I'm going to start playing in a sorta melodic death metal band... I'm aiming for a tone similar to amon amarth, CoB, dethklok... I'm a lead player, and obviously I'll be playing rhythm lines too. I'm on a budget, so I'm looking at the Bugera Amp line. I keep hearing great things about the 6262 and the 333xl. I've done some research but I'm still a little confused about these amps. I know they are loosely based on peavys, but I'm not very familiar with peavy amps.
What exactly are the differences between the 6262 and the 333?
Tonal differences?
What can I expect from both amps?
What validity do the claims of reliability have?
Which would get me closer to the "dethklok" style tones?
...You have a Mesa Road King.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface

Yeah, I love my Bug but you don't really need a new amp for metal.. Get a nice OD pedal and you're good.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
The 6262 is based off the Peavey 6505+ and will sound darker and a bit more aggressive - better for rhythm me thinks.

The 333x is based off the Peavey XXX and will sound brighter and bit less agrressive - better for leads me thinks.

I do hear the cleans are better on the Bugera's than the Peaveys (at least the 6505) but personally, I'd rather have the Peavey XXX over all of these.

The reliability issues are valid.

Can't really answer your last question - I'm thinking the 6262.

PS: Read up on BeerChurchs blog on these amps and be prepared to give it a once over or do some fix up yourself to avoid issues.

PSS: I have heard that the more recent 6262/333s have these issues addressed. I have seen people recently have issues however so it will be awhile before I can claim the Bugera's prone free.

PSSS: I've played the 6262 but never owned a Bugera.

PSSSS: Have you checked your local craigslist and the link in my sig.

Quote by Doodleface

lol - I didn't even see that.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 31, 2009,
The mesa isnt an amp I'd EVER take to practice with these guys... things get a little out of hand at practice and at shows with this crowd. If im going to inevitably destroy an amp because of the craziness of the band... i'd much rather it be around the $600 range rather than the $7000 dollar range. I've decided (by learning the hard way) that the mesa belongs parked at home in my recording studio. Period.

That aside, any bugera owners have any input as to which would be better for a dethklok kinda tone?

PS Thanks for the input 311
If you don't need cleans, just get a used Peavey 5150. It will be a hell of a lot more reliable and cost less.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by shizzybrane
The mesa isnt an amp I'd EVER take to practice with these guys... things get a little out of hand at practice and at shows with this crowd. If im going to inevitably destroy an amp because of the craziness of the band... i'd much rather it be around the $600 range rather than the $7000 dollar range. I've decided (by learning the hard way) that the mesa belongs parked at home in my recording studio. Period.

That aside, any bugera owners have any input as to which would be better for a dethklok kinda tone?

I thought I was the only one that happened to. Haha. My VHT UL sits in my studio and I gig the XXX or the Marshall JMP-1.

edit: yeah, 311 is okay by me too..
Quote by shizzybrane

What exactly are the differences between the 6262 and the 333?
Tonal differences?
What can I expect from both amps?
What validity do the claims of reliability have?
Which would get me closer to the "dethklok" style tones?

6262 = 6505+ (2 channel pedal, 3 channels on the amp, passive eq)
333XL = JSX (3 channels on amp and pedal, active eq)

Tonal Differences
6262 - Raw, Dark, Aggressive (Think Death Metal, Melodic Metal, Metalcore)
333XL - Compressed, Bright, Articulate (Think Joe Satriani, Gus G, Nevermore, John 5)

The reliability from Bugera has been better. The people that are coming forward with issues now own the old stock of amps. I haven't heard a single issue about the 2009 models. Like 311 said, BeerChurch's guide is like a Bugera bible, read it, learn it, love it.

The 6262 would be what you would want for Dethlok tones.

Many of the Bugera Militia that have done some tubeswaps say that a set of JJ 12AX7's can really smooth out the lead distortion, which could be something you'd be interested it.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I'm fixing to buy 333xl, just seemed fatter and tighter than the 6262 which i intially was looking at.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by shizzybrane

Bugera should be perfect for you then

You are welcome

Thanks for comment BobDetroit

Seriously, after reading BeerChurchs' blog if you (anyone reading this) are comfortable with the Fix Its outlined there, then by all means. It is a good tone to value ratio. If you buy a Bugera, especially the older ones, and do nothing until it breaks then.....I'm not sure what to say.

There ARE still issues with the Bugera's including a recent 1990. I'm compiling a list.
Lol, so you have a $7000 amp just so it can sit at home and never be played live on stage?

Anyways you can't go wrong with the 6262.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's