I know how to do pinch harmonics due from watching lots of tutorials.
However, when I try to do them, I can't hear any pinch harmonics at all. I tried for ages and failed... And I'm pretty sure I'm doing them right.
I have to hold the pick quite low to the tip, then strum the string and just barely touch the string with my thumb a millisecond after the pick strums the note.
Some people said pick it downwards and then the same slightly touch the string with the thumb, and some said do it with the bridge pickup. I tried both, but didn't help...

Is it my guitar and amp?
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard with alnico classic humbucker pickups
-Peavey Vypyr 15

From my thoughts, it may be because of my amp... but is it possible to do pinch harmonics from this amp?

Hopefully it's me doing pinch harmonics wrong, rather than the gear I have aren't capable of doing so.

So is it my gear that's preventing pinch harmonics or what?
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
vibrato, do you use it?
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Mh, I doubt that it's your gear that is at fault. I mean, you can do pinch harmonics on acoustics, too. ^^

Maybe you should just play around with your pinch-harmonic-technique, maybe your attempt isn't quite right, mmh... ^^
†h¥ ÅbØmInÅb£€ §Øu£§ §HÅ£† iN¢In€®Å†€ In h€ÅV€N, wHi£€ pÅnD€MØNiUm'§ VØ£i†iØn §HÅ£† g®ÅN† u§ PØW€®!
Okay have you got the amp clean?
Where on the string are you picking?
Are you trying it on multiple strings?
Are you trying to do it on an open string?
Is your guitar plugged in?
Do you have the tone down?
If its none of these its prob a technique thing just keep it up
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Oct 31, 2009,
I had the same problem as you, here is the thread I posted: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1102707 I can now do them very well.

Make sure you are using the bridge pickup and distortion. Your gear is fine for pinches. For the picking, I pick the string at a downward angle and 'dig' into the string. I know you probably feel like everyone gets it so easily and you don't, but keep trying. It took me hours after hours of sitting there, hearing nothing, until I finally got a couple. Then with more practice you will learn exactly where to pick to get the harmonic. For me the 10th fret of the G string was the easiest place to get them when I was starting.

And yes it is possible on the amp, I have a Vypyr as well.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Snpfox at Oct 31, 2009,
Use the bridge pickup (treble pickup on the pickup-selector), set the Vypyr to a high-gain amp model on the red channel (XXX, JSX, 6505, K-Stein, Rec, Dzl) and practise it.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
well, it's definitely not your gear :P not trying to sound mean if i'm coming off that way. i have a fender telecaster with a fender amp, and it's DIFFICULT to do pinch harmonics, but it can be done. just gotta practice it. so, it may be the technique you are using and some frets its pretty much impossible to get a pinch out of, but once you find the right ones, you'll be able to do it. it's not the gear though lol
It just takes time. Nobody gets it at first.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
The amp would be able to handle it, and using your bridge pick up does help. The thing is, for pinches, each fret has a special area, or "node" (i think it's called) where you have to pluck the string and pinch it to get the right sound. Just pluck all over the strings in the picup area until you get one. The twlelfth fret it is can usually be pinched around the neck pickup area on most of the guitars i've used.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
I thought it was my gear before too, but you realllyyy need to like pick into the strings, I mean like don't go to far but really push your pick down into it to getthe pick finger hit.

It's difficult but can be done on acoustics( I can now ) and it's just like all new techniques, start slow and correct, then fond what's comfortabe with you.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Pick and thumb should practically touch the string at the same time. Try doing it on every string on a variety of frets. Also move your picking hand up and down whatever string you're on - find those sweet spots.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I find that when I do like zakk wylde squeals it works better closer to my bridge bickup(infront if it)

But don't get discouraged, It pays of, I finnsly got my sweeps I not make my ears bleed
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
I can do pinch harmonics with that exact setup. What you need to do is to work on your technique. Basically what you want to do is hit the string with your thumb after you pick it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks guys, I just got my first pinch harmonic! Woo ....
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
congrats, now keep repeating the pinch harmonics by playing a simple lick using pinch harmonic throughout on as many strings as possible or do a complete scale just using harmonics, it`s one thing being able to do it once but mastery is achieved through repitition.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Oct 31, 2009,
What about using a thicker pick? For me, I can't get a pinch harmonic on my 0.6mm pick. Its way easier for me with a 1mm pick
maybe you should look up what harmonics are before you try to play them. Once you know what they are you'll know how to produce them. People who say "just pick like this on the strings near the bridge" are ignorant so to speak. They know what can happen, but not why.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...