well... I am a guitarist/vocalist in my band. (guit,bass,drums). We've just recorded our EP and we're about to release it as soon as it 's finished... however, We're about to have a gig in 3 weeks.. .We're playing all our songs (which we can play perfectly) plus a few other songs (we haven't really decided which ones yet)

today we were about to have rehearsal as we all earlier agreed, but they (drummer and the bassist) both said taht they don't really feel like practicing today and there comes a bunch of excuses such as "it's party night, we don't know which songs we're gonna play, etc)

I told them i expect them not to put the band the last in the "priority line"
and what i got back was;" I'm in this band for fun, but looks like you're looking for something more" .. (that's what one of them said to me)

Well it's true.. i want something more than just fun ( but i'm still having fun, huh)... i want us to play this gig perfectly since it's been a long long time sice our last gig (we've spent quite a lot of time recording and improving our songs)...
I realise i am being a prick around here, but i think it's completely normal for us to work hard on this, because the gig is only 3 weeks away... (we practice on weekends only)

how can this problem be solved? should i just step a level back and have this for fun only and maybe start or join another band (i've always wanted to play trombone in a brass band or ska band) and take that one seriously, because a band "just for fun" is sure not enough for me..

well this was my.. question/confession :P feel free to call me whatever you want, it's gonna make me feel better

Cheers
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Last edited by Serjem at Oct 31, 2009,
DO NOT FEEL IT<S YOUR FAULT!!!!!take your music ser. you have the talent now use it don,t abuse it!!!
i was in the same situation once. we had to get rid of our singer. and i agree with u. what i think u have to do is tell him that he can have fun and take it seriously at the same time. if he doesnt want to take it seriously, then u will probably have to find a different bass player(it was just the bass player right?) but dont get rid of him till u find someone else that can do it for sure. a lazy bassist is better than no bassist
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
i was in the same situation once. we had to get rid of our singer. and i agree with u. what i think u have to do is tell him that he can have fun and take it seriously at the same time. if he doesnt want to take it seriously, then u will probably have to find a different bass player(it was just the bass player right?) but dont get rid of him till u find someone else that can do it for sure. a lazy bassist is better than no bassist

well no...

it seems that i'm the only person in the band that's taking it seriously... you know what i mean?

plus it's hard to find musicians around here, so replacing them usually doesn't work
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
You have your mind set already. Start another project. They want to have fun and they're not even pretending like they want to be a serious band. It seems to me that you're just a bit afraid/lazy to find other people.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Well, he's from Slovenia. I don't have any idea how easy/difficult it is to find players there, so I won't comment about that.

If your next gig is 3 weeks out, I'd say you could probably let this one slide. You say you have the songs down perfectly, so 2 practices before may be enough. If they want to cut either of those, then you've probably got a problem. If you are playing shows about once a month, you really should be practicing once a week to keep sharp, but missing one shouldn't be the end of the World. If they persist in this behavior though, yeah, you're going to need to find some more reliable band members.
Quote by chokmool
Well, he's from Slovenia. I don't have any idea how easy/difficult it is to find players there, so I won't comment about that.

If your next gig is 3 weeks out, I'd say you could probably let this one slide. You say you have the songs down perfectly, so 2 practices before may be enough. If they want to cut either of those, then you've probably got a problem. If you are playing shows about once a month, you really should be practicing once a week to keep sharp, but missing one shouldn't be the end of the World. If they persist in this behavior though, yeah, you're going to need to find some more reliable band members.

True dat.

It still doesn't hurt to try and find something else.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
snort a mountain of blow and watch the movie "rock star"

...seriously, except that part about cocain, that was a joke.
Two things I see here....

1. Your gig is in three weeks. Tonight isn't good. How about another night? Or do YOU have other priorities, or do THEY have other priorities?

2. Probably the biggest barrier to bands being able to work together is a lack of agreement on what they want out of it. You need to have people who have the same goals and priorities when it comes to music. If you want to get signed, and the other guys are just in it for kicks, it won't work - no matter what you do this week or next week or the week after that.

If you want others to put the band first, you have to find people who will openly commit to that, and then do that yourself.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
huh I guess i was overreacting... however i think we really should talk aboutour goals
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Serjem
huh I guess i was overreacting... however i think we really should talk aboutour goals
talk is good. but realize you won't necessarily change anyone else's intention toward this band. what you will accomplish is to all know what each other wants and expects.

Quote by Serjem
because a band "just for fun" is sure not enough for me..
then after you find out what everyone else wants, you need to gradually move away from this band as it is now, into whatever situation suits you.

Maybe that means you leaving this band entirely. Maybe that means looking for a replacement or two in the band you have now. Just depends on what others in the band want. Set your own goals for yourself. Find others who share those goals. Move slowly, but surely.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.