaster with a humbucker.

Do you really think if rockstarts have 100 cazillian dollars they will stick just to 1 type of guitars? Dude...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Tedis1111
this forum has gone too far with right idea, amp makes the biggest difference in your sound however the guitar is still a major factor. If it wasnt all guitars would have 20p pickups in

We all said 'humbuckers' meaning decent humbuckers (they cost 50-60$ a piece??), not:

Hey dude, here is what you do: Get any guitar with THE CHEAPEST HUMBUCKERS in them. The cheaper, the better. You will obtain metallica tone instantly with 20p pickups...

Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
if someone can show me a vid of kirk playing a fender strat i will give them £99999

dont forget all of his ESPs use EMGs and he doesnt use jacksons all the much anymore. The gibsons he only uses for stuff like fade to black (live)

of course he owns a fender but does that mean he records of plays live with it? no it doesnt
Last edited by Tedis1111 at Dec 28, 2009,
I admit that I don't know as much as you guys, but I have to admit I have seen Kirk and James play with just about anything under the sun. Hell just watch the Monster DVD and how the guitar tech talked about how large their collection is. Do you honestly think in that size collection there are no Fenders? Come on.

Also, I learned but sort of knew that for me to get the sound I was shooting for it's all about both of them, not just one. The guitar and what kind of pickups it has PLUS the amp. I also remember Zakk once saying, there is nothing better than a Gibson through a Marshall. While that is relative to what you are discussing, the point is sound.
Quote by Tedis1111
if someone can show me a vid of kirk playing a fender strat i will give them £99999

dont forget all of his ESPs use EMGs and he doesnt use jacksons all the much anymore. The gibsons he only uses for stuff like fade to black (live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVcQLr0s40M
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by LP_CL
We all said 'humbuckers' meaning decent humbuckers (they cost 50-60$ a piece??), not:

Hey dude, here is what you do: Get any guitar with THE CHEAPEST HUMBUCKERS in them. The cheaper, the better. You will obtain metallica tone instantly with 20p pickups...

umm thats what your saying...your saying pickups make no difference and imsaying yes thy do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVcQLr0s40M this is an ESP
Last edited by Tedis1111 at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by SquierLolz
owned

Someone never saw the one video.

Even though it was an esp vintage plus, a strat is a strat

i said fender
Quote by Tedis1111

of course he owns a fender but does that mean he records of plays live with it? no it doesnt

Christ, just gtfo

GUITARS kirk: ONSTAGE
Dan Electro U2
Fender Stratocaster - cream
Fernandes Flying V
Fernandes Stratocaster
Gibson Flying V #1 - black
Gibson Flying V #2 - red
Gibson Flying V #3 - black
Gibson Les Paul Custom - black
Gibson Les Paul Standard - cherry burst
Godin Multiac (acoustic)
Jackson Randy Rhodes Custom
Jackson Soloist
Ibanez RG470
Tom Anderson ProAM

Notes/Quotes

* "I used my ESP Signature guitars, my '58 Les Paul, a Mary Kay Strat, a '62 Strat and a '58 Flying V. There was also an old Gibson Super 400 and a Reso-matic [Resolectric-MJF].The bulk of it though was the Les Paul. That's the guitar I always play at home, the sound is truly incredible and those PAF pickups just kill me-that guitar doesn't leave my sight! The Mummy is one of my best sounding guitars. It's just based on a movie poster. On tour, I used to walk out with it and people just went 'Wow!' " Total Guitar, February 1998

Now give me my £99999 or shut the hell up.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Tedis1111

for all you know he might've recorded with a strat at some point, but never actually been photographed/filmed doing so.

Loads of people record with different guitars to what they gig with.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
for all you know he might've recorded with a strat at some point, but never actually been photographed/filmed doing so.

Loads of people record with different guitars to what they gig with.

He did use his fender '62 strat live. I found a quote from an interview where Kirk himself sais it. I posted it above.

oh, btw, tithead, I reported you for trolling, being stupid and being an ass.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
He did use his fender '62 strat live. I found a quote from an interview where Kirk himself sais it. I posted it above.

oh, btw, tithead, I reported you for trolling, being stupid and being an ass.

lol im not trolling and why am i wrong and your not? surely guitar tone is all opinion and not all guitars sound the same thats a fact if you have a good ear
Quote by Tedis1111
lol im not trolling and why am i wrong and your not? surely guitar tone is all opinion and not all guitars sound the same thats a fact if you have a good ear

Just shush and give me my £99999. You just have to know AND BE ABLE TO ADMIT when you're wrong. Stop being a baby.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Just shush and give me my £99999. You just have to know AND BE ABLE TO ADMIT when you're wrong. Stop being a baby.

lol.....just lol
Page 1 of 2