Hiya guys, I'm hoping you can offer me some distortion pedal advise. I currently use the distortion of my amp, its a solid-state MARSHALL MG100 (with a bunch of FX pedals going through the FX loop). I really like the sound but would like to see see if I can get a more powerful live sound.

I've got a valve (JMV) marshall amp too - the clean channel is amazing altho I find the distortion-channels are very noisy and hard to control so I havent used it live - and thus one of the reasons i wanna switch to pedal distortion.

I'm after a distortion sound in the vain of bands like Korn, Dir En Grey, Linkin Park's first two albums - a strong powerful tone. I'm not fussy about the cost even if its pretty expensive just want to get a good professional sound.

I've read some mixed reviews/youtubed the Boss MT-2, Boss DS-2 pedals.. I spotted the electro harmonix Big Muff in some rigs of bands i like along with an ibanez tube screamer pedal. I'm not really sure what to go for or what to look further into. I'm hesitant about losing the colour I get with my amp distortion with a pedal but would like to get my FX out of the fx loop.

Can you guys please help me out with some suggestions/advice? Thanks a lot
Mike
Quote by mikebbx
Hiya guys, I'm hoping you can offer me some distortion pedal advise. I currently use the distortion of my amp, its a solid-state MARSHALL MG100 (with a bunch of FX pedals going through the FX loop). I really like the sound but would like to see see if I can get a more powerful live sound.

I've got a valve (JMV) marshall amp too - the clean channel is amazing altho I find the distortion-channels are very noisy and hard to control so I havent used it live - and thus one of the reasons i wanna switch to pedal distortion.

I'm after a distortion sound in the vain of bands like Korn, Dir En Grey, Linkin Park's first two albums - a strong powerful tone. I'm not fussy about the cost even if its pretty expensive just want to get a good professional sound.

I've read some mixed reviews/youtubed the Boss MT-2, Boss DS-2 pedals.. I spotted the electro harmonix Big Muff in some rigs of bands i like along with an ibanez tube screamer pedal. I'm not really sure what to go for or what to look further into. I'm hesitant about losing the colour I get with my amp distortion with a pedal but would like to get my FX out of the fx loop.

Can you guys please help me out with some suggestions/advice? Thanks a lot
Mike

There's your problem mate, I would suggest getting a new amp instead.
Ibanez: RGD2127Z
Ibanez: RG1527
Ibanez: RG1570
Ibanez: S7420
Ibanez: JS100
Dean: Razorback Cemetery Gates
Peavey: 6505+
Fractal Audio: Axe FX II mark 2
Mesa Boogie: Recto 4x12

7>6! Join the 7-string legion!
If you have a Marshall JVM, then you need to learn how to EQ it because that amp can just about do everything. I can't believe you'd rather use the MG live then the JVM...
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
I you don't wanna use the jvm I'll take it.

Just take the time to eq Properly, don't just grab tell bass knob and jam it to 10, or the gain straight to 10, have some patience Dude.

But if your gonna go with pedal distortion, I wouldn't suggest the mt-2, I thinkits noisy.

I had/have a ds-1(it lit on fire no joke) and I find boss pedals to be a bit sketchy now.

Don't expect to be able to just jam every knob to 10 and expect eargasms.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Last edited by westdyolf at Oct 31, 2009,
Oh and color from an mg?

You got dem d*cks in yo ears?
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by mikebbx

.... I spotted the electro harmonix Big Muff in some rigs of bands i like along with an ibanez tube screamer pedal....
Mike

I have the tube screamer and a EH big muff w/ top boost. Good combo, as a one-or-the-other or as a both at once. I usually leave the screamer on the whole time, use the muff for heavy heavy.
I have MT-2 modded, so the sound is not so harsh and uses germanium diodes for clipping, so the sound is "warmer" I use about 60% of gain and it doesn't sound noisy to me
My Band
ESP Eclipse II ACSB SD Jazz/JB
Bugera 6262 head
Benor 4x12 Celestion 12T-75
Quote by westdyolf
I you don't wanna use the jvm I'll take it.

Just take the time to eq Properly, don't just grab tell bass knob and jam it to 10, or the gain straight to 10, have some patience Dude.

But if your gonna go with pedal distortion, I wouldn't suggest the mt-2, I thinkits noisy.

I had/have a ds-1(it lit on fire no joke) and I find boss pedals to be a bit sketchy now.

Don't expect to be able to just jam every knob to 10 and expect eargasms.

dude how did ur ds1 lite on fire
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Hmmm...

I smell a troll...

+1

This guy can't be serious.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mike0206
dude how did ur ds1 lite on fire

This, I would like to know also, I have a Ds-1, and I love the thing, it works great on the clean channel of tube amps, but if it caught on fire I want to know how, so my foot doesnt one day burst into flames.

But I would reccomend a Fulltone OCD version 4. Fulltone has amazing pedal.
Quote by ethan_hanus
This, I would like to know also, I have a Ds-1, and I love the thing, it works great on the clean channel of tube amps, but if it caught on fire I want to know how, so my foot doesnt one day burst into flames.

But I would reccomend a Fulltone OCD version 4. Fulltone has amazing pedal.

He probably used the wrong power supply. When I was a newb I tried using a 1200ma 18v power supply on my DS-1 and it ruined the pedal.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
He probably used the wrong power supply. When I was a newb I tried using a 1200ma 18v power supply on my DS-1 and it ruined the pedal.

ya man but i still cant see the thing liteing on fire
Quote by mike0206
ya man but i still cant see the thing liteing on fire

With that much power going through the DS-1s capacitors (rated for 12v), they would atleast burn from the inside. That's what happened to mine. It's not all that unlikely that if he left it plugged in long enough that it would catch fire.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I'd imagine it didn't burst into flames like Michael Jackson's head, but probably blew a cap and started smoking a lot..